Kenne Bell 3.6LC Hood Clearance

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I am sending mine back this winter to have the LC package added to my 2.8

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I'm not as hard core as you Van, at least not yet :)

Right now I am mainly looking to take the car to the drag strip and post up some good times. With the liquid cooled blower and your Revan Dual-Pass heat exchanger, I do want to be able to get several runs in at the track when I go. Hoping with that combo I won't be dealing with heat soak issues. Considering you are road racing your car with that combo, I don't think I will have a problem?

Having seen BJ's Suncoast hood in person, I know it is a very attractive hood. Any issues with Suncoast over the competition on multiple runs?

The Super Snake hood is likely ideal for heat extraction and it definitely is beautiful. Sadly, unavailable as I understand it. Perhaps I should go hoodless until it comes off backorder :beer:

For the record, mine is NOT a Suncoast hood. ProGLas (Terry) built it. One of about 10 or 11 in existance. Suncoast bought the mold, but it's not the same.

Van, are you talking about trapping heat on my style of hood?? Just curious, because underhood temps are cooler than stock. The extractors work at speed (any speed), not just sitting still like the stock George Foreman Grills.

bj

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Hood question remains

So, I took delivery of the 3.6LC Kenne Bell Stage III kit today. Really excited to get it on my car, but at the same time, I am dreading it because I have yet to sort out the hood conundrum.

Here is what I have found out after spending a lot of time on the phone with vendors and, of course, internet research.

Shelby Super Snake Hood

Was told several times by the guys at Shelby that the SS Hood was expected to be available by mid-August. This is not going to be a ram air hood, due to lean issues presented in previous generations of the SS hood. Received an email that the heat extractors were back in stock for the SS hood, so I called Shelby this week in order to verify that the hood was on schedule for August.

I speak to a different guy than normal, and he tells me the other person I was talking to was way off on the date. I now hear possibly Octoberm but I am told nothing is definite. This is a complete departure from what I was told by the regular person I speak to, who had told me that the hoods were completed and being tested a few weeks ago.

Bottom line...doesn't appear that I can count on the desired hood being available any time in the near future.

Venom Hood

This would be a great alternative to the SS hood, but the Ram Air potentially will cause fitment issues with the KB CAI.

BMC Extreme Customs Carbon Fiber KR Style Hood

Like the Super Snake hood, this carbon fiber hood doesn't have functional ram air. It appears to have decent room for fitment. I have heard mixed stories about whether a carbon fiber hood is better or worse than a fiberglass hood. Heard that they might not be as strong as fiberglass. Could potentially be a short-term solution until the desired Super Snake Hood becomes available.

Cervini or Trufiber Cowl

The Cervini has a 2.5" Cowl and the Trufiber has a 3". It is certainly cost-efficient. I am not clear how heat extraction works on a cowl hood, versus KR of SS style hoods.

Anyone care to offer their opinion on the BMC carbon fiber hood? Good or bad idea?

Will a cowl hood trap too much heat, or is it a legitimate functional option in light of the fact that the primary options I am considering will not feature functional Ram-air?

Thanks for any constructive responses :beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
a carbon fiber hood not as strong as a fiberglass hood??? that goes against everything i've learned about composites, lol.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
So, I took delivery of the 3.6LC Kenne Bell Stage III kit today. Really excited to get it on my car, but at the same time, I am dreading it because I have yet to sort out the hood conundrum.

Here is what I have found out after spending a lot of time on the phone with vendors and, of course, internet research.

Shelby Super Snake Hood

Was told several times by the guys at Shelby that the SS Hood was expected to be available by mid-August. This is not going to be a ram air hood, due to lean issues presented in previous generations of the SS hood. Received an email that the heat extractors were back in stock for the SS hood, so I called Shelby this week in order to verify that the hood was on schedule for August.

I think the earliest of Super Snake hoods had lean issues. I remember many discussions on Team Shelby about this, but there was a baffle (fix) for the early hoods and later production hoods had the baffles incorperated into the hood structure. I was not aware of lean conditions in the later hoods.

R

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I was also under the impression that carbon fiber was strong, but a few people I have spoken with seemed to suggest that a fiberglass hood holds up better.

a carbon fiber hood not as strong as a fiberglass hood??? that goes against everything i've learned about composites, lol.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
SS Hood

I also was under the impression that there was only an a lean issue on the earlier hoods, and that this was later fixed. The problem is that the vendor that had previously made them is no longer in business, so they are being re-manufactured. I was told over the phone by the folks at Shelby that the new SS hood would not have functional ram-air. This is the same man that told me that the hood was done being manufactured and it would be available by mid-August, so I hope he is incorrect in his impression regarding the functional ram-air as well.

I think the earliest of Super Snake hoods had lean issues. I remember many discussions on Team Shelby about this, but there was a baffle (fix) for the early hoods and later production hoods had the baffles incorperated into the hood structure. I was not aware of lean conditions in the later hoods.

R

BigDan

Established Member
What about the Cobra Jet Hood?

You could always cut your stock hood for clearance and just drive it like that until the SS hood shows up. I think it would look bad ass. Or just slap a SGT scoop over the hole and call it good till the SS hood show up.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I also was under the impression that there was only an a lean issue on the earlier hoods, and that this was later fixed. The problem is that the vendor that had previously made them is no longer in business, so they are being re-manufactured. I was told over the phone by the folks at Shelby that the new SS hood would not have functional ram-air. This is the same man that told me that the hood was done being manufactured and it would be available by mid-August, so I hope he is incorrect in his impression regarding the functional ram-air as well.

What kind of $$$ are you expecting to spend for a hood? What is the price range of the hoods that you have listed?

R

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Hood prices

The Cervini Cowl lists at $500, but is well over $1,000 painted with stripes.

The BMC Extreme is $900, and would not need to be painted unless I chose to do so.

The Super Snake hood, which is what I really want, will utlimately be more expensive, but also gorgeous. It is $1,099, plus $200 for the hood extractor vents, plus shipping, plus prep and paint. I would expect about $800 for paint, with a $500 to upwards of $1,000 for prep depending on the quality it arrives in.

After having spoken to yet another person at Shelby today, I don't expect the Super Snake hood to be available until at least October.

The most cost efficient way to install the supercharger would be to work out a way to fit it under the stock hood. Evolution offers a fit-under-stock-hood option for $700. Right now, I have headers on the car with 1/2" lowering motor mounts. My car is not lowered with springs or struts, but that kit will lower the engine approximately another 1.5", above and beyond the current .5" that I have the engine lowered.

I am not certain how /lowering/modifying the K-member effects the clearance of the exhaust, but from speaking to a guy at a car show with a heavily modified car, he had to purchase a modified X-pipe when he lowered his engine 2 inches. He had a custom exhaust, versus my Bassani set up, so the comparison is not apples to apples.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I got mine under the stock hood with some modifications and spacing!

Has anyone been able to make the 3.6l fit under a 2010+ hood with just the 1/2" drop mounts and trimming the underside of the hood? If you want a polished, liquid cooled KB, the 3.6 is only a couple hundred more expensive than the 2.8.
If the 2.8 fits with trimming, and the 3.6l is only .75" taller, you would think you only need aan additional .25" from trimming.

kwj1966

SVT Poster
Established Member
3.6 kenne bell hood clearance

2009 model. does anyone know measurements or have pics of the hood cutout ?? im gonna cut mine because i cant afford a cowl hood right now......text me at 325-455-4594.....thanks

Imatk

Established Member
You may want to check on the carbon fiber hood.

The ones I looked at a year or so ago were fiberglass hoods that were WRAPPED in carbon fiber.

Meaning... it's just a fiberglass hood with a CF veneer.

A real carbon fiber hood would be stronger and lighter than a fiberglass hood, but you're likely to pay above what you would want to pay. (Think 5k and above)

Users who are viewing this thread