KB tuning question please help???

dsfelton

KB Powered!
Established Member
I just purchased an 03 cobra with a KB 2.6. The car has a conservative tune, but the guy I bought it from was running 21 #. That is way to much boost in my opinion for pump gas. The other problem that I have is that the car was tuned with 93 octane in florida and all I have out here in Sh$% 91 here in California. Will I be safe to run 91 with octane booster untill I can get it retuned:shrug:? Or could I drop the boost to 17# and keep the same tune:shrug:. Help guys I'm not sure what to do. I am planning on running 17# with a conservative tune. Any advice is greatly apprieciated!

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I just purchased an 03 cobra with a KB 2.6. The car has a conservative tune, but the guy I bought it from was running 21 #. That is way to much boost in my opinion for pump gas. The other problem that I have is that the car was tuned with 93 octane in florida and all I have out here in Sh$% 91 here in California. Will I be safe to run 91 with octane booster untill I can get it retuned:shrug:? Or could I drop the boost to 17# and keep the same tune:shrug:. Help guys I'm not sure what to do. I am planning on running 17# with a conservative tune. Any advice is greatly apprieciated!

You can't run the 17# pulley on the 21#tune, the MAF tables will be off.

Take the car out and listen closely for spark knock, more than likely you should be safe. If you want to add octane booster, it won't hurt....

I'd suggest getting a new DYNO tune from a reputable tuner ASAP if you are super-concerned.

dsfelton

KB Powered!
Established Member
So running 91 with octane booster should be ok untill I can get a new tune? I wasn't sure and I'm just trying to be safe. A lot of people on here use torco, but no one around here sells it. I have a couple of cans of NOS. I am only putting 12 gallons in with each tank and then adding NOS octane booster for now. I am kinda strapped since I just bought the car so it might be a little while until I can get it retuned. Thanks for the advice.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
So running 91 with octane booster should be ok untill I can get a new tune? I wasn't sure and I'm just trying to be safe. A lot of people on here use torco, but no one around here sells it. I have a couple of cans of NOS. I am only putting 12 gallons in with each tank and then adding NOS octane booster for now. I am kinda strapped since I just bought the car so it might be a little while until I can get it retuned. Thanks for the advice.

You "SHOULD" be ok with just 91 by itself. Take it out, do some WOT pulls and have a buddy listen for pinging(spark knock). If you want to add octane booster thats fine.

I'd suggest finding the shop who BUILT the tune that you're running on now, and ask how much total timing you are running. Ask THEM if 91 is ok?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
What kind of octane booster are you talking about? Not all are equal. If you are talking about torco, then yes you should be fine if you use the correct ratio to get you to 93+ octane. I would check your A/F ratios as well, but if the car was tuned via MASS AIR FLOW TRANSFER FUNCTION as it should have been, then you should be OK with switching to a 17# pulley. It bases everything off of lbs per minute of airflow, so it should be just fine (if tuned properly). There again, who knows for sure. As far as timing goes, that all depends on your current tune. I would datalog and see where it comes in at with the 17# pulley. When doing this I would go ahead and pull about 4 degrees of timing via your handheld tuner, and do a 3rd gear pull to redline in a safe area if you can't get to a dyno. Take whatever your timing logs at and add the 4 degrees to it and that is where your tune was. If it is set to aggressively then you know where you need to set it. For 91 octane I would go with about 17* of timing for 17 psi to be safe and conservative. It still would be best if you could go somewhere and have your A/F ratio checked though because that is still going to be an unknown variable depending on how aggressively the tuner tuned for lower air flow in the transfer table.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Of course, after saying all of that, nothing would be better than getting a custom dyno-tune.

MikeW

Established Member
get a new tune just to know where the a/f & timing really are. Or if you have a wideband and can data log that may be ok too. 21lbs on any timing with 91 is not good. Even 17 with 91 with anywhere close to MBT is goona cause problems. If race gas is not an option ... order some Torco concentrate.

you could mix race gas to get the 91 up to 104 that youd need for the 21lbs.

LOL Having a friend "listen" for detonation is a bad idea unless that friend has superman hearing. If you can hear it in our cars it is REALLY bad.

Good luck :beer:

dsfelton

KB Powered!
Established Member
CobraDynoSheet.jpg

Here is the first tune done at 17#. He later added a 4# lower but I never got that dyno from him. I am trying to get ahold of the seller as we speak. The car does not have a wideband either. I am trying to get the number for the tuner to find out what the timing was set at or if if the car was tuned via the MASS AIR FLOW TRANSFER FUNCTION.. I am pretty sure the A/F was around 12/1. The seller said the it was a really safe tune, but just like I said before 21# just does seem safe to me on pump gas. I am running NOS octane booster and only putting in 12 gallons per fill up. NOS is supposed to give you 2 full point with 15 gallons. Any more advice is apprieciated. Thanks for the inputs. I am a first time cobra owner and am still new to all of this. I know that the tune is very important and I'm just trying to be safe untill I can get a new tune.

Thanks,
Dustin

Oh the car has:
Kenne Bell 2.6H Supercharger
60lb. Fuel Injectors
Metco 90mm Idler pulley
Metco 4lb. Crank pulley
Metco Alternator pulley
Billetflow IRS Brace
Accufab Throttle Body
12” S&B Air filter
Diablosport Predator Tuner
Diablosport MAF.ia
MSD Boost-A-Pump
Flowmaster exhaust
BBK X-pipe
Urethane Bushings for Differential

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
12:1 A/F imo at that level is not what I would consider conservative or safe. I would suggest a retune. It will solve all of your worries, and it is worth the cost. NOS octane booster is not what I would call a real octane booster. 2 full points is only taking you 91 octane up to 91.2 octane. Torco will actually take it up a full octane level. Not a point level. It is misleading advertisement. So, in closing, you are still running 91 octane.

-Jeff

dsfelton

KB Powered!
Established Member
No the bottle says 60 points which=6 full points which I was really doubtful about, but here is a webiste that tested it and it made 25 points in there test mixing it with a 15 gallon ratio. I am only mixing it with 12 gallons to be safe, but this is of course a temp solution till a retune. I'll give an update when I talk to the tuner. Thanks for the help Hissman.

Here's the link for the review.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_octane_boosters_tested/photo_12.html

Here's another for another review including Torco. Just click on the each pic for the review.

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread