Just for people wondering whats under the GT500...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I wonder if it will fit a GT350, probably not do to the different transmissions.

I'm 99% sure that the Tremec DCT will be quite a bit different in terms of overall length than that of the TR3160 used in the GT350.

I swapped in a QA1 CF shaft on my 2016 GT350. Note that while they do use a CV joint at the pinion flange that the front of the shaft uses a u-joint and fixed flange configuration. You'd be miles ahead using a dedicated aftermarket shaft as opposed to trying to make the 2020 GT500 shaft fit a GT350.

zzzzzz%2020170916_173105.jpg

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
RJM, do you know if the cv joints and the splined ends are again coming from Neapco?
Sorry all I can tell you is it was removed from a 2020 GT500 pre production and not one of our test mules or I wouldn't have posted it on here. Btw our one test mule that I posted about 2 years ago with the SC 5.2 (older block) with the 10 speed ended up getting the DCT last year with an aluminum driveshaft that was not a production based piece at all. It has a ton of miles on it now but couldn't tell you how this CF driveshaft will hold up over time cause we really don't have that data. I tried to give the biggest hint I could last July about the DCT without straight up saying it and risking to much and got nothing but crap for it. Now I post about something people have asked me about and once again get nothing but crapped on, Lesson learned, for now on I'll stick to reading posts and just let people speculate or wait for official news. :p

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Naw man, no intention to crap on anything you post. I suppose you are in a tough spot knowing but not being able to say anything. While the fact that the car was coming with a cf shaft was fairly common knowledge, your post was indeed the first to actually show it. I'm trying to remember the engineer that did much of the work on the '13-'14 cf shaft (John Pfeiffer?) and he was very tight lipped about it. I'm happy to see Ford using one again and can't wait to learn the specs on it.

03Bite

Established Member
RJM I don't blame you for not wanting to share these things on here when members are sarcastic with comments like "Removed from what", "I don't know if it is a 2020 GT500 driveshaft"...come guys its obvious what this was removed from. He started this post with "people wondering what is under the GT500". His info has been correct with what he was hinting to before why do you doubt him now? Thanks for the info and pics RJM!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
RJM I don't blame you for not wanting to share these things on here when members are sarcastic with comments like "Removed from what", "I don't know if it is a 2020 GT500 driveshaft"...come guys its obvious what this was removed from. He started this post with "people wondering what is under the GT500". His info has been correct with what he was hinting to before why do you doubt him now?

If there is one thing I've learned in life is to make an attempt to eliminate or reduce ambiguity. I'm the one that said "removed from what?" and I wasn't being sarcastic. I take posts like these very seriously and am only looking for clarification so as not to cause further confusion. You stating it was obvious means you have no problem assuming. That may work for you but I was looking for further detail and the OP obliged. Was it also clear to you before the OP stated it that the shaft removed was pre production and not from one of the test mules?

As to the last sentence in your quote up above - not sure where that comes from. Again, he further delineated. There is no doubt and I believe what he says to be true.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
1st rule of fight club. Dont talk about it. Aka keep your mouth shut. Same goes for people testing mules. Like your job, keep your mouth shut. Plain and simple

Snoopy49

Established Member
RJM I don't blame you for not wanting to share these things on here when members are sarcastic with comments like "Removed from what", "I don't know if it is a 2020 GT500 driveshaft"...come guys its obvious what this was removed from. He started this post with "people wondering what is under the GT500". His info has been correct with what he was hinting to before why do you doubt him now? Thanks for the info and pics RJM!

So your saying we should sit back and take everything posted on the internet as gospel? The only reason I cropped the picture RJM posted was to be able to compare it to a known Ford CF driveshaft (2013-14 GT500). After comparing the two driveshafts, I determined their was a high probability that it was a picture of a Ford driveshaft, since the 2020 GT500 is the only car Ford has stated that will come with a CF driveshaft, I have to assume that the picture posted is from a 2020 GT500. Notice that I did label it as a 2020 GT500. Am I completely sure it is the one that will be installed in a production vehicle? No I am not. Seeing that it doesn't have any labels on the shaft, suggests that it is a pre-production test driveshaft.
So until Ford posts some official pictures, this is the most creditable picture of the 2020 GT500 driveshaft that I have seen.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Snoop, if you zoom in you'll see what does look to be a label on the tube portion of the shaft. Almost looks like one of the "scrap if dropped" stickers you see on Ford driveshafts.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
RJM,

1- can the engine see a load using the footbrake?
What methods(if any) does it use to prevent clutch destruction.

2- sweet pic of the Ex. Any video of that jump? I cant imagine the landing...

Wilson & Co

Established Member
I just hope this dct has a good interface to the control sw so we can have a range of launch rpms.. vs 100% computer controlled.

Also, cant wait to see cost of burned up clutch repair... not something this gt500 will be getting fixed in any DIY'ers garage i ASSume.

Ive got No experience with dct's... but since this tremec is only available to OEM I'm guessing Ford will swap the whole damn thing. Probably wouldn't want a dealership inside it anyway.

LostM

Established Member
I just hope this dct has a good interface to the control sw so we can have a range of launch rpms.. vs 100% computer controlled.

Also, cant wait to see cost of burned up clutch repair... not something this gt500 will be getting fixed in any DIY'ers garage i ASSume.

Ive got No experience with dct's... but since this tremec is only available to OEM I'm guessing Ford will swap the whole damn thing. Probably wouldn't want a dealership inside it anyway.

Currently, DCT swaps are not THAT expensive, Vs a high tq aftermarket option on manuals. Howvever UPGRADED DCT cluctch baskets etc will be pricey at first, but given the C8 and gt500 are using them the market will be much larger than most current cars with DCT's.

BMW used to, and may still just swap the whole trans. they did with the E9x early on, but not sure what they do with their current cars

I would not suggest this replacement at home. maybe a factory/oem swap, but not the aftrmarket stuff. SSP and Dodson both highly suggest going to an approved installer for it

Wilson & Co

Established Member
Honestly that's the only thing that gives me concern when it comes time to durability..

Then add BMW saying dct is dead... did tremec, ford, Chevy fix the shortcomings in this unit?

Sounds pretty damn hi tech. Proactive clutch cooling!!

Anyway probably should have started new thread.. sorry OP.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Currently, DCT swaps are not THAT expensive, Vs a high tq aftermarket option on manuals. Howvever UPGRADED DCT cluctch baskets etc will be pricey at first, but given the C8 and gt500 are using them the market will be much larger than most current cars with DCT's.

BMW used to, and may still just swap the whole trans. they did with the E9x early on, but not sure what they do with their current cars

I would not suggest this replacement at home. maybe a factory/oem swap, but not the aftrmarket stuff. SSP and Dodson both highly suggest going to an approved installer for it

Part of what’s holding me back from putting a 6r80 in my 03 cobra is the idea that if I find a rightly sized duct with a similar bellhousing, say out of a bmw m5 or whatever, I could retrofit it in.

I think dct swaps will happen over time but in about 5-10 years.

T56 swaps from wrecked terminators took about 3-5 years and that’s straight forward. You get a dct conversion going, it’s a ways out as far as seeing 3-5 swaps a month on forums etc.

LostM

Established Member
Honestly that's the only thing that gives me concern when it comes time to durability..

Then add BMW saying dct is dead... did tremec, ford, Chevy fix the shortcomings in this unit?

Sounds pretty damn hi tech. Proactive clutch cooling!!

Anyway probably should have started new thread.. sorry OP.

I had not seen BMW say that, was this recent? they are still using them

Part of what’s holding me back from putting a 6r80 in my 03 cobra is the idea that if I find a rightly sized duct with a similar bellhousing, say out of a bmw m5 or whatever, I could retrofit it in.

I think dct swaps will happen over time but in about 5-10 years.

T56 swaps from wrecked terminators took about 3-5 years and that’s straight forward. You get a dct conversion going, it’s a ways out as far as seeing 3-5 swaps a month on forums etc.

oh, no no no. i didnt mean a DCT trans swap, i was referering to the clutch replacements. bad wording on my part. i only know of a very few dct trans swaps, and its from older to newer, like the 335 and 135 series bmw's. the mechatronics and tcu's jave to swapped and calibrated as well. obviously not impossible, but not a very tuner friendly idea.

BUT, DCT in a mustang maye lead to much simpler swaps down the road. are the voodoo and coyote bolt patterns the same?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Speak for yourself Andy...

The dual-clutch still has some parts of the market to itself. McLaren and Ferrari exclusively use such transmissions, while Lamborghini uses one in the Huracán (and an automated manual in its Aventador flagship).

Add the upcoming Corvette and GT500 to the list. Good company and for good reason.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Dct will eventually reach common enough ground.

2spd->3->4spd->5spd->6spd->7spd

Only manual to dct took 75 years roughly iirc.

Truth told the koeniggsegg trans is ****ing epic. I think it’s a 9speed with 7 small clutches that weighs 200lbs with fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread