KB install

jknowles4

Established Member
Well I am finally getting around to installing the KB on the truck and wanted to know if anyone has any helpful info. on this. Thanks in advance!!!

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
jknowles4 said:
Well I am finally getting around to installing the KB on the truck and wanted to know if anyone has any helpful info. on this. Thanks in advance!!!

Read the directions twice from front to back first. It helps.

You're going to love it. What pullies are you running?

jknowles4

Established Member
I have a 4# lower and 3.2 or 3.5 upper. It has the 3.2 on it now and I think I will leave it like that. Do I need any new bolts. The directions say that 6 new bolts were included for the throttle body adapter but I bought this used.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You are going to need to modify the brackets on each side that mount to the bolts that hold the s/c on. The tabs for the i/c hoses on the pass side and the sensor bracket on the drivers side will have to have the holes enlarged or trim the inside edge of them off like I did. It is much easier to do when you have the eaton off and have the room to work. Also the small vacuum line from the intake elbow to the boost actuator won't be needed for the KB so a 5/32" vacuum cap will be needed to cap the fitting on the elbow once the line is removed. I hope you follow this, I don't have any pics right now. Good luck.

mhays26

Whats that sound?
Established Member
I got another one that I should have done the first time. Between the blower and lower manifold on the passenger side there are some guides on the first and last bolt hole on the lower intake manifold. PLEASE PLEASE take the back one out. Just get some pliers and take it out if it doesnt come off with the blower. If you dont do this, you will have a true pain getting the KB off for whatever reason in the future

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
It was challenging to get that bolt in, personally I would/did leave the locators in there to prevent any misalignment of the pulleys top and bottom. I'm overly anal about stuff like that though. Did you sell your KB yet Matt? Did you have any extra pulleys with it? If so lemme know. Are you tired of waiting for the header flanges yet? Frank is kicking some major a$$ with his L, the built motor is going to make things very interesting.

OH-MAN

Established Member
Mine was bumping in to the body area hanging over it when the engine would torque and move a bit. My tuner said he sometimes has to do a little fitting to give it a bit more clearance. I think some cabs are set a bit more forward than others. I will adjust it when I put on the C&L upper soon.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
When you take it off be sure to take some pics of you beating on the plenum for me, k? J/K man, I'll trade you my c and l plenum for yours, it doesn't hit anywhere and that will solve your problem. Free shipping on my end.

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
The JLP plenum is a nice peice, but I didnt massage my firewall and cause a vac leak. So stock upper is back on until I get a 5lb massager and some time

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
ID 10 T said:
When you take it off be sure to take some pics of you beating on the plenum for me, k? J/K man, I'll trade you my c and l plenum for yours, it doesn't hit anywhere and that will solve your problem. Free shipping on my end.

LMAO! You're on a roll tonight Bob. :pepper:

jknowles4

Established Member
Well just like I figured. Working on this truck never goes as easy as what it should. Worked on it from 6:00pm to 1:00am and didn't get done. This KB was used and the jacka$$ who had it before me stripped out one of the bolts. I was torquing them down to spec and the bolt stripped. Looks like he tried to fix it with a heli-coil kit. Then one of my old bolts head stripped off. I have to go out to eat tonight for a birthday so it looks like tomorrow will be the day. Do you guys think I should use another heli-coil kit or tap and re-thread it? This is on the plate bolt that the plenum attaches to,the bolts that are used to attach the plate to the KB.

Users who are viewing this thread