Jon Lund's comments on GT500 internal's

Crossss

Mad Torque Inc.
Established Member
I swiped this from modularfords.com

"After a recent visit to Roush and SVT in Dearborn with the EVO machine we were able to gather alot of excellent test and research data on the GT 500. We also meet up with the Maule engineers and actually had a great conversation with the guy that designed the Rod and Piston Combo. The Piston is a stout unit although it is near the same desing as the Ford GT it isn't the exact same piston. Some slight design differances in the Ring land for oil control and some very slight weight differances but in and of itself a very stout design and much stronger than the 03/04 Cobra piece.

The Rods are indeed a craked forged I-beam design. The engineer indicated a 650-675 crank HP range was nearing the limit but more important was the RPM limit. They could handle quite a bit of load as long as the Revs were kept in tact. He indicated the more power being made the lower the rpm. Stock Rev is 6250 for that reason so I'd once these KB units start making it to streets I think we will see more internal rod damage and some blown motors just due to purely exceeding the Rods design capability."

Thanks,

Jon L

It's pretty much the same info we've been hearing from several others. Hearing it from Jon L. just further's the credibility of the claims.

GT500R

Established Member
sweet info., very cool

so stage 2 from Evolution for 550 whp will be in the safe area for this motor :beer:

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
Crossss said:
I swiped this from modularfords.com

The Rods are indeed a craked forged I-beam design. ."
B]

They put powered metal "Forged" rods in the GT-500???!! You have got to be kidding me. I was told somewhere they were going to be Forged 4340 manly I beam that was slightly weaker and lighter than the 03-04 cobras.

I could accept that but that is total BS, can anyone confirm this? This will definitely change my old mans idea to get a GT500 instead of a terminator.

Fourcam330

Established Member
352Ford said:
They put powered metal "Forged" rods in the GT-500???!! You have got to be kidding me. I was told somewhere they were going to be Forged 4340 manly I beam that was slightly weaker and lighter than the 03-04 cobras.

I could accept that but that is total BS, can anyone confirm this? This will definitely change my old mans idea to get a GT500 instead of a terminator.

Yes they are PM/forged not 4340. They are not the old lightweight forged I beam Manleys, nor are they 4340 forged Hs like Terms/GTs.

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Yes they are PM/forged not 4340. They are not the old lightweight forged I beam Manleys, nor are they 4340 forged Hs like Terms/GTs.

Man that really sucks, I think I just threw up a little.

Ford: I know you read these boards, so why do you do this sort thing to us constantly (give us a 90% perfect design, but the 10% that isn't there is the most important 10%)? perfectly tuned 4valve cylnder heads, intake, supercharger, strong pistons, iron fully skirted block are all useless when a damm POS rod lets go!!!!!!!!!

I know it is cost, but humor me, and at least cut the cost out of something that doesn't matter, NOT THE CONNECTING ROD!

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
352Ford said:

Ford: I know you read these boards, so why do you do this sort thing to us constantly (give us a 90% perfect design, but the 10% that isn't there is the most important 10%)? perfectly tuned 4valve cylnder heads, intake, twin screw supercharger, strong pistons, iron fully skirted block are all useless when a POS damm rod lets go!!!!!!!!!

I know it is cost, but humor me, and at least cut the cost out of something that doesn't matter, NOT THE CONNECTING ROD!

Perhaps it is too limit the "I blew my GT500 engine and I want the dealership to fix it" claims. :shrug:

Fourcam330

Established Member
352Ford said:

Ford: I know you read these boards, so why do you do this sort thing to us constantly (give us a 90% perfect design, but the 10% that isn't there is the most important 10%)? perfectly tuned 4valve cylnder heads, intake, twin screw supercharger, strong pistons, iron fully skirted block are all useless when a POS damm rod lets go!!!!!!!!!

I don't disagree reg. the rods., but just for the record they don't have a twin screw blower from the factory either.

Fourcam330

Established Member
AdrianG said:
Perhaps it is too limit the "I blew my GT500 engine and I want the dealership to fix it" claims. :shrug:

That's a definite possibility we've discussed before. It's hard to try to get Ford to ante up when you put a rod through the block. ;-)

Fuerza

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
That's a definite possibility we've discussed before. It's hard to try to get Ford to ante up when you put a rod through the block. ;-)

:lol:

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
Of all the “fuses” that they could use, why the connecting rod? That is basically pure evil and hope they don’t think that is a good idea or a funny joke.

If I remember correctly the NA Cobra R a few years ago that was making much less power had some really fancy high end Oliver I beams in it.

Also if ford wants to decrease breakage and warranty claims, but better rods in there, it’s as simple as that.

For a halo project such as the GT500 I really believe they need to make able to take this sort of abuse. Even if they lose a little money on these cars, the sell a TON of GT’s and V6’s because MM&FF made a “1000RWHP pump gas Shelby” or what ever.

It is a very smart marking strategy, but I guess we can’t expect smart business decisions from a company that loses so much money.

Ford; I love you, and I want you to keep producing cars that we enjoy so much, but please can you start making better decisions, because if you go out of business the connecting rods you put in our cars will be the least of our worries.

O-yeah, my bad on the twin screw.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
AdrianG said:

I agree. I remember when people where blowing term engines and taking them in for warranty work. Ford took a big warranty loss on that car for just that reason. If we were honest in the first place, there is a chance we may have had the good rods.

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
352Ford said:
This will definitely change my old mans idea to get a GT500 instead of a terminator.
Well if he's going to mod either one ask him which he'd rather replace, pistons in the Term or rods in the Shelby. You have to pay to play and it's as simple as that.

FBMphil

Established Member
352Ford said:
Of all the “fuses” that they could use, why the connecting rod? That is basically pure evil and hope they don’t think that is a good idea or a funny joke.

If I remember correctly the NA Cobra R a few years ago that was making much less power had some really fancy high end Oliver I beams in it.

Also if ford wants to decrease breakage and warranty claims, but better rods in there, it’s as simple as that.

For a halo project such as the GT500 I really believe they need to make able to take this sort of abuse. Even if they lose a little money on these cars, the sell a TON of GT’s and V6’s because MM&FF made a “1000RWHP pump gas Shelby” or what ever.

It is a very smart marking strategy, but I guess we can’t expect smart business decisions from a company that loses so much money.

Ford; I love you, and I want you to keep producing cars that we enjoy so much, but please can you start making better decisions, because if you go out of business the connecting rods you put in our cars will be the least of our worries.

O-yeah, my bad on the twin screw.

Sorry, but you're an ass. People buy V6's because MMFF (the biggest joke of a ragazine ever) makes 1000hp in a Shelby? What a smart marking strategy.

Delusionaaaaaaallllll.

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
FBMphil said:
Sorry, but you're an ass. People buy V6's because MMFF (the biggest joke of a ragazine ever) makes 1000hp in a Shelby? What a smart marking strategy.

Delusionaaaaaaallllll.

Actually that is the textbook way to market a “Halo” product and that is the sales strategy ford has used (and worked impeccably well) the entire production run of the mustang from 1964.5 till now.

MM&FF is a joke of a magazine (I guess you didn’t get the sarcasm in my statement about the 1000hp Shelby) but a very very very useful tool for ford that they should use to the fullest extent (and I think they are).

It’s not just that the Cobra and the GT sell the V6; it’s also that the high production volumes of the V6 brings down the cost (tooling and otherwise) of the cobra and GT. This is why the Camaro died out; GM did not do this effectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_vehicle

I am not delusional, just educated.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
352Ford said:
The '00 R's used Carillo billet-steel connecting rods, I believe they were I-Beam's. Quite a package back then but so was the sticker price!

SICKBOY

Established Member
Just like with anything you can mod it to an extent and have a bad ass ride ..it's when you get way greedy with the power and abuse the car that causes the problem

chuckstang

Established Member
The car still can run 550whp safely, sheeesh, that is alot of power for a street car but yes I would have loved to have the Terms rods!!!
oh well :(

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
Alright let me ask this. What motor can handle more power, the terms or the gt500's? I know they each have their weaknesses, but what one do you think will give-out first? Maybe I'll post this in the term section next to see if opinions change.

R1Lello

Established Member
chuckstang said:
The car still can run 550whp safely, sheeesh, that is alot of power for a street car but yes I would have loved to have the Terms rods!!!
oh well :(

.......but their pistons are weaker and they have 281 c.i., not 330 so take your choice............:eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread