Just bought a Terminated Mach 1. Needing some help with identifying stuff badly

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Ok this is my first post on this side of the forum, so go easy on me please. I am not familiar with this platform as Ive been a Fox body and Lightning guy. This is my first SN...and my first 4 valve motor. I just picked up this terminated Mach 1 and its a blast to drive, ported blower, pully, tubular k member, coilovers (which I hate) and...a built auto yay.
However I ened some help figuring out what the hell some of these parts are, as well im not familiar with em...

First up the electric cooling...my fox and my L were mechanical...so help me out here please.

What the hell is this green coiled jobbie that im pointing at?
fan1.jpg

You can see it just chilling out there hanging free as can be..
fan2.jpg

Im told its the "switch" for the cooling fan, but somehow I dont think its supposed to mount right there. Ideas guys?

Next up...what is supposed to connect to these two open lines? Ive got caps over them for now...but they seem to be self sealing.
They look like A/C lines to me, but im told its part of the emissions system (charcoal canister?). If it is the A/C lines what part am I missing here?

line1.jpg

line2.jpg

line3.jpg

Now what the heck is all this stuff? and what would I need to "fix" these items? just point me to the right stuff and ill correct it. Sadly I knew my lightning inside and out...this car I am a complete and total newbie fish out of water.

Sagittaria

Established Member
1. Low Speed fan resistor. The fan motor is basically one speed and that resistor allows the fan to be run at low speed (IE: A/C). It should be mounted inside the fan assembly.. the top left hand portion.

2. A/C High and low ports. They should have black caps from the factory but you can buy new ones from any parts store.. or better yet from any mustang/ford from a junk yard.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
1. Low Speed fan resistor. The fan motor is basically one speed and that resistor allows the fan to be run at low speed (IE: A/C). It should be mounted inside the fan assembly.. the top left hand portion.

2. A/C High and low ports. They should have black caps from the factory but you can buy new ones from any parts store.. or better yet from any mustang/ford from a junk yard.

Thank you sir. Ill see what I can do to get that resistor back in place correctly is there a slot that it bolts into? Got a pic by chance? I hate asking newbie questions... But I am a big one in his case.

Last edited:

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member

this

Thank you sir. Ill see what I can do to get that resistor back in place correctly is there a slot that it bolts into? Got a pic by chance? I hate asking newbie questions... But I am a big one in his case.

ill try and get you one in the morning since i have all that out of the car right now

03' White Snake

Established Member
Like stated already. There should be a spot in the fan assembly for the resistor. Be careful, the fan assembly is very pricey from Ford. I bought one with my friends discount for $350.

Aftermarket ones are cheaper from RockAuto Parts Catalog if you feel necessary to replace it.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Thanks a ton guys! I know im gonna run into a few issues here and there.... Just need to make em all "right"

B0B

Established Member
pics of the whole car! I'm doing an eaton swap on my azure mach right now but with a whipple 2.3. Have you surprised any unsuspecting cobra or LS1 guys yet?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
that fan temp resistor just kinda snaps into place, if you look at the top side of the fan assembly toward the pass side youll see the little rectangular section sticking off to the side it goes into...it may have gotten knocked out or may be a piss poor relocation job

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
pics of the whole car! I'm doing an eaton swap on my azure mach right now but with a whipple 2.3. Have you surprised any unsuspecting cobra or LS1 guys yet?

Ill get some pics up. The car is pretty well awesome except the damned headlights being all goofy and fogged up (which ill fix)....I swear ford cant make a headlight that doesnt look like shit after a few years.
Honestly I havent driven it as much as Id like, but im sure itll surprise a few folks, heck it surprised me and I came from a fully built lightning ha ha.

here is a shot of the engine bay, I have alot I want to do with it
motor1.jpg

that fan temp resistor just kinda snaps into place, if you look at the top side of the fan assembly toward the pass side youll see the little rectangular section sticking off to the side it goes into...it may have gotten knocked out or may be a piss poor relocation job

Ill take a look when I can, I dont know if it got knocked loose or whatever. But either way Itll get fixed. As with any "used" car I am gonna find something that is gonna piss me off or set off the perfection nazi in me and ill have to fix it.

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
on a side note I believe Ill have to pick up new bolts. Anyone know the thread pitch for the resistor bolts?

03' White Snake

Established Member
On a side note, look into getting an auxiliary tensioner for the belt. It gives the blower pulley 90% belt wrap to reduce belt slip on the blower.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
On a side note, look into getting an auxiliary tensioner for the belt. It gives the blower pulley 90% belt wrap to reduce belt slip on the blower.

Already on the list. My lightning had better belt wrap than this thing. Anyone know the thread size for these boots by chance?

JDUB348

Established Member
You should do what my buddy did and fiber glass some mounting points to the under side of the hood so you can pop the hood and the cowl follows with the hood. Looks so much cleaner.. this was my buddies terminated mach with the mach hood and eaton..

jaredengine_zpsc6442012.jpg

terminatedmach_zpsd81f75a1.jpg

Much sexier then..

motor1.jpg

;-)

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
You should do what my buddy did and fiber glass some mounting points to the under side of the hood so you can pop the hood and the cowl follows with the hood. Looks so much cleaner.. this was my buddies terminated mach with the mach hood and eaton..

jaredengine_zpsc6442012.jpg

terminatedmach_zpsd81f75a1.jpg

Much sexier then..

motor1.jpg

;-)

That actually looks pretty damned snazzy. However one thing....I kinda like watching the shaker twist with the motor when I get on it. But I would still like a few better shots of how your buddy put the mounting points in.

JDUB348

Established Member
I dont believe i have any of that. All i think he did was used a piece of wood and attached it to the cowl and drilled holes through it. Used that to mount it to the points fiber glassed to the hood and used
washers/nuts

You could get fancier and use a piece of like plexy glass instead of plywood though

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Damn I may have to rethink things now.
Well first thing is first....get this wiring shit together.
Undo any other possible wiring goof ups from the original owner (alot of sound upgrades that are no longer there), and get the sound system squared away. I love driving this thing but no radio right now kills me....need to get off my ass and solder up a harness for the pioneer head unit that goes with this thing, not to mention wire up my amps and sub. Strangely im not tearing into it to make it faster right out the gate like I did the lightning. Oh yeah also gotta get the coil over clunk tool from MM to fix the clunk I get on the drivers side.....and did I mention I hate coil overs for the most part?

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Anyone know the thread size for these boots by chance?

I just did a blower and crank pulley swap. I accidentally knocked my resistor out of the fan shroud. It didn't have any bolts holding it in just plastic tabs.

Check to see if yours has the opening for the resistor and if the tabs are still present. If not the shroud of the fan may have been modified or broken by the prior owner. The main thing is to keep it secure and have airflow to keep cool.

SV

This one is off the net from CandyRoush's car. Similar set up on ours. Notice it too is knocked out but should just snap back in.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/candyroush/Picture017.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread