Just got to drive a 03 Z06.....

Blakers01GT

Established Member
A buddy/co-worker of mine just bought a used 03 Z06, He says it was Jack Roush's son's or something. Either way, HOLY MOTHER :pepper: that car is very potent, I was impressed. It has a Ligenfeldter(sp?) hood and he said he didn't know if it had any modifications, cause the car pulls like a mother. Overall it's such a different feel with the shifter being so close, transmission is obviously more solid and shifts 500% better then my cobra did stock. So how can I find out what was done to this car? If it has a ligenfelter hood, it's got to have something else done.

Either way, that is the first time i've ever driven a Vette of any kind, extremely impressed, props to all Vette and Z06 owners! That's one hell of a car.

Blake

Tranzlucent

Invade and Terminate!
Established Member
Pop the hood? Should have lingenfelter badges on the valve covers if it was worked on in decatur. Is it louder than stock? Cam pretty hard?

TTA89

Established Member
They are no joke, I love those cars! I almost bought one over my Cobra but the ability to make big streetable power in less than a few hours turned me back to the Mustang. Plus it was 10 Grand Cheaper.

optx002

Established Member
TTA89 said:
They are no joke, I love those cars! I almost bought one over my Cobra but the ability to make big streetable power in less than a few hours turned me back to the Mustang. Plus it was 10 Grand Cheaper.

ditto, i was looking initially for a 02 z06, but they were over 30k easy. my 03 cobra was under 30 and easier and cheaper to mod.

FKing1

Established Member
Have an 00 Coupe, heavy mods,bought it new( also have a Terminator). Love them both. Totally different cars. My moded Cobra is faster. Watch out for the 06 ZO6.
Fred

rgraham

Established Member
This is funny, I sold my 380rwhp 02 Z06 for my cobra, I was bored. Without heads and cam its boring and a dime a dozen.

GodStang

Established Member
My buddy had 3 Z06s. Every time a mustang beat him he would go buy a new one. First one was a Silver 02 Z06 mostly stock had it 6 months and sold it. He then bought a 2002 Silver Doug Rippy Heads and cam Z06. Got put to shame buy a 89 GT. Had that car for two weeks. Bought a Red 2001 Z06 that he and I put a Magnason Supercharger on. He just sold that when I bought my Kenne Bell 03. The first day he saw it he went home and put it up for sale. Now he is searching for something to beat me with. Sad thing is I never race him.

Blakers01GT

Established Member
GodStang said:
My buddy had 3 Z06s. Every time a mustang beat him he would go buy a new one. First one was a Silver 02 Z06 mostly stock had it 6 months and sold it. He then bought a 2002 Silver Doug Rippy Heads and cam Z06. Got put to shame buy a 89 GT. Had that car for two weeks. Bought a Red 2001 Z06 that he and I put a Magnason Supercharger on. He just sold that when I bought my Kenne Bell 03. The first day he saw it he went home and put it up for sale. Now he is searching for something to beat me with. Sad thing is I never race him.

:lol: :lol: Wow, that is very sad, no offense to your friend but talk about being insecure. I love my cobra, I know the Z06 is faster stock for stock, better build etc, but I'm just 100% happy with my car. If I run into a ZO6, viper, even a Civic or something ricey like that and lose, well then they have a fast car, props to them. the most drastic thing I would do is just throw a couple more grand into it and try again :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
rgraham said:
This is funny, I sold my 380rwhp 02 Z06 for my cobra, I was bored. Without heads and cam its boring and a dime a dozen.
The Z-06 is a dime a dozen? Boring? :shrug:

The Z-06 vs. Mustang Cobra debate will rage on forever, but they're entirely different animals. Overall the Z-06 is a better car. And I'm a Cobra fanatic. The only advantage I can see for the Cobra is that it is so easy/cheap to make huge power. My dream car would be the '06 Z-06. Chevy really got this one right. Awesome looks. Awesome power. JMO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
sckcobra said:
i just hate how the vets are such token mid life crisis vehicles
Could you explain that one please? My son-in-law who is mid-30s would love to know. As a matter of fact, we have quite a few C-5 Vettes around here and I've yet to see anyone over 40 driving one. Maybe it's a regional thing.
;-)

Chappy

Established Member
I've got an 02 Z06, Wife's car is an 04 Cobra. They are both great cars, but definitely not something to compare. The Z06 has a completely different feel to it, best way to describe it is it feels like a 360rwhp Fox Coupe does, very light in the back end. While the Cobra is about as fast as it sits (about to get faster) it has a heavier feel to it. Definitely doesn't feel as good in the twisties. ;)

I love both cars. BTW I am a Ford guy by heart (every car except for the Z06 I've ever owned has been Ford), but I still talked myself into a Z06. We'll see how I feel about it in a few years. ;)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
My dad was 34 when he went through his mid life crisis...And boy was that an interesting and depressing time in my family while growing up.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
My Cobra is my mid-life crisis!!! And boy is my wife happy it's with a car!!! I can spend all the time I want with it and have her blessings....

Interspy24

Established Member
GodStang said:

:D Man, that's pretty crazy. Have you mentined to him there's always going to be someone faster? Haha, wonder what he would do if you bought a really slow car?

wet1

Established Member
They are okay if you like that sort of thing. :) Stock for stock the Z06 is better IMHO in just about every way, but the Cobra can't be beat for cheap & quick mods. Two totally different cars though. Although FYI guys, it doesn't take much to make a Z06 pretty damn fast, I've surprised more than one modded Cobra owner!

And yeah, I'm in my mid thirties but I've had all types of "mid life crisis" cars since I was 16... I still have several of them and hope I always do! LOL.

Regarding the comment about costing to much... don't forget to look at resale value. If you consider RV, the 02+ Z06 is a great buy IMO.

BTW, I know that guy that had the 3 Z's, I almost bought the 2nd silver one... I'm now glad I didn't!!! :thumbsup:

GodStang

Established Member
Interspy24 said:
:D Man, that's pretty crazy. Have you mentined to him there's always going to be someone faster? Haha, wonder what he would do if you bought a really slow car?

Until my new engine is dropped in I do drive a slower one. I drive a Jeep with 35s and a old F-150 that can't get out of its own way. Before my 03 I had a slow 01 Cobra and a 94 V6. He sold his Saleen S-281 SC because it was not fast enough. Oh and he is 24. Most of the people in his Corvette group is in the late 40s till early 60s.

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
I have outran 2 Z06's with my heads/cam Camaro SS (which is for sale BTW). Both were fairly strong cars. The way a LS motor accelerates is quite different from the way the Cobra does. The LS cars seem to pull from 3000 on to 7000rpm if tuned. The Cobra on the other hand gets faster as the boost builds with the rpms.
The new Z06 should be a real booger - 500HP and very light!

Users who are viewing this thread