KB Tuning Options? Cant Get a Good KB Tune

stangin

Established Member
I cant seem to get a good tune going for my KB. I am running 23 lbs of boost, no belt slip - fixed..

I only see 513wrhp and 558rwtq with a decent A/F maybe a little lean at the end, Diablo has custom fixed this for my Dyno guy. I have not been back to re-burn and try again yet. I wish I was closer to one of the good 03 tuners with a dyno, my dyno guy has not worked with 03's enough.

Who has the most experience and would be the best tune to yeild the best numbers.. mail order? Getting fustrated, even KB says 621 rwhp @ 21lbs boost with stock injectors and their chip, I never saw anywhere near that . I am using the diablo delta chip now, seems to be what most of the tuners are using other than JDM. There are people making more power than I at way less boost (17lbs of boost). Any thoughts?

Thanks

mm49

Established Member
I am running the KB CHip for 55# Inj. with 19lbs boost never have dynoed but have ran [email protected] with a slipping clutch and a 1.80 60' time so far I am very pleased with the KB Chip and BAP setup. I could probably get more from a custom tune but my A/F is safe and my Plugs look a tad rich. Have you ran the KB CHip with 55s yet ?

slvrsnake

Established Member
I had good luck with the diablo chip from Modular Maddness. My numbers are in my sig. It's with a 17 lb pulley, but i'm actually only seeing 15.? on the autometer boost gauge and 16 when it's colder outside (40 degrees). I then got it custom tunded b/c i got the bigger fuel pumps installed by JD's.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
First of all, we need to know what brand dyno you are getting tested on, it makes a huge difference in your numbers. For example I have been consistantly putting down 540rwhp on dynojets(2 different ones to be exact). Then I just took my last tune to a new shop where they have a superflow. They have their superflow set to report dynojet numbers(some lame correction factor) and my car laid down 638rwhp. Seemed a bit high, but car felt much stronger than previous tune so I had him set it up for standard superflow output and car put down 540rwhp. Now superflows, from what I can tell report approx 10% less HP thn a dynojet so with that tken into account If i were to go back to my orginal shop with a dynojet, I should be right abour 600rwhp.

Additionally, what plugs/gap are you using?

trey193

Established Member
Just bite the bullet and take the car to JDM. If I had your combo I would take a road trip to get the combo right. Hell JDM just made 660something with Hammers car, they seem to be on top ! It may be way out of your way but unless you are in Cali I would consider it!:)

lethal

Established Member
Shadowgray-

Do you plan to go back and dyno? I'm going back to Steeda next month to test so I can compare my 363/360 rwhp/rwtq numbers. See sig below, I expect to see on the order of 460/460 when I re-dyno.

It's my only baseline and I'm doing it at the same time of year (Nov 15).

John

Edit: OK, where is my sig, here are the numbers

Stock: 335/320 rwhp/rwtq * Modded: 435/442rwhp/rwtq (Superflow)

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by slvrsnake
I had good luck with the diablo chip from Modular Maddness. My numbers are in my sig. It's with a 17 lb pulley, but i'm actually only seeing 15.? on the autometer boost gauge and 16 when it's colder outside (40 degrees). I then got it custom tunded b/c i got the bigger fuel pumps installed by JD's.

I agree. Don @ Modularmadness burns a good chip for the KB. Has lots of tunes to fit your needs. Give him a call.

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by mm49
I am running the KB CHip for 55# Inj. with 19lbs boost never have dynoed but have ran [email protected] with a slipping clutch and a 1.80 60' time so far I am very pleased with the KB Chip and BAP setup. I could probably get more from a custom tune but my A/F is safe and my Plugs look a tad rich. Have you ran the KB CHip with 55s yet ?

I ran the KB chip with the stock injectors, but have not sent it back for the tune for the 55 lb injectors.. so no.

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
First of all, we need to know what brand dyno you are getting tested on, it makes a huge difference in your numbers. For example I have been consistantly putting down 540rwhp on dynojets(2 different ones to be exact). Then I just took my last tune to a new shop where they have a superflow. They have their superflow set to report dynojet numbers(some lame correction factor) and my car laid down 638rwhp. Seemed a bit high, but car felt much stronger than previous tune so I had him set it up for standard superflow output and car put down 540rwhp. Now superflows, from what I can tell report approx 10% less HP thn a dynojet so with that tken into account If i were to go back to my orginal shop with a dynojet, I should be right abour 600rwhp.

It is a dynojet "SAE", TR6's at .038.

Shadowgray03, what tunes have you tried and what is the tune you are on now?

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
You need to contact Livernois Motorsports. The are making 660rwhp/770rwtq on their '03 KB 'vert with at only 17psi. The car made 540rwhp with only 11.5psi.

They know their sh*t.

zepfloyd69

im only running 12 psi of boost with the stock injectors, kb cai, kb bap, jdm/kooks long tubes, o/r x pipe, walker 3inch cat back and im using a custom superchips tune which works very well, i dynoed 529 to the wheels, also you may want to look into other chips and not sure what everyone else knows, but i have heard of people having problems with diablos. hope it works out for you, i cant wait for the 17psi pulley to go on soon, hoping for over 600

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
oops...that was a typo above. That should read 660rwhp/705rwtq.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by stangin
It is a dynojet "SAE", TR6's at .038.

Shadowgray03, what tunes have you tried and what is the tune you are on now?
at 23psi I would say .038 is waaaay to big of a gap in my opinion. I myself am at .032 at 17psi. My tune is done by patrick at diablo, I went straight to him cause the original dealer I went with screwed me and Patrick/diablo was great at standing behind their product. I likely have the same tune toofast4u is running.

03Steve

Established Member
I am paging bjherron right now. He will end this discussion pretty quick. :D

zepfloyd69

just curious if anyone knows, unit mentioned livernois making 660rwhp at 17.5lbs of boost on their 03 cobra, does anyone know what tune they are running (what chip), and what is the set up of that car
thanks

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
It's an Autologic chip custom tuned by Dan Millen at Livernois. They run a KB BAP with stock injectors. They are going to go to 55lb injectors soon because it's running out of fuel. It has the stock induction system with a drop in k&n filter. It has a single blade TB, not sure which brand. They are running a Bassani catted x-pipe with a Bassani catback (no headers). They ran 100 octane gas + octane boost just to make sure there was no issues.

That's pretty much it.

stangin

Established Member
I did not think this was going to be so hard to get a good tune for my KB, there are a lot of good tuners out there.. I just cant get through to any of them on the phone. I was able to talk to JDM, they can get the numbers, but they are not cheap.. and a 8 + hr drive. I think I have two options, to either drive to one with a dyno or try the mail order option. I would love more input.. Thanks guys, keep the post comin! How the heck am I going to get a good KB tune..

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
No getting around you needing a tune done on a dyno by a reputable tunner..Your Combo should make 600+ RWHP and TQE.
You will need to pay for dyno time anyway to check whatever mail order tune you get..You would be trying to get lucky with someone getting it close the first or second time.
Your only real option is what tunner?
I would highyly recommend Jim D'Amore @JDM as he has done your combo successfully already on a few cars.

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03

Thats what happen to me, my first time at the dyno was 603rwhp then I went to a different dyno and got 548rwhp. I wonder why so much gap in hp.

Users who are viewing this thread