Just did 1st oil change on 13' GT at 1,250 miles...

Rob Nelson

Established Member
Just wanted to post that I did the 1st oil change at 1,250 miles on my 2013 GT and had no issues with any ticking or wierd sounds afterwards like some people said you can get from changing out the oil early. I used Amsoil 0W-30 like UnleashedBeast recommended and it seems to be running like a top. Actually seems quieter at idle, valvetrain wise, compared to the stock oil that was in there from the factory.

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
I changed mine about the same miles and no issues here

corysmach1

Established Member
I changed mine at 1500 and just put the regular motorcraft back in it. I will run that untill it hits 3000 miles then i will change it to Mobil 1 more than likely. When i go through the drive thru ( next to a building) i can hear a small ticking noise.

Rob Nelson

Established Member
Sounds like most the bugs have been worked out then from all your posts!!! Good to hear. I was keeping my fingers crossed on the first start after changing it from all the horror stories I've heard on here...

atistang

Established Member
personally i wont run synthetic until 8k miles or more

makes me feel better about the piston rings bedding in as good as they can

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
Why do you guys feel the need to change oil that early,when the manual says 5k miles knowing people have had ticking problems because of it? We changed ours at 5500 miles at the dealer. When i asked them about changing it at 1000-1500 miles they said they got a bulletin from ford that it is not recommended on these cars.

:shrug:

turd burglar

Established Member
^Cant say for sure whether or not thats true, but dealers are way too notorious for talking out their assed and making up things that they've ‘"been told." I see nothing wrong with changing out your gunk filled break in oil early in the life of the car

scotmach

Established Member
personally i wont run synthetic until 8k miles or more

makes me feel better about the piston rings bedding in as good as they can
You can't be serious?:dw:
Why do you guys feel the need to change oil that early,when the manual says 5k miles knowing people have had ticking problems because of it? We changed ours at 5500 miles at the dealer. When i asked them about changing it at 1000-1500 miles they said they got a bulletin from ford that it is not recommended on these cars.

I changed mine around 1,500 miles because it had been in there for a year and a half. I don't put many miles on my car.

deepblue13

Established Member
I took my '13 to the dealer at 1500 for a free oil change. They didn't mention anything about not recommending changing that early.

whatwhine

Established Member
Fwiw when I built my 306 (I know it's a diff motor) my builder had me fire it up, warm it up, idle for a few minutes, then start revving little by little. After nearly half an hour I took it down the street. After a 5 min run he had me change the oil. Ran that for 100 miles and changed it again. Always ran motorcraft filters.
He also had me running Pennzoil for the start up and first 2 changes. Says it has some stuff in it he likes for break in.
But I followed most people's advice with my 12 and waited to 5k......

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member

The first few hundred miles the motor is broke in. Lots of contaminates in the oil.
No such thing as changing the oil too soon or often
changed mine to Mobil 1 Extended Performance at 800mi

I did almost the same (500 miles), Mobil One extended life 5/20 Wix filter. No engine tick. I do it every 2500 to 3000 miles and now use Amsoil 5/30 signature. Cheap insurance on a FI car.

squeak93

Established Member
I finally crossed 5k in my 12 so I'll be changing to a wix filter and likely amsoil.

Users who are viewing this thread