Just pulled the trigger on a Procharger Stage 2 kit

Sizeth3

Established Member
So I wanted to fill everyone in on my experience ordering a kit for my 2013 Mustang GT. Just unbiased info, I plan on creating a separate thread detailing my install and 1/4 mile in 2 weeks.

I originally was looking at the complete Vortech and Paxton kits for my car. After calling both vendors, I discovered that neither has an automatic tune for 11-14 GT, they recommend going to a 3rd party tuner. I found this very surprising.

I then was looking at the Procharger HO kit, due to the price point. The Procharger HO kit does not have a tune available for 13/14 Mustang GT's, I was also not aware of this. I had heard bad things about the undersized intercooler on the stage 1, so this pretty much sealed the deal.

So basically, if you have a 13/14 GT a6 car, I would recommend going with a Beefcake special for a Vortech/Paxton car, as the Vortech/Paxton complete kits will require a custom tune anyway.

If you like the Procharger kits, understand that only the stage 2 is designed for the 13/14 cars.

Will post an install write-up shortly.

bunits19714

Established Member
who did you buy your kit from and did you upgrade to the race intercooler. Which boosta pump did you go with?

Sizeth3

Established Member
who did you buy your kit from and did you upgrade to the race intercooler. Which boosta pump did you go with?
I bought the kit from American Muscle, I used the 6% forum discount code. I am planning on running the kit as is for now, the Procharger kit does not require a boost a pump. It is a conservative tune, with a stock redline, I would imagine that is why.

The Stage 2 has the larger intercooler, I have heard nothing but bad things about the smaller stage 1 intercooler.

One other interesting thing, the tech told me that the 13/14 shouldn't require cutting the front bumper for the larger intercooler. Hoping that is true.

bunits19714

Established Member
I have a stage 2 tuner kit laying on a table( a long one) waiting to be installed. But I upgraded to the D1sc head unit and the race intercooler and mine is all done in black- I went with the VMP plug n play fuel pump and the ID1000's injectors. Mine is scheduled for tuning on the 21st of March and I haven't started the install and am leaving town for 6 days so it is going to be crunch time when I get back. It is going to be dialed in for 100 octane fuel. 10psi- shifting it probably around the 7100 range to keep the boost down. Should be fun. I was going to go Paxton for the longest time but by the time you upgrade to a 8 rib later on when the boost is turned up and upgrade the air intake and manifold assc to go with the boss intake you don't save much money and I think the procharger is a nicer kit- we shall both see. good luck to you.

Last edited:

q6543

Established Member
I ran procharger stage 2 kit, w id1000s. 7lbs.

it is pretty unbelievable once you star Boosting In longer gears, but I did find it overkill on the street...even with slicks

Sizeth3

Established Member
I ran procharger stage 2 kit, w id1000s. 7lbs.

it is pretty unbelievable once you star Boosting In longer gears, but I did find it overkill on the street...even with slicks
Define overkill on the street . I am worried it won't be as responsive as my mail order tune outside of boost.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Congrats! Has anyone done a procharger with cobra jet intake? Not to jack your thread, but I'm looking at Procharger stage ii myself. Wonder if Lund can tune a big oval with draw through?

_Snake_

Established Member
Define overkill on the street . I am worried it won't be as responsive as my mail order tune outside of boost.

First, second, and a good part of third gear are spin city on a MT-82 car with 3.73's and less horsepower than what he's making.

imeyers302

Established Member
First, second, and a good part of third gear are spin city on a MT-82 car with 3.73's and less horsepower than what he's making.

About to do a procharger myself. I really want the programmable one but can't bring myself to spend the extra $2500. I have a track pack with 3.73s and MT82 and without a blower traction is rough in first and second. Would be nice to program for lower boost in first and second then go full boost in 3rd and up.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
My suggestion is to get the biggest intercooler you can. I wish I would have upgraded to the race intercooler from the beginning.

IMAG0180_zpsgqmeregu.jpg

IMAG0181_zpskorwsa4c.jpg

Last edited:

Sizeth3

Established Member
About to do a procharger myself. I really want the programmable one but can't bring myself to spend the extra $2500. I have a track pack with 3.73s and MT82 and without a blower traction is rough in first and second. Would be nice to program for lower boost in first and second then go full boost in 3rd and up.

I love the idea of the i-1, but I don't like the look of the added hardware under the hood:

procharger_i-1_302bossmustang_satinfinish_800px.jpg

I am excited for non existent traction, I upgraded to MT ET Street Radial 2's, and am no longer spin city with my mail order tune.

Sizeth3

Established Member
One interesting note, when I called Procharger, they mentioned the kit ships with an Diablo Intune tuner. Seems like a nice upgrade compared to the ancient SCT X3 that is shown on all of the literature/sites:

DiabloSport-inTune-I1000-Tuner-5.png

vs

FKTM3200__1.jpg

Sizeth3

Established Member
Well I pulled the trigger on a CDC upper grille. Wanting to keep my IATs as low as possible after the install.

Happy with how it turned out. Procharger called and I still have 7-14 days to wait for the blower.

uploadfromtaptalk1457758115971.jpg

_Snake_

Established Member

I'm still on the factory PZero's and can spin through third without much effort. I wanted to leave the OEM Boss suspension as is, but I know I need to upgrade and get better tires if I want to hook.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Congrats! Has anyone done a procharger with cobra jet intake? Not to jack your thread, but I'm looking at Procharger stage ii myself. Wonder if Lund can tune a big oval with draw through?

I have a Boss intake, but not the same thing. But I posted because the Procharger kits aren't draw thru, they're blow thru with the maf sensor in the intercooler at the exit.

bobster

Established Member
Great choice! I bought my car with a stage II procharger with the canned tune and it went 7.3 @96 like that then upgraded to Lt and ORX and e85 (aed tuned) and went 6.55 @108.4 still with the stock 4.38 pulley. Now I'm doing fuel system and trying a 4.00 inch pulley. Procharger is the best quality with more torque, easier installation, and less belt slip. I think you'll be pleased.

Sizeth3

Established Member
Great choice! I bought my car with a stage II procharger with the canned tune and it went 7.3 @96 like that then upgraded to Lt and ORX and e85 (aed tuned) and went 6.55 @108.4 still with the stock 4.38 pulley. Now I'm doing fuel system and trying a 4.00 inch pulley. Procharger is the best quality with more torque, easier installation, and less belt slip. I think you'll be pleased.
That is flying! Thanks for the info. Automatic or manual?

Users who are viewing this thread