John Lund Jr talks about the future of tuning.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Having a ton of thoughts on this... But now I'm wondering if the pre ~1975 exemption vehicles could basically be like surrogates for all the current engines and mods we love. Think about it, people buy up whatever cars pre 1975, doesn't even have to be a Mustang, Coyote swap a '55 Cadillac, GT500 swap a 1960 Dodge truck, ZR1 swap a 1966 Corvette. That way you get all the modern advancements of the newer engines, the mods are already a plenty out in the marketplace even if they stop being produced now, and you skirt emissions! Lmao

Right now everything over 25 years old is emissions exempt. That is why R32 and R33 GTRs are being bought up right now. I have yet to hear if that is going to change.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Right now everything over 25 years old is emissions exempt. That is why R32 and R33 GTRs are being bought up right now. I have yet to hear if that is going to change.
Not true.

25 years is for importation based on DOT requirements, not EPA.

Emissions vary State to State.

Arizona requires tests for 1967-1995 on steady state rollers. 1996+ OBD2 ready check.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Not true.

25 years is for importation based on DOT requirements, not EPA.

Emissions vary State to State.

Arizona requires tests for 1967-1995 on steady state rollers. 1996+ OBD2 ready check.

Gotcha. I always thought the importing was just a byproduct of an emissions statute.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
FYI gentleman. These are modified rules under the original law. I recieved a letter today on another standard change concerning particle allowances in my field. Big changes coming. These blue collar fines far outweigh any white collar fines.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Is there any legal way to fight any of this?

I'm tired of this tyrannical, overbearing ****ing federal government sticking its bloated, useless, freedom trampling liberal controlled ass in my ****ing life and business.

Meanwhile in china and india they dont give two ****s about the environment or "efforts" to reduce pollution. The fact that this country's bullshit government will needlessly overburden its citizens while ignoring the real polluters is criminal.

**** off and die EPA.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Lists of customers, like us hobbyists, or list of dealers who bought from them?

Example, I bought a cat pipe from VMP or any other retailer, does the retailer give up my address? What about a tune from Lund/etc? Could the EPA demand my info from them?

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Show of hands. Who has called their U.S representative and senators?

What's the RPM act I've been hearing about?

SEMA seems to be absolutely silent on this and content and excited to embrace the electric future.

If I need a revision to my tune say for a bigger TB, can this be done or is it now illegal?

Is there any legal way to fight any of this?

I'm tired of this tyrannical, overbearing ****ing federal government sticking its bloated, useless, freedom trampling liberal controlled ass in my ****ing life and business.

Meanwhile in china and india they dont give two ****s about the environment or "efforts" to reduce pollution. The fact that this country's bullshit government will needlessly overburden its citizens while ignoring the real polluters is criminal.

**** off and die EPA.

Bullet box > Ballot box.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Start supporting local and keep the chatter to a minimum on open forums.

SEMA seems to be absolutely silent on this and content and excited to embrace the electric future.

Organizations don’t bite the hand that feeds them most.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Example, I bought a cat pipe from VMP or any other retailer, does the retailer give up my address? What about a tune from Lund/etc? Could the EPA demand my info from them?
You so they can send you a scary letter.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
That video was stupid.

I wish he wouldn't have compared it to guns, or alcohol sales at bars. Idiot. Tax stamps on modifications? Why in the **** would you say that?

I don't agree with the government intervening on modifying vehicles and saying what you can and can't do.
This + 1,000,000

He lost me when he started talking about guns

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Right so I guess a bunch of us are going to get knocks with warrants to inspect the cars in our garages? Lmfao this is starting to sound like Nazi ****ing Germany. I hope I'm wrong.

From that point I guess it could be a potential fix it situation with no fine if you play dumb? Or likely a fine and fix it proof. Should be free and clear after that point though. ;)

Lol if they are going to start doing that then, well...............................................

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
we have no inspection here, many of the cars i see daily wouldn't be able to pass anyway. this area is simply too poor to make it work...it's also too dumb to make it work.

i also had to goto the airport at memphis to find EV plug-ins, until this new local hotel was built. they have their work cut out for em in the rural south

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

So you are saying, consumers' names and addresses have been released, to the EPA, as terms of these lawsuits???

I honestly don't know. But if you look through the list of suits I linked, some of them have court documents that show what was handed over. I doubt they're using it to target individuals, and more to establish the scope of the business. Fines are based on how many violations they're involved in.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
This makes no sense. I can understand them going after tuners for changing the tune to allow removing cats but to go after the guy who installs a supercharger and changes the tune that's just dumb. If you take a 5.0 and put a supercharger on it and tune it there is virtually no difference in emissions vs a factory GT500.

It would definitely impact emissions. Manifold pressure, parasitics, timing and AFR are BIG levers when it comes to that.

They don't care. If they had their way going from a 245 to 315 tire would be illegal because it will impact the certified fuel consumption.

And this goes with the statement above. They are incredible stringent. You change a fitting's form on the intake manifold, no matter how slightly? That's an AECD. You have to disclose it to EPA/CARB, and do a battery of emissions tests to prove transparency.

Although to be specific tires would fall under greenhouse gas (GHG) certification rather than emissions. But that's another discussion.

Based on the EPA link I posted about VMP, it looks like they're most concerned with retaining EGR, which I'd say most of us do. Not turning off the CEL from emissions faults/no cats: these are the 2 that would be the biggest issue for people modding. However, if that's all the length they'll go, I don't see swapping the midpipe and reloading the stock tune or getting a "legal" full emissions tune loaded up every once in awhile that big of a deal. CARB compliant parts are the bigger issue, but most states haven't and hopefully won't adopt that.

My hope is EV actually adopts rather quickly by 2030, and the ICE cars on the road start dropping off big time, then the EPA won't have as much reason to focus on us little guys because the masses are making the big changes towards transportation pollution. Going after 500 guys running catless when 60, 70, 80% of the population has converted to EV will make NO sense. It may even get to a point where states back off completely on all the emissions testing once EV is adopted, that may be a pipe dream but it's logical.

I don't know for sure, but the EPA can't enforce emissions on private property correct? A matter of fact I don't see how they could... Or at least efficiently. What I'm getting at, is drag strips, circle tracks, private lots, road courses etc. would become much more popular if ICE was outlawed on public roads (I'm thinking like 25+ years out, and praying not).

Even if they do somehow have jurisdiction to enforce on private property, there's no way they would have the resources to actually find everyone. And by this logic, does that mean they're going to start looking for ****ing lawn mowers and side by sides with emissions removed??? Lol it's a joke. Most of their shit is based on scare tactics, because they don't have the funding to truly shut everything down. Either way, there will be some dude that owns a track out in the woods and people would have underground ways of communicating to get their cars out there and do whatever the hell they want. I could even see local cops being on board and turning a blind eye. ICE cars aren't going away in my lifetime. Book it.

They do have jurisdiction on private property and operation- the difference is the emissions levels and standards. On the road you are held to standard "on highway" standards, usually just called by EPA/CARB and the year. Off road it's an "industrial" standard, designated by "Tier" and a number. But a lot of it reverts to any tampering whatsoever.

But I also think that EV is not going to be the saving grace- if anything it's going to accelerate the clamp down. Once they start to gain market share they're just going to squeeze ICE out of existence totally. Higher taxes, no more fuel supply, and eventually no registration allowed at all.

Show of hands. Who has called their U.S representative and senators?

What's the RPM act I've been hearing about?

If I need a revision to my tune say for a bigger TB, can this be done or is it now illegal?

Bullet box > Ballot box.

They can't do a thing about it. The EPA is its own agency and as we've seen can do whatever the hell it wants. Much the same as the shenanigans we've seen with the ATF, regardless of who's in office or what representative says what.

For tunes you just need to go with more decentralized, out of country, self service, open source options. They're going to keep knocking down the big ones. You have to plan for the EPA continuing their campaign.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
“According to the EPA, its National Compliance Initiative, which "will focus on stopping the manufacture, sale, and installation of defeat devices on vehicles and engines used on public roads as well as on nonroad vehicles and engines," is slated to run from 2020 through 2023”

Users who are viewing this thread