K-Member Brace: OEM vs. Aftermarket

dsg_mach1

Established Member
I recently picked up a 99 Cobra vert and I've figured out that the OEM K-Member brace is missing. Question is should I pick up an OEM one or go with an aftermarket one? For aftermarket I'm looking at the Maximum Motorsports 4-point brace. Is this an either-or case or is it possible to install both for even more stiffening?

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
FYI the MM brace won't clear long tube headers incase you have them. I've got a MM brace in the garage that didn't fit :)

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I had the 4 pt brace before I put in the MM K member. I didn't notice any difference at all in the car. There are issues with it if you have a steel bellhousing like Lakewood or McCleod. Mind wouldn't clear it. I think it would clear the stock one though. I may actually still have it if you are interested. Shoot me a PM and I'll check if I still have it.

dsg_mach1

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm running the stock trans and bellhousing and I have stock manis with a Magnaflow catted X so that shouldn't be a problem either. I'm not sure if MrBrain was offering his up or not, I'm going to shoot you both a PM in a minute. I was originally leaning more to trying to pick up a stock one but if the MM is better and the price is right I'll go that route.

dsg_mach1

Established Member
OK, I just pulled up the install instructions for the MM brace and I frankly think the OEM vert brace will better for me. The way it ties all the way over into the body structure behind the front wheels looks to me like it'll do a better job of quelling the cowl shake that I'm trying to reduce.

Users who are viewing this thread