Just Ordered SVT Chrome Wheels

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
My dealer just called to confirm that the order for the chrome wheels was accepted by Ford. He said he would get a delivery date in a couple of days. Does anyone know how long it took from order acceptance to delivery of the wheels to the dealer? Not that there's any real hurry since we are currently getting snow around here. When they come in, I may just take the stock wheels off the car and then have the dealer do the mount and balance and then save the original wheels and install the chromies myself. Less chance of them slipping with the air gun and scratching the wheels. We all know that dealership personnel just aren't careful.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
It took less than a week to get mine.

The dealership put mine on with weights on the lip...

I had them re-do it to use sticky weights. The tech was EXTREMELY careful, and made a point to come out when I picked the car up to be sure I was satisfied with his work.

it was top notch.

Be sure you specify to use sticky weights inside the wheel and not lip clip type.

cobra808

Established Member
Tried to order mine's yesterday. Part's guy did a search nation-wide at all the warehouses and came up empty.

Maybe it's coming from a third-party vendor and so it's a nonstocking item.

Said he would place the order and see's what happens.

Anyone else out there with better info?

hawkls1

Established Member
I order my on a tuesday and pick them up at the dealer the next tuesday. now when the weather get better(no more snow&salt on the roads) i'll get them put on.

acatalon

Established Member
It took a week for mine. If you are thinking about removing the paint that is on inside of rim, you should do it before taking them in to have sticky weights applied. The solvent will cause problems and the weights could fly off..

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
For those that have the tires mounted and balanced on the new wheels, what type of tire valve stem was used, chrome or the usual black? Also, what type of wheel balance weight was used? Stick on or the usual lead weights on the edge?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue 2003
For those that have the tires mounted and balanced on the new wheels, what type of tire valve stem was used, chrome or the usual black? Also, what type of wheel balance weight was used? Stick on or the usual lead weights on the edge?

They used black rubber valve stems.

They used outer lip clip weights initially, but I took it back a week later and had them use stick on inner wheel weights.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I guess it would be alright if they used the outer clip on weights, but only if they are applied on the backside of the wheel. What do you think?

HISS

Established Member
Can you guys advise me what you paid for the chrome wheels from Ford. Any pictures you can provide???
Thanks!

StreetSnake

Established Member
Tok approx a week from the dealer and they were very careful with my car, I think they know that most of us Cobra jockeys are anal. paid 950 bucks for the whole deal and I sold my old ones for 450. In my opinion nicest thing appearance wise that Ive done for the car:beer: :beer:

NJNick

Established Member
Do they contact you or do you need to order them from your dealer. I originally ordered the car with chrome rims and the dealer told me it would extend the wait, so I changed the order.

Thanks,

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
When I got the Cobra, the sales manager told me about the availability of chrome wheels and that I'd get a letter from Ford with the offer. He came back in about 5 minutes with a copy of the letter and gave it to me. That was 2-1/2 months ago and I have not seen a letter from Ford. My wheels took about a week to come in. It took another week before the weather was good enough for me to drive it there to have them installed. I don't have a copy of the letter anymore, but the wheels were $935, with a $75 rebate to cover mounting and balancing. In addition they would give you $240 (I think) for the old wheels. I kept mine. All totaled, I came out with the chrome wheels, the old wheels, and an oil change for $934.28

Last edited:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
The wheels give the car a very classy look. I sold my original wheels to a very understanding young man. One of the wheels was damaged in shipment and now we are fighting with UPS to cover the cost of the wheel. The stock wheels are over 300 bucks each. I sold all 4 for 400 bucks.

Now we are in need of finding ONE wheel. The wheel could most likely be fixed, but he can't find a shop in his area that can repair the wheel. Major hassle and the poor guy is driving around with 3 03 Cobra wheels and one stock 98 Cobra wheel!

DALLAS.JPG

Oh yeah, when my Chromies came in the dealership did not want to do the install because of fear of damaging the wheels. They wanted to sub it out to Discount Tires.

I took the wheels TAKE WITH along with my 75 check and had Sears Automotive Install them. They did an awesome job. They did a special balance that places the stick on weights in the center on the inside of the wheel. They put the original wheels in the boxes, hand torqued all the wheels, set the air pressure to the exact amounts and put in chrome stems. FIRST CLASS JOB!

Not a hint of VIB!

Last edited:

King03Cobra

Established Member
Mine took about 10 days to come in, but that was over the Christmas holidays so not too bad. The tech was very careful and the balancing weights are in the inside so you don't see them.

NJNick

Established Member
Originally posted by Mac03Cobra

I took the wheels TAKE WITH along with my 75 check and had Sears Automotive Install them.

I ordered mine Saturday and they're in already. The parts guy wasn't aware of the $75 rebate, he said I'd have to talk with service. How do I get it? It sounds like they gave you $75 straight out.

Users who are viewing this thread