Kegerator owners in here....

Mayo5

Established Member
I'm looking to build two of them for my new place, any advice or suggestions?
I've heard they are pretty simple to put together, but would like to hear from more people. What are the things to look for,stay away from, best places to buy the kits; in general the Do's and Don'ts.

Or is it better to buy a pre-assembled one for the extra change?

And if you can, please post of the pics of your set-ups for helpful ideas!:rockon:

Thanks for any tips/advice.:beer:

Almost forgot to add, one Kegerator will be used for the cheap beer, for weekend parties, and the other will be well kept with finer lager's/pale ales primarily.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
here's mine

here is an old 1960's frigidaire that my grandfather gave me. i don't think he knew i was going to convert it into a kegerator. you could imagine, he didn't recognize it when i was done with it!!

Before: it had white house paint on it, which i removed down to bare metal
s35000205wg.jpg

s35000270au.jpg

After: primed, painted with 1957 chevy aqua automotive paint, all hardware powdercoated with sears powdercoating kit, kegerator kit from beveragefactory.com, blue moon keg from coors :beer:

s35000379xv.jpg

s35000013iw.jpg

s35000054ed.jpg

s35000406dr.jpg
[/

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
that's sick, I wanna build one of these, buy a tap machine (the Yagermeister cooler than dispenses shots at below 12 degrees F), and I want to turn my mini fridge into a Humidor for cigars when I go to college

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/kegerator-conversion-kits-portfolio-cid-4.html

and

http://www.kegworks.com/home.php?cat=423&source=navBanner

can help.

The most expensive part is the 5lb CO2 tank and regulator, you can get it filled at commercial welding supply houses cheaply. I've also heard that places that refill fire extinguishers can also fill them.

I just bought one of these for my new house.
getfile.php

-With a Bass coupler!-

You're going to have to pay attention to the coupler (often mistakenly called the "Tap") that goes into the keg. The coupler goes into the keg; the tap is the beer valve at the far end.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/keg-taps-portfolio-cid-20.html has a list of couplers and their keg applications. For instance, Bass requires a "G" tap, Harp and Guinness require a "U" type, Bud and Yuengleng (and most common US beers and microbrews) use a "D" style. European beers and ales use a coupler that's virtually indistinguishable from the "D" coupler, the "S" style. The two couplers differ in the centerpiece that actually opens the keg is about 1/2 inch longer with the "S" coupler.

Guinness requires a nitrogen gas setup, not the usual CO2.

Mike

Last edited:

SVT04

Established Member
Very nice but for the amount of beer I drink ..very little...I better stick to cans :lol:

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
You REALLY can't get any better than the old school amazing one posted above.

We have the one from Best Buy - put a different tap on it and called it a day. It's not very big though. I love the idea up top!

Mayo5

Established Member
I think those are out of my price range lol.

I'm looking to build both of them for hopefully under 500 give or take a 100; if not I will have to settle for just one nice one.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
my grandfather gave me the frige for $0, the kegerator kit came from beveragefactory.com $160 with CO2 bottle, the automotive paint was $150, weatherstripping $10, and the labor was free. total investment just over $300. the prep work was obviously a bitch, but the frige turned out nicer than i thought it would.

Mayo5

Established Member
yeah definately, I would say so. Awesome job bro!

Are Goodwill/Pawn shops good places to look?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Let me know when you have it finished so I can come to T-Town and party. It'd be nice to see some of my old high school buddies too.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
You can get an almost unlimited supply of 'fridges by goosing the local delivery guy $20. I got one that way; they're always taking away an older (functional) model when they deliver a new one.

They usually need a little cleaning, and will have some scratches on them, but that gives you the opportunity to create something truley amazing (as above).

Apartment complexes are continuously changing appliances, I got 2 'fridges from the local complex for use at my wedding.

Want one?

Mike

theraapster

Established Member
How long does a keg of beer stay fresh in a kegerator? With a normal tap you can tell it is starting to go flat within about a day or so, I would assume that with a kegerator and a CO2 hookup it would at least last for a couple weeks, if not longer.

Users who are viewing this thread