Just read the Shelby GT500 review in the new Motor Trend

begone

Established Member
OKC03Cobra said:
In that same issue MT said that the 2007 Camaro will be out this year and that the top end model will have the 505hp LS7 engine and will weigh less than the Shelby.

They did say that, and then I went online to find any bit of news about that and NOTHING. It must have been a mistake. I wish they would come out with it sooner though.

assasyn

Established Member
Bishop said:
I love it how MT can get a 116 out of it, and C&D can only muster 113. Theres a big difference in those 3 miles per hour. Same way with the 0-100. MT got 9.6, and C&D got 11.5 or something... Thats really a big difference.
Either the two motors were really putting out about a 40+rwhp difference (doubtful) or the boys at C&D can't drive, or wanted to make the vette win or not look so bad (probably.)

Its says that the photog was an accomplished drag racer and he drove. Maybe he was a better driver.

assasyn

Established Member
bobosfocus said:
Mediocre?? Come on. Writers not impressed? Read the last two lines of the article. "The greatest Mustang ever? No question." To me, it sounded like they loved the car! They drove the car 3479 miles and had nothing but praise. Put slicks on it and it'll do low 12's.
Hell, just with track prep.

PKFIRE

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
I'm sorry guys!But I read this post and just shake my head; unless you’ve driven the car you really can’t say anything. I’ve owned a nice 03 Cobra, I loved the car, still do, my friend bought it! But these cars are night and day apart, Just like the 99/01’s to the 03/04’s.
The next generation Mustang will kick the GT 500’s ass. But it won’t look near as good. But that’s a whole new topic.
A lot of you guys know me! Trust me! This car kicks Ass! I wish I could go into details.
You’ll see! Have I lied to you yet?

Tim ( I have a 6/12/06 Build date, and an open invitation at MD Motorsports the day I pick it up!)

Hey your on here too! I'm guessing Dyno numbers will be posted soon after you get it right?

jman345

Banned
Is it me or does no one listen the reason the car there driving is getting 12.7 and 12.9 is because its a PROTO TYPE people when the production shelby comes out and MM&FF test it then we will see the real numbers say 12.2 to 12.2. And i can prove that the shelby will do a atleast a 12.2 in the quarter when MM&FF test it. I did some research and saw that a ferrari 575M Maranello wieghs about the same as a shelby and has about the same hp and yes some people have gotten this car in the 1/4 with only a 12.6 but then i saw other threads that have gotten it in the 12.2 so with both cars being about the same wieght and have about the same hp that right there tell me the shelby will get into the low 12s the production one not the proto type i dont care about the prto type cause you should know the prto type and the production shelby will perform different thats why i am waiting for the production one to be tested not by any magazine but MM&FF they will do it right they always get really low times in cars.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
jman345 said:
Is it me or does no one listen the reason the car there driving is getting 12.7 and 12.9 is because its a PROTO TYPE

WRONG.
If you people would actually bother reading the actual articles, you would know that they state that they tested a PRODUCTION vehicle. :poke:
Car and Driver specifically states it, I have the article in front of me. :read:

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
:read: This is what gave me a scare: Some will ask "why not 500 horsepower, like the new Z06?" or may quibble about the lack of an IRS. The SVT brain trust has addressed these issues from an engineering standpoint, but drives the message home at the bottom line. Unlike the 500 horse, IRS-suspended Viper, which costs $85K-plus (including destination and guz tax), and unlike the 500-horse, IRS-equipped Corvette Z06--likely to run anywhere from $60,000-$75,000--the Ford Shelby GT 500 will cost a lot less. Best guess? 40-45 grand. A pricier version--as an SVT Cobra--was under consideration, which would've had an IRS and an even more powerful engine. But the business case was rejected by management as too rich for a Mustang. So if they had made a SVT Cobra what would that price be? :shrug:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
As great as the C6 Z06 is...good freaking luck getting one for "$60,000-$75,000".
I talked to a local dealer last week about a VY '06 on the showroom floor. They are holding for $10k over sticker ($72k). I asked about ordering an '07 (since I truly want black), and they want $10k over MSRP for an order with a non-refundable deposit on the order.
You can dig around, and find a dealer to order one at MSRP...but it's going to be well over a 6-month wait for the car.
The hype is just starting to die down about the Z06, but it's carried on now since late last year.
S.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Snorman said:
As great as the C6 Z06 is...good freaking luck getting one for "$60,000-$75,000".
I talked to a local dealer last week about a VY '06 on the showroom floor. They are holding for $10k over sticker ($72k). I asked about ordering an '07 (since I truly want black), and they want $10k over MSRP for an order with a non-refundable deposit on the order.
You can dig around, and find a dealer to order one at MSRP...but it's going to be well over a 6-month wait for the car.
The hype is just starting to die down about the Z06, but it's carried on now since late last year.
S.

Snorman,
Just order one. Its worth the wait and the 10 grand.

sonicsensation

Established Member
BLUE OVAL NUT said:
:read: This is what gave me a scare: Some will ask "why not 500 horsepower, like the new Z06?" or may quibble about the lack of an IRS. The SVT brain trust has addressed these issues from an engineering standpoint, but drives the message home at the bottom line. Unlike the 500 horse, IRS-suspended Viper, which costs $85K-plus (including destination and guz tax), and unlike the 500-horse, IRS-equipped Corvette Z06--likely to run anywhere from $60,000-$75,000--the Ford Shelby GT 500 will cost a lot less. Best guess? 40-45 grand. A pricier version--as an SVT Cobra--was under consideration, which would've had an IRS and an even more powerful engine. But the business case was rejected by management as too rich for a Mustang. So if they had made a SVT Cobra what would that price be? :shrug:

Um,it IS 500hp.Go buy the mag. & read the article!!!

BetterthanU

Banned
Snorman said:
I talked to a local dealer last week about a VY '06 on the showroom floor. S.

look harder....they are selling at, or very close to sticker.....if you look around.

Any car that pulls over 1g, weighs 3100 lb, looks very good, 0-60 in 3.7 and 1/4 at mid/high 11s @ 125-126 and comes with a 427 making 24/18mpg....for 75k....deserves to be "hyped" till the cows come home...

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Snorman said:
S.

they are available today for msrp. i know a guy that purchased one last jan for msrp. if you honestly want one they are available for msrp today.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Purvis said:
Snorman,
Just order one. Its worth the wait and the 10 grand.
It's a great car, and likely the best performance bargain out there...but it's not worth $10k over sticker. I mean...it's probably got that kind of value, but it's going to depreciate far below MSRP within the next year.
That $10k hit will be the first to go.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
BetterthanU said:
look harder....they are selling at, or very close to sticker.....if you look around.

Any car that pulls over 1g, weighs 3100 lb, looks very good, 0-60 in 3.7 and 1/4 at mid/high 11s @ 125-126 and comes with a 427 making 24/18mpg....for 75k....deserves to be "hyped" till the cows come home...
I've looked at local dealers...I've got emails from several more about cars which I've inquired about after searching GMBuyPower.com. None willing to go for less than $10k over MSRP.
And yes, they are starting to drop now, and will continue to do so. The question then becomes, with '07 and '08 Z06's a certainty, and GM somewhat confirming production of the Stingray...how far will they drop?
I'd be kicking myself to see one on the lot in December for $5k under MSRP after I paid MSRP (or more!).
I'm not bored and I don't need a Z06 to occupy my "car time". I can wait.
:beer:
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
they are available today for msrp. i know a guy that purchased one last jan for msrp. if you honestly want one they are available for msrp today.
Link.
You'd have to look awfully hard, or know somebody.
Periodically, somebody pops up on CF with one for MSRP (I've seen two in the last few months)...they're gone in what seems like just hours.
S.

UVa SVT

Established Member
if the quickest stock srt10 RAM with 505 HP/TQ pulled out a 12.7 stock, with WAY more weight, 22" rims, and a less-than-optimal (compared with the ford 5.4 s/c) hp/tq curve, I don't see why it's not possible the GT500 wouldn't be significantly faster than this.

I mean, I think alot of you guys are not impressed because we all thought this would be a 12.0 vehicle, which it's not. however, I don't think it's entirely impossible to have consistent 12.2-12.4 times come out of this one, esp. in the winter time.

just my $.02.... and I don't really even care. I'm disinterested in this body style mustang and will pass up an opportunity to purchase one even if they are $30k.

-Mike

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Snorman said:
It's a great car, and likely the best performance bargain out there...but it's not worth $10k over sticker. I mean...it's probably got that kind of value, but it's going to depreciate far below MSRP within the next year.
That $10k hit will be the first to go.
S.
I meant order one and wait the few extra months, and get one at MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread