Just installed ss brake lines and disappointed

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
so do tell, what did you do with the braking problem
Nothing but they held up real well. I did experience some fade the last couple laps of each session when I got on them really hard. I probably should have posted it in here, but here's the thread I started in the SN95 forum: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279461 They say this track is not a horse power track but more of a handling and braking track. It really is a good course for light weight cars. The 1950 pound Lotus was lightning fast out there!

Last edited:

CobraCurtis

Established Member
I take it you had a good time . The brake lines wont stop fade , they just wont burst under heat. You might try silicon brake fluid. That would take a system flush though.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
CobraCurtis said:
I take it you had a good time . The brake lines wont stop fade , they just wont burst under heat. You might try silicon brake fluid. That would take a system flush though.

Silicone brake fluid is NOT I repeat NOT to EVER be used in a track vehicle.

Silicone fluid is primarily for museum or collector automobiles and should NEVER be used for a car going to the track.

Hope that clears things p up?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I just need to bleed and replace with DOT 4 fluid. I think Tires Plus may have used DOT 3 when I had them power bled/flushed last year. A higher boiling point is a must for this type of racing.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I wanted to ask a related question if it's alright. Are the front and rear brake circuits separate? I mean is it safe only to do SS lines up front? Assuming I only do the fronts, how likely is it that a rear rubber brake line blowout at the track will cause a total brake system loss? Thanksl.

TTA89

Established Member
Have you ever bled your brakes? What happens when you open a bleeder? Pedal goes to the floor right?

So assuming a line blows, what happens?

They all feed off the same system but the amount of bias is reduced to the rear brakes. Its unlikely that you'll blow a brake line as long as they are in good shape. You should be checking the brake lines before each event and even between sessions for signs of wear or leaks.

You sure don't want to be coming into a corner at 120mph and have the brakes fail. :nono: :nono:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
CobraRed01 said:
I wanted to ask a related question if it's alright. Are the front and rear brake circuits separate? I mean is it safe only to do SS lines up front? Assuming I only do the fronts, how likely is it that a rear rubber brake line blowout at the track will cause a total brake system loss? Thanksl.

The fronts are much more important to do. The rears don't typically get as hot. If you lose your front brakes it's a BIG deal. Not so much with the rears.

It's a good idea to do both but the fronts are obviously a LOT more important.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Gotcha...if I sure don't want to be coming into a corner at 120mph and have my brake fail...I better do all four corners. I suspect you could check your brakes lines until you were blue-in-the-face and still have one fail. That's the the main reason for using stainless. There was a hint in a post above above about not needing to do the rears...but you convinced me I should do so regardless.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Gotcha...if I sure don't want to be coming into a corner at 120mph and have my brake fail...I better do all four corners. I suspect you could check your brakes lines until you were blue-in-the-face and still have one fail. That's the the main reason for using stainless. There was a hint in a post above above about not needing to do the rears...but you convinced me I should do so regardless.
The location of the rear brake lines are positioned to where they won't get as hot as the fronts do. I bought mine from Maximum Motorsports and they don't even sell the rear from what I saw on their website. As for going into a turn at 120mph, you'd need a REALLY fast car or a track with over a 1/4 mile straight. At Hallett's longest straight I barely made 95mph a few times. It is more of a handling track than most road courses from what I hear. I'd really like to go do the MCA's 30th Anniv event in Alabama. That track is like 2.2 miles long and appears to have more longer stretches to open her up!

TTA89

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
As for going into a turn at 120mph, you'd need a REALLY fast car or a track with over a 1/4 mile straight.

We ran NHIS a few weeks ago and I was seeing somewhere around those speeds at the end of the back straight. I'm running Race Tires and 500RWHP, also running dedicated Race Pads and 00R Front Brakes. Figure we were coming out of the Chicane at 75+ mph onto the back straight... Car goes 0-120+ from a standstill in a 1/4 mile. I think most of the time I was held up in traffic but I was well into 4th gear most of the time.

I'm heading to Mosport in June, some of the guys are saying 155+ out of my car on the straight. Yikes.... Think I'm going to pulley it down. :)

Just drive within your limits, I'm running the stock rear lines and I check them when I change the tires. As mentioned above there isn't a ton of heat in the rear. Just make sure they are in good shape and not brittle or have signs of leaks (Duh). I'd spend the money on some decent fluid and pads.

:rockon:

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I figured the rears probably didn't need to be done based on the fact that Maximum Motorsports didn't advertise the rears SS lines. Just wanted to know for sure why before I didn't install them. Don't think I'll be seeing 120mph anytime soon (I was joking in response to a previous post), but 80 and 90's certainly enough to do some real damage...sans binders. Thanks all for the good info.

SGL

Banned
I saw 130+ at Mid-Ohio on the back straight. Scary stuff. I'm building a cage now with 6 point harness. I'm not doing this again without the proper safety precautions. Open track is fun but....

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
TTA89 said:
We ran NHIS a few weeks ago and I was seeing somewhere around those speeds at the end of the back straight. I'm running Race Tires and 500RWHP, also running dedicated Race Pads and 00R Front Brakes. Figure we were coming out of the Chicane at 75+ mph onto the back straight... Car goes 0-120+ from a standstill in a 1/4 mile. I think most of the time I was held up in traffic but I was well into 4th gear most of the time.

I'm heading to Mosport in June, some of the guys are saying 155+ out of my car on the straight. Yikes.... Think I'm going to pulley it down. :)

:rockon:
I think I only made it to 4th gear like two times at this track. Of course I'm n/a'd and you're s/c'd so that makes a difference. 110mph feels like a cruising speed to me so I'm not too worried. 120+ and I would probably begin to get a bit uncomfortable w/o a roll cage. I've done 145mph at a NASCAR school before but had 5 point harness in a race prepped stock car.

Users who are viewing this thread