Keep 03 Cobra or 18 Gt350

ClayDee

Established Member
Man, having a real hard time with this. Keep my 03, FBO, SB Cobra or get a 18, GT350. Would have to trade or sell the Cobra, can't have both. Just can't get it out of my head. Anyone gone from a Termi to Gt350? Whats your thoughts and opinions on the 350?.......

Osiris

Established Member
I have both. New to the Terminator, had the 350 for almost a year now.

My Cobra isn't modified for performance, which means the 350 is faster in every way. It's more livable as a DD as well (aside from steep curbs, driveways, etc.). My 350 only has JLT's CAI and Lund's Flex Fune. I ran the car on E85 for the first time over the last week or so and I was definitely impressed. I can feel the extra HP in Sport mode for sure.

I know what Terminators are capable of power-wise. The GT350 isn't designed for the same purpose. If you want a more modern version of what you have, consider a '13-14 GT500 or Stage 3 Roush.

The GT350 is meant to be driven...shifted often, pushed hard in corners, and despite all you know about Mustangs, really LIKES revving past 6k. It sounds amazing, looks amazing. I haven't had any maintenance issues, and I don't appear to be using as much oil as many have reported. Those are my own experiences.

The Cobra is a throwback for me. A car I have always coveted, but the technology gap is more than evident between the two. I like to drive it, but if I had to choose I'd stick with the 350.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I did and was very unhappy which is why I sold it. Very different machines.

Driving the 350 is amazing but lacks the raw kick you in the ass torque the cobra has.

Also I’d be concerned about the longevity of the motor in the 350s as they burn a lot of oil. Many engines have already been replaced under warranty. Also values have really tanked based on the 3rd full production year and the pending GT500.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ClayDee

Established Member
No plans to go any further with more power on the Cobra. Pullied seems to please me just fine. Only put around 3,000 miles on it the year and a half I have owned it, bought it bone stock, probably should have left it that way. Anyways, I'm sure the power of the 350 would please me, would possibly do boltons and a tune if I decided to get one. Thanks for your detailed response. What's the deal with the oil consumption?

Osiris

Established Member
No plans to go any further with more power on the Cobra. Pullied seems to please me just fine. Only put around 3,000 miles on it the year and a half I have owned it, bought it bone stock, probably should have left it that way. Anyways, I'm sure the power of the 350 would please me, would possibly do boltons and a tune if I decided to get one. Thanks for your detailed response. What's the deal with the oil consumption?
The suppliment says the motor can burn as much as a quart every 500 miles in certain driving conditions. Meaning tracked. I can tell you, not many 350 owners drive theirs to the limit they can go. I don't, but I have on several occasions. Your instincts will tell you to shift, based on the sound the motor makes, it sounds like hell's charriot past 5k. Stay in it and be rewarded. The car will pull all the way. And it feels glorious.

I just posted this in another thread...in 4900 miles and adding no additional oil, I appear to be down MAYBE a quarter to half of a quart (I'm getting in changed this weekend and I will the dealer to try and measure it). In the CC I had about1.5 ounces of oil. This id after an 1800 mile round trip (within a week)to Colorado and back, many high speed runs, two autocrosses and about 3 hours of hard driving up past 10,000 ft above sea level.
425c3b4a548b623c1fd7dfee67bb4378.jpg
121d8df417e31cd0bf47804a7f721216.jpg
172813500e8593970d695a2c082466c1.jpg

ClayDee

Established Member
Yea, I've been doing some reading on other forums about the consumption. Ehhh, scary to say the least. Definitely makes me think twice about it. Any word if this is affecting the 18's also?....

Osiris

Established Member
Doesn't scare me one bit. Never has.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The oil consumption "issue" is more urban legend than truth. I had the mechanic check my oil when I took it in for the state inspection last summer. It hadn't burned any oil worth worrying about in over 2,000 miles. I don't baby it, either. Don't worry about the power. It has more torque than the '03/'04 Cobra had. Unless you like lugging around in too high of a gear, there's no issue with power delivery.

jlauth

Established Member
I just sold my whippled 04 and bought a GT350. My Terminator was making 675RWHP/630RWTQ on E85. I owned the car for 10 years, my friends and wife are still amazed that I let the car go. At this point I have no remorese. My Cobra was a beast...very very fast. But I had not been driving it much the last few years...so when i did the power was almost scary and not usable. The car had been bulletproof, but i was always monitoring AFR and IAT2s because when you are making that much power there is little room for error. The GT350 is amazing to drive and pleanty fast...it all honestly it feels very fast, becuase the power is more usable. The brakes, steering, and handling really is just on another level when compared to the Terminator. I'm looking forward to some HPDE and AutoX events, and I plan to leave the engine on this car stock. I just want to drive it to the limit all the time.

I dont have concerns about oil consumption but I am taking the proper time to break in the car. I have 500 miles now and for the first time the car saw over 6500RPM the last drive. The first mod on thse cars is a passenger side catch can...but beyond that i wouldnt worry a ton about consumption.

ClayDee

Established Member
Trying to find one I can get for sticker. Not down to pay ADM. Looks like every dealer has a little tacked on top. May have my SB up for sale soon.........

Osiris

Established Member
Trying to find one I can get for sticker. Not down to pay ADM. Looks like every dealer has a little tacked on top. May have my SB up for sale soon.........
'17s are probably better deals. If you don't care about track racing it (as in more than 15 continuous minutes of HPDE) get the '16 tech, save about 15 grand. The car is virtually the same between all the years aside from the coolers being standard on the 17+ cars. You'll still find a lot of low mile examples out there. You can easily add the trans cooler if you want.

Most Shelby owners baby them, which is why I laugh when some call them gutless...lol turn off those nannies (REALLY turn them off, meaning hold the TCS switch until the car tells you Advancetrac is off) and get on it...THEN talk to me about being gutless...if you can keep the smile off your face or the shit out of your shorts that is...

ClayDee

Established Member
Yea, gonna continue to look, no rush at all buying. Gonna see if I can test drive one this weekend.......

jlauth

Established Member
I was able to get mine for 60k...sticker was 61. It had said on the lot a bit .I would think if you call around you might be able to order one at msrp. But if you are willing to drive 300 miles there are many sitting on lots right now.

Osiris

Established Member
I was able to get mine for 60k...sticker was 61. It had said on the lot a bit .I would think if you call around you might be able to order one at msrp. But if you are willing to drive 300 miles there are many sitting on lots right now.
I agree. I went out of state for mine too. Bought it over text message actually. Lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There's a GT-350 that's been sitting in my dealer's showroom for months. I believe they added a $15K ADM. Ridiculous. That said, OMG is that car gorgeous. Blue with black stripes. It sucks me in every time I visit the dealer for service. If I was to choose between a 15 year Terminator or a GT-350, there would be zero hesitation. GT-350! Vastly superior technology and features. A motor that makes you turn off the radio. Well, that happens with the '03-'04 Cobra, too. LOL.

ArkLightning

Established Member

jlauth

Established Member
That does seem to be a deal. Hard to believe dealers let them sit around that long without trying harder to move them. I would check it over good (and on the underside) to be sure it hasn't been a plaything for every kid who visits the dealer and wants to climb in something and salesman who want a fast ride to pick up lunch.

This is a great point. My car only had 5 miles on it so it hadnt been joy riden. However, it did appear that it was buffed...it had no major scratches or dings. But one thing that i did notice was the drivers side seat rail cover was broken. I am assuming that was from letting someone test out the back seat. The dealer did tell me that they keep it locked and would let the ocaisional customer look inside.

Also my front splitter was installed completely incorrect and missing 8 screws and 4 j clips. Dealer sent me the hardware and I installed myself. You have to give it a pretty decent smack with the rubber mallet to get it seated, but there are instructions on this site for how to install properly.

Users who are viewing this thread