keep or sell?

marco93cobra

Established Member
I have a 93 Black Cobra with 78K. I almost had the Cobra finished but a few years ago, we started a family and purchased some property with land, ect. I cant spend money on the car anymore. Things are very tight, I went back to college this last semester to get finish my masters and then to my Ph.D, so the money wont be around for awhile. It is a 347 with the Y trim blower. Done up real nice, very clean car. Since then, it has been under a cover sitting in the corner of the shop. I am getting tired of it taking up room, and not having the funds to finish it. (needs the flywheel to the driveshaft) I dont want to sell it, but I know of I did, it wont be missed, I dont even see the car since it is under the cover.

I am asking to see what you think for everyone who has sold the cars with/without regrets.

Should I go ahead and stick something "stock" in it and just drive it (will I kill the car since the low miles then turning it into a daily car for the most part?

Last edited:

Leeiswho2b

I'll be your huckleberry!
Established Member
With the economy and market in the shape it is in, I would just keep it. I can guarantee you that you probably won't get the price that you would be looking to get for it. If it isn't costing you a dime to store it, then I would let it sit until it is finished or the market picks back up.

Last edited:

fivestangs

Established Member
it's just missing a tranny? go get a used t-5 out of a junkyard or craigslist, stick it in, and don't beat it to death :)

or...

...maybe you could remove the blower and try to sell it and pick up a new t-5 for what, $1300? can you get close to that for a Y trim?

buddha93

Established Member
X3

If you have the space, and you can keep the mice out of it, I say keep it. Can't finish it, who cares. At some point in time, you will have the time to finish it and you'll enjoy every bit of it.

Do have kids? You could easily make it an awesome project that you could work on and none of you will ever forget doing so.......great memories.

As far as they mileage on your car, while reletively speaking it has low miles, for what's out there........no it doesn't. I'd say the biggest percentage of Cobra's out there are between 75-100k on the odometer. If you drove it and put a few thousand miles on it a year, your not going to hurt the value. Not having the stock drivetrain hurts it more then anything.

WillyB93

Established Member
X4 I'm with the other guys, eventually get the project finished or just wait to sell if that's your choice! If you have the stock motor you could put it in or just sell it with the car and built motor.

marco93cobra

Established Member
Yea, it isnt hurting storing it, it is just sitting there taking up room, room that I dont know what I would use but to store more junk rather than a Cobra.

Yes, I do have two kids (a two and three year old). It has alot to do with why I purchased the car. I have a blk 93 lightning that I wanted to give one of them (before we had kids) cause it was the first vehicle that I ever purchased. I was 18 and I still dont know why the bank gave me that loan:??: I figured that the cobra was the sister car for the lightning, so I bought it wanting to race it. I regret ever minute of it, but it is done. I should have pruchased one that was original.

I dont have the original motor, it was a roller car. It still looks 100% factory and in superb condition, but it doesnt have the original drivetrain.

I did think about selling the motor and sticking something closer to stock, but I think that I would sell the car cause it wasnt what I had. If you honestly heard it, you couldnt pull it out. I would have to sell the car and buy another one that was original. The motor wouldnt run without the blower, it is a custom setup with CamMotion cam. 8:1 compression to handle the 18-19 lbs of boost.

I did screw myself with this car, I was younger and regret it all. Another reason for thinking of selling it.

Do you think that the car will still have that "cobra" stature of other Cobra cars the same year even though it has been modded and cant be restored to original (by that I mean the matching numbers)

Thanks everyone!!!

buddha93

Established Member
Yea, it isnt hurting storing it, it is just sitting there taking up room, room that I dont know what I would use but to store more junk rather than a Cobra.

Yes, I do have two kids (a two and three year old). It has alot to do with why I purchased the car. I have a blk 93 lightning that I wanted to give one of them (before we had kids) cause it was the first vehicle that I ever purchased. I was 18 and I still dont know why the bank gave me that loan:??: I figured that the cobra was the sister car for the lightning, so I bought it wanting to race it. I regret ever minute of it, but it is done. I should have pruchased one that was original.

I dont have the original motor, it was a roller car. It still looks 100% factory and in superb condition, but it doesnt have the original drivetrain.

I did think about selling the motor and sticking something closer to stock, but I think that I would sell the car cause it wasnt what I had. If you honestly heard it, you couldnt pull it out. I would have to sell the car and buy another one that was original. The motor wouldnt run without the blower, it is a custom setup with CamMotion cam. 8:1 compression to handle the 18-19 lbs of boost.

I did screw myself with this car, I was younger and regret it all. Another reason for thinking of selling it.

Do you think that the car will still have that "cobra" stature of other Cobra cars the same year even though it has been modded and cant be restored to original (by that I mean the matching numbers)

Thanks everyone!!!

Meh, I wouldn't have any regrets about buying any of that stuff. That's life. You live and learn and as you get older, your priorities change. Textbook stuff man.

I'm kinda in the same situation. I have two 93's now. One with really low miles and the other with over 100k on it. I had a little oil change mishap with the high miler and put it on the market to sell with the OEM drivetrain in it, running. Quite honestly though, it won't cost me anything to keep it. My issue is storage space, of which I'm lacking. I have a few friends that have offered space, to I may go that route. I know that in 10 or 15 years, I will have wish I kept it if it were to go.

Your car is still a Cobra, no doubt about it. But the car's that seem to bring the money are the all original ones. But right now, the market is waaaaay down on these cars. The demand seems to be less, and there have been a lot floating around for sale for a long time. I think a lot of guys are moving on to the newer Shelbys and the 03-04Terminators as they're way down in price too, but the demand is high.

Is it possible to make the car look stock? No cage, etc.? That's one route to go. Otherwise, considering you bought it rolling I would sell it that way. You'll get hammered otherwise. I can't say what the car would bring right now, but generally speaking, one with a clean title with everything minus the drivetrain used to bring around 6k. A high mileage driver is in the range of $8500-10,500, depending on the overall condition.

As far as the value of these cars, most guys like to think their cars will be big money some day. But the fact is we're a long way from that and there were plenty of folks who bought them and shelved them. I have a guy close to me with a Black on Black with 600 miles on it.:eek: So what's that make somebody's car worth with 40k on it? The cars do demand a premium, but not what I see some of them listed for.

So did any of that make sense? LOL!

fivestangs

Established Member
I suggest removing the engine and selling it and the blower setup. Then go buy a 5.0 shortblock, put some afr 165s on it with a cobra intake, shorty headers, and pick up a new t-5 while you're at it, and have fun driving it!

I have nothing against the later model stuff (my wife drives an '07 GT convertible and I've owned 2 new-edge GTs), but when I see a clean FOX, *thats* what turns my head (and believe me, around here, they are few and far between!).

When I take the Cobra out, I almost always get thumbs-up from other mustang drivers, and I really think that's more because my car is a (somewhat) clean looking FOX (vs it being a Cobra).

marco93cobra

Established Member
I think that is what I am going to shoot for. I am going to get the engine specs out and list it for sale and just go with a simple combo that I can start driving. That way it isn't just sitting there. I do want to drive the car occasionally. I am glad that I did ask before I did something that I would regret later!

Anyone want a 347 stroker with a big blower

buddha93

Established Member
I am glad that I did ask before I did something that I would regret later!

I see a lot of guys on the boards talking about how they used to have a 93', only to wish they had it back time and time again. There are even a few members on here who owned, sold, a 93' only to track it down and buy it a few years later.

Just FYI, there's a guy on here who has an OEM Cobra engine for sale....or at least he did. Not sure what he wanted for it, but the car is came out of had low miles.

02_Lightning

Established Member
I got rid of my 93 in 2005 and thought that I would regret it... it had 43k miles. I am actually glad that I sold it then. I got good money for it that I would never have seen from it now. I liked the car, and it was fun but I wasn't going to tear into it to make it faster. I sold it to get down to one vehicle which was a 2005 F150 King Ranch. I hated that truck so much that I traded it in on a Trailblazer SS. I just did sell that back in January and ended up with a 2010 Cadillac CTS-V with a 6spd. This is a car that I will miss!!

marco93cobra

Established Member
I see a lot of guys on the boards talking about how they used to have a 93', only to wish they had it back time and time again. There are even a few members on here who owned, sold, a 93' only to track it down and buy it a few years later.

Just FYI, there's a guy on here who has an OEM Cobra engine for sale....or at least he did. Not sure what he wanted for it, but the car is came out of had low miles.

I will do a search and see if he still has it. I am going to be busy looking around now! I am excited! I will post pics and progess of it getting "born" again. lol She has been off the road for 6 years now!

buddha93

Established Member
I believe he sold it on Fleabay for $2100. It might be worth checking with him to see if it indeed was sold.........a lot of flaky bidding on there.

Yep, it'll be fun not to mention somewhat inexpensive if you sell your stroker.

marco93cobra

Established Member
Well,I popped the hood yesterday for the first time in almost 2 years! (I almost shut it again cause I really like the motor, but I do want to drive it) I found a local FMS crate 302 engine with alum gt40 heads, brand new centerforce clutch and the FMS 5 speed tranny with pro 5.0 shifter. I am going to look at it this weekend, I hope that I will be busy in the shop!

th_93cobramotor.jpg

Last edited:

TFStang

Established Member
Don't forget to check Craigslist as there are complete Cobra engines on there from time to time (intake to oil pan) for very reasonable prices. That would be nice as you would have a mostly original car that you would be able to drive.

Just wondering though...If you plan on driving it, why not just drive it with the blown 347? My notch is blown and it is one of the most fun cars I have ever owned.

marco93cobra

Established Member
Don't forget to check Craigslist as there are complete Cobra engines on there from time to time (intake to oil pan) for very reasonable prices. That would be nice as you would have a mostly original car that you would be able to drive.

Just wondering though...If you plan on driving it, why not just drive it with the blown 347? My notch is blown and it is one of the most fun cars I have ever owned.

It would be a very fun car, but I honestly dont want to wrench on the car anymore. Not to mention spend the money on it anymore. You cant get into the car with the kids, shakes too much, too loud, it has to have a mix of race fuel to run. I went too big when I started the project. I am thirty years old and getting caught street racing could hurt me, others and the reprocusions are a lifetime(I have always been the quite guy that likes to put the loud mouths on the spot,lol) but I just dont care anymore.

I purchased the car for the kids when they are older. I took my daughter home in it from the hosp. and my son in the lightning. I want to give them the cars when they are older. I would like to be able to get into the cobra and drive out to some shows, run into town and get a icecream with them so that they can start having memories in the car with me. Just something for the future.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread