Just test drove cobra, what's the clunking noises

five 0 ninja

Established Member
Hey everyone. I can really use some Info and opinions here. I am actually on my way home from Delaware right now after checking out a 2004 cobra convertible. The good news is they were asking 26990 and after a week of haggling we agreed on 26750 out the door. So that is about 24900 for the car.
The bad news maybe is there is a very noticeable clunking noise mainly at lower speeds. You hear it mainly when you are shifting through the gears. But also some when you just tap the gas and let off quick. Everyone there is telling me every cobra they have had did the same thing. Some are a little louder then others. So what do you think. Do you experience any of this with your cobras? When you are ripping on it everything feels tight and smooth.

Everything appears to be bone stock. The car has 16800 miles and is in very good shape. Still has a little left over new car smell. Lol I had them put the car up on a lift and everything looked pretty good to me, but this is my first experience with newer stangs. I did notice there seemed to be a decent amount of play in the driveshaft. They are saying it's the backlash with these cars making the noise and when you get use to driving it you can prevent the noise yourself. Thanks for any info you can provide for me as I really like the car but am very nervous about the noises.

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
Some of the clunking may be the IRS, the supporting bolts are considered to be the incorrect size. I'm sure the fact that it is a Vert adds to the noises. Are you getting a warranty with this car?

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
Just throwing in my 2 cents, but I just purchased and 04 Mystichrome with 26,000 miles with exhaust and 19" TSW Wheels for a little over $18,000 out the door. All I am saying is there are smoking deals out there, just be patient. Good luck!

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
^^^ Damn, thats a steal!

The clunking however is normal. Almost every cobra has it. There are lots of threads about it...

divided

Established Member
The dealer is bending you over for 24K+. You can find nicer and/or modded ones for less. Most people who own these cars really take care of them so I wouldnt hesitate to buy one with the mods you want. With that said mine clunks too. Its a pretty common 'problem', but its really just an annoyance. Good luck.

That's not a bad price from a dealer with the miles being under 20k and it being a convertible. You should have pushed up on the pumpkin while it was on the lift. The differential bushings shred very easily. They were done at 40k on my 01 Cobra convertibel and at 60k they were done on my 03 coupe.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
you guys are forgetting something... As far as I know this is a Comp. Orange vert... I would kill for a comp. orange (not a vert though)

As far as the clunking noise goes, yep its most (if not all) cobras have them. I have a huge noise when I'm in 4th and quickly tap the gas and let off, it clunks pretty loudly :)

Last edited:

03sm3341

Established Member
You can get cheaper and real nice now adays

yeah i know thats the sad part:nonono: to the OP my car does it too. Once you have it for awhile like the dealer said your driving style will accommodate it. I can get mine to do it but just driving it i dont even notice.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
If its a comp orange... price isnt bad. They are much more rare.

And like someone else just said, once you get used to driving it, you can get around "the clunk" unless your trying to make it do it.

five 0 ninja

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I read some other threads a member showed me. Definitely sounds like it's something I shouldn't worry about. Although I think it sucks to pay that much for a car and it sounds like it's about to fall apart. Any other NORMAL things I should be made aware of? lol

And yea, it's a comp orange vert. He told me there was only two blemishes on the whole car. Those were the main ones. A small scratch that has been touched up on the passenger fender. It's about an inch long. Then a smaller scratch on the a pillar. There is also some very minor imperfections on the front bumper and maybe one or two on the hood. Other then that, car looks great. It doesn't have chrome rims, just the regular finish, and the tires are probably about half worn. Interior I believe is very close to perfect. Underneath is very clean. I feel like it's a lot of money for the year, but I have been looking for that color for a good half year and it's the first one I have seen anywhere in the country for sale. I would really like to get a saleen extreme vert or a s351 vert also. They are hard to find too.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Being 1 of only 72 made... Id say your price is more than fair! And, it looks great and very clean with ultra low miles!!

Im personally not a vert fan on anything but i love the competition orange so much, i can look past that especially with how much more rare the verts are. I want to find a clean CO coupe when im done with my SM...

As for anything else to worry about, its just "the clunk" that seems to be the only normal flaw on these cars which really isnt a problem... just annoying.

Last edited:

divided

Established Member
Being comp orange and a vert I say its worth the price for sure. You most likely wont see another one on the road ever.

mrose75

Established Member
Clunking is the tranny.... I asked the same thing with my '03 back when it was new. It's especially clunky at low speeds. Nothin to worry about there. As for the price, I couldn't tell you. Keeping mine until a nice low mileage 2010/2011 Kona Blue GT500 Coupe is available at a decent price. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread