Just survived the Washington, IL F4 tornado

sonicmach1

Established Member
I just wanted to drop a line to see if anyone else was effected by this storm. I have counted that I should have been dead at least 4 times over via this storm - from almost leaving my house a few minutes before it got to my home, to having my generator start on fire with me filling it, to almost falling off my roof. I escaped with a broken thumb.

My home lost a part of its roof (above my son's room), rooms shot with glass pieces in doors and walls and furniture, many windows blown out, fence gone, trees gone, glass and insulation everywhere. Very fortunate that my family is all OK. Just 100 yards away there are no homes left. 1000-1500 homes are gone in town.

I took pictures of it as it came over the woods behind me. At that time is just sounded like the cliché "freight train". In just 30 seconds it displayed a full funnel.

For some lighter side news (as I need it), my Cobra is OK. Just got some insulation on it. It has never been in the rain, but has now been in a tornado.

Take care everyone!

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
**** that thumb you didn't need it anyways!!!

Glad you and your family are ok. Scary stuff for sure

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Would make a hell of a line for a for sale add "Never seen rain. Gave F4 tornado the bird with not a scratch."

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
A few pictures. You can check youtube for others videos.

This is what it looked and sounded like.
11-17-2013 Tornado Washington,IL - YouTube

Homeowner Films Washington IL, Tornado as It Approaches His House - YouTube

IMG_1122_woods.jpg

20131117_133025.jpg

20131117_133128.jpg

20131117_133214.jpg

20131117_112545.jpg

Planter

Banned
I spend ridiculous amounts of money and years chasing these things and have only seen 4 in my lifetime, this guy....he somehow gets one to make a beeline for his house and gets video I can only dream about.

:bored: F.M.L. :cuss:

glad you're ok, that video was pretty chilling when the screen went black and you could hear the house breaking apart around you as the tornado did it's work. crazy.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Planter, you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time, bud. lol. I've seen several this year just by driving around where I live. Including the Moore tornado back in May.

OP, I'm glad you and your family are alright. I know first hand what seeing a massive tornado coming at you is like and how destructive they actually are.

Planter

Banned
Planter, you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time, bud. lol. I've seen several this year just by driving around where I live. Including the Moore tornado back in May.

OP, I'm glad you and your family are alright. I know first hand what seeing a massive tornado coming at you is like and how destructive they actually are.

I know right? I was also in Norman coming up from the south to intercept the Moore tornado. 45 minutes after that my chase party and I bagged a mile wide wedge and a satellite tornado in Meeker. That was an intense day.

TorchMach

Established Member
Glad you and your family are ok OP. Try not to stress about it, we know it is unfortunate this happened to you and the people around you but be glad it's just the house that was destroyed....and your thumb.

Keep your head up.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Glad you're all okay.

Get that thumb fixed so you done miss any gears. :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, Brian, what a horrible thing to have to go through. Your daughter Josie was terrified for sure. That video you took shows exactly what it's like to go through one. So glad your family is okay. And you were so close to having your house leveled like others in your neighborhood. Thank God!

sonicmach1

Established Member
We were in our basement. Those videos are of others in town. I took some pictures, but once I saw the funnel and debris I ran to back basement wall.

DNT H8

Established Member
Thank God you, the fam, and the stang made it out ok!!

Can I ask why you guys didn't take refuge in the basement?

Edit: Nm read above

ctubbs

Established Member
Glad you are ok. I know what your going through. I was in the Joplin tornado a few years back. Things still aren't the same around here. It takes time but things will get back to normal eventually. Here's a few tips: Do not sign a "right of entry form". Tell FEMA to kiss your ass and stay off your property. Only use local contractors. Do not let your mortgage company dick you around on your insurance check. Immediately turn them into the attorney general or you will be waiting 4-6 months go get your house fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread