Keep that radiant heat away from the lower intake

DevilSun

Established Member
So, I'm almost done with having my new engine and tons of accompanying mods being installed and back running. After seeing how close the long tubes were to the starter, I figured I'd buy a starter heat shield. Well, while surfing, I came across adhesive backed Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier and figured why not give it a shot since the lower was already off and clean as a whistle. In short, it came out great and I think it will be helpful. It's very pliable, just be careful it's not fun to work with when it starts itching and getting all over the place (don't do it inside lol). Not something I'd take my lower off for but the logic seems sound to me. Thumbnails go to larger photos...

Yes, I road-race/open track, and I know this isn't a solve all by any means, but it can't hurt.:poke:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Insulating the intake manifold may conspire to work against you.

The intake is likely to receive more heat conducted from the heads then the heated air off the rad. As you know aluminum absorbs heat like a sponge from metal-to-metal contact to a much higher degree then air. If you insulate the manifold it may actually trap the conducted heat off the cylinder heads raising the charge temperature. Also keep in mind the elevated temps from the blower output which can be pretty high.

The only way to confirm this is thru testing which would be a lot of work. Just looking at it and considering all the sources of heat the intake is exposed to this is something I would be reluctant to do without confirming it will actually lower the manifold temperature. If it gets worse then the engine will be more prone to detonation.

What I would be more interested in doing is routing an air duct under the intake to help cool the manifold but there is not much room to do that.

Just something to consider.

DevilSun

Established Member
Definitely, it may potentially work against. My thought was focused on the heat of the block after long duration hard runs, thinking it would be warmer due to combustion than even the heat-soaked compressed air being fed in. Overall, I think the most important part is getting effective cooling through the cooling components up front, combined with better extraction in the engine compartment which in turn causes less stagnant air (hopefully). This is just one of the attempts at aiding cooling I'm going for now...unfortunately I won't have technical data to compare against. I can't exactly imagine it making the cooling problem much worse, but I have been wrong before.

Out of the following, after a 30 minute run, which is more likely to be at a higher temperature? The iron block, the heads, or heat soaked compressed intake air?

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
so hopefully devil sun knows roughly what the IAT2's were before the install? waiting for the after results

Teej281

Established Member
You should get some of that stuff and put it in the valley of the block while you have it apart. Just a thought if its possible that it will work against you in this situation.

greengt88

Established Member
I was wanting to do this exact same thing except I was going to ceramic coat the lower and then use the heat shielding. Maybe I'll wait and see how it works out for u.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
where are you in the pac. NW if you don't mind me asking?

HOLY CRAP! That freaking GIF in your sig is awesome! That camera guy has nads of STEEL!
He almost gets flattened and then calmly puts the video camera back up and captures the rest of the wreck!:bowdown::bowdown:

Most people would be running to get a change of pants.:beer:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
HOLY CRAP! That freaking GIF in your sig is awesome! That camera guy has nads of STEEL!
He almost gets flattened and then calmly puts the video camera back up and captures the rest of the wreck!:bowdown::bowdown:

I bet he still shit his pants.

black 10th vert

Established Member

Wow is right!:eek: I bet it happened so quickly in real time, that he didn't even know what happened until it was over. Very lucky man!

Users who are viewing this thread