Just pulled the trigger on a Procharger Stage 2 kit

TBolton

Established Member
This is only my daily driver....track concerns are not much to me anymore. Just wanted a fun car to liven up my M-F interstate work commute without weird quirks and hiccups.

Thanks for replying.

SS lol

Established Member
So I wanted to fill everyone in on my experience ordering a kit for my 2013 Mustang GT. Just unbiased info, I plan on creating a separate thread detailing my install and 1/4 mile in 2 weeks.

I originally was looking at the complete Vortech and Paxton kits for my car. After calling both vendors, I discovered that neither has an automatic tune for 11-14 GT, they recommend going to a 3rd party tuner. I found this very surprising.

I then was looking at the Procharger HO kit, due to the price point. The Procharger HO kit does not have a tune available for 13/14 Mustang GT's, I was also not aware of this. I had heard bad things about the undersized intercooler on the stage 1, so this pretty much sealed the deal.

So basically, if you have a 13/14 GT a6 car, I would recommend going with a Beefcake special for a Vortech/Paxton car, as the Vortech/Paxton complete kits will require a custom tune anyway.

If you like the Procharger kits, understand that only the stage 2 is designed for the 13/14 cars.

Will post an install write-up shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sizeth3

Established Member
Were you okay on the ProCharger tune or did you eventually end up getting something custom?

The Procharger tune was fine, it was not a "Limp to the tuner" tune like many people have said, I drove it and raced it with that tune just fine. The biggest issue with that tune is that the redline is moved back to stock, so if you have an aftermarket tune with an increased redline, you lose a lot of your powerband. That said, the kit comes with 47 lb injectors, so the reason procharger went conservative on redline is limitations due to the small injectors.

TBolton

Established Member
I noticed that redlines as well. It was 7600....but now closer to 7.

It feels like there's a lot left on the table but it does drive just fine. Only driven it for about 30 or 40 miles but seems pretty good.

Once it warms up just a little bit and I start driving the car more I'll probably do the dyno tune thing and get it dialed in.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I noticed that redlines as well. It was 7600....but now closer to 7.

It feels like there's a lot left on the table but it does drive just fine. Only driven it for about 30 or 40 miles but seems pretty good.

Once it warms up just a little bit and I start driving the car more I'll probably do the dyno tune thing and get it dialed in.

The Procharger tune was fine, it was not a "Limp to the tuner" tune like many people have said, I drove it and raced it with that tune just fine. The biggest issue with that tune is that the redline is moved back to stock, so if you have an aftermarket tune with an increased redline, you lose a lot of your powerband. That said, the kit comes with 47 lb injectors, so the reason procharger went conservative on redline is limitations due to the small injectors.

To both of you guys, do you have datalogs of any wot runs with those 47's? I'd be curious as to how close to the ragged edge these are. Particularly looking for RPM, injector pulse width, stock wideband readings and STFT's

RPM + injector pulse width you can calculate injector duty cycle
Stock wideband reading to see what actual afr is, I believe all procharger tunes command basically .8 lambda
STFT because if you see these going positive in the upper rpms it means the ecm is attempting to quickly add fuel as it sees the actual afr drifting from what is commanded

Personally once my car was hitting 6200 my injectors hit 100% and the car was going lean. Then again this was with a d1x & a pulley set for 10psi@7000rpms

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
When adding any type of power adder to your car you should at a minimum do a datalog and verify everything is in check. If you do not feel comfortable doing this on the street then take it to a dyno. With a P-1 your more than likely fine but never assume its just fine. As the saying goes..... trust buut verify.

Glad you got the kit installed and I hope you enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread