Kenne bell competition dual boost-a-pump makes 1020 rwhp (1200ehp)

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Let's simplify this:

You have an engine that, for the time being, has a Turbo ontop. In order to achieve 1000hp that engine has to ingest say, 1500 cfm.

Now, take the Turbo off and put the blower on the same engine.

In order to achieve this same power level with a blower, we can all agree that the same 1500 cfm will be required to achieve that power MINUS the power that would be required to spin the blower, right?

Let's just say that the blower takes 100 hp to turn at this level. Simple math would tell you that it would now take 1650 cfm (1500 cfm to achieve 1000hp means 150 cfm for 100hp, so 1500+150= 1650)

In order to have an identical A/F, the engine that is now injesting 1650 cfm's is also using 110% of the fuel that the first one was using.

EDIT: This is taking into account that both power adders are fairly comparable in terms of advertised airflow, resulting in similar IAT's

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Let's simplify this:

You have an engine that, for the time being, has a Turbo ontop. In order to achieve 1000hp that engine has to ingest say, 1500 cfm.

Now, take the Turbo off and put the blower on the same engine.

In order to achieve this same power level with a blower, we can all agree that the same 1500 cfm will be required to achieve that power MINUS the power that would be required to spin the blower, right?

Let's just say that the blower takes 100 hp to turn at this level. Simple math would tell you that it would now take 1650 cfm (1500 cfm to achieve 1000hp means 150 cfm for 100hp, so 1500+150= 1650)

In order to have an identical A/F, the engine that is now injesting 1650 cfm's is also using 110% of the fuel that the first one was using.

EDIT: This is taking into account that both power adders are fairly comparable in terms of advertised airflow, resulting in similar IAT's

There you go, can't get much simpler than that. :beer:

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I personally like the turbo downhill...blower up hill anology. It's funny how we all make sense of it except the Bell's....Can we all be wrong?? Doubt it...I guess I'll have to create a PDF...;-)

All joking a side...The boost-a-pump serves a purpose and the Lethal triple system serves a purpose....But if your building a purpose built car...a stand alone single pump return style system is where it's at.

Also I've said it before and I'll say it again. The chassis dyno is a tuning device and that's it or all the turbo supra's would run 9's...:rollseyes

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
I personally like the turbo downhill...blower up hill anology. It's funny how we all make sense of it except the Bell's....Can we all be wrong?? Doubt it...I guess I'll have to create a PDF...;-)

All joking a side...The boost-a-pump serves a purpose and the Lethal triple system serves a purpose....But if your building a purpose built car...a stand alone single pump return style system is where it's at.

Also I've said it before and I'll say it again. The chassis dyno is a tuning device and that's it or all the turbo supra's would run 7's...:rollseyes

Corrected for ya:beer:

brisk_tea

Established Member

Also I've said it before and I'll say it again. The chassis dyno is a tuning device and that's it or all the turbo supra's would run 9's...:rollseyes

I'm glad I wasn't too far off-base in the way I feel about the situation. And as I already said, BAP is fine for the majority of the "dyno-queen" gt500s that are over 700+ at the wheels and never go to track (no roll-bar/cages), but a real race car, under real loads, needs a real fuel system. Otherwise there would be no aeromotive, etc.
Extra money for this, is much cheaper than blown engine.
:poke:
But, when I get a KB in the near future, and they are willing to stand by their BAP and replace engine if it fails, then I would be willing to trust them, otherwise I will spend the $ to safe-guard my engine when it's raced.
:burnout:

dave281sc

Established Member
Here is an interesting read on the effects of high and low voltage on an electric motor.
motorsanddrives.com - Electric Motors and Voltage

The following thoughts are based on a returnless system where the pumps are pulse modulated, so only WOT would have the potential to shorten pump life.
Walbro specs there pumps out at 12-13.5 volts. So it would be safe to say anything below 12v or above 13.5v would draw additional current beyond optimal design criteria, with the possibility of shortened lifespan. An average FPDM has aprox a 2v drop, so pump voltage would be reduced to 11.5, assuming the wiring from the battery has been upgraded. This is below optimum. Given the pump with a BAP would only exceed the optimal current draw when you passed the maximum Power draw ratings of the pump (current x voltage) I doubt if there would be enough additional heat generated for a long enough time to noticably decrease the life span of the pump anymore than running below 12 volts would.

If you have stock fuel lines the pump would have to work harder to supply the same amont of fuel to a given engine. Given most don't upgrade their fuel lines when using a BAP to increase fuel flow this could be a disadvantage. However once again the extra wear and tear on the pump for the short periods of time the pump would be run above the limits are very short and would be negligible to pump life.

I think the most important thing is to make sure your duty cycle does not exceed aprox 80% whichever way you plan to upgrade your fuel system. Each method has drawbacks and each method has advantages. While I doubt a BAP would shorten the life expectancy of a fuel pump used within these guidelines, I doubt any possibillity of a BAP increaing the life expectancy of a fuel pump, as I have seen claimed.

:pop:

Last edited:

snakepithp

I will never do business with lethal performance. this is all childish, very unprofessional, and undeserving of a good reputation.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Yeah who cares anyways lol good for them no reason for lethal to get butt hurt . Supposed to be on The same team here...... idk why lethal wont endorse Kenne bell but they are the first thing to my mind when I hear 03 Cora would be smart if they sold their products too

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

einehund

Established Member
I will never do business with lethal performance. this is all childish, very unprofessional, and undeserving of a good reputation.

Thank you for digging up a dead thread, as alot of the info is good here. However... WTF is this for a first post?? Why would you make your first post be in a 3 year old thread?

Users who are viewing this thread