Kenne Bell's response to the Ford reflash - service?

f2fast4u

Established Member
Great service after the sale. This is their email response to me regarding the Ford reflash. For me to send them my computer (hard to drive the car without one) so they can get the new codes plus charge me? Who is servicing whom? Not real please with them right now. Their email:

"You can (and will have to) remove the chip for them to reflash your EEC, but the existing chip if reinstalled will recreate the problem since it was made from the same code from the originating EEC with the problem. You will need to send us your EEC AND your existing chip once reflashed, so we can dump the new Ford code, make adjustments to a new chip, then send it back to you.

If this is entirely new code we have never seen before, there will be a $199 charge to redo all the programming for the new chip. If the new code Ford flashes into your EEC matches one we already have, then we will only charge you freight for a reburn of your existing chip.

Regards,

Ken Christley

Tech Dept."

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice! I'm not convinced that what they are saying about the chip needing to be reburnt. I was told by SVT that, yes, you have to remove the chip to get your computer reflashed by Ford, but then you simply reinstall the chip. They said the chip shouldn't have to be touched. Anyone else have any input?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Bob - I am almost 100% POSITIVE that you will have to get your chip reburned if you get the re-flash. Because it will change your computer code from YDH0 or YDH1 to the new AMZ1 code. The chip has to be burned for whatever code you have, thats why you have to tell your tuner what code you have. You will need a reburn.

f2fast4u - I don't know how Performance shops handle this situation, but its your decision to get the reflash. I dont think KB should be expected to give free re-burn's to everyone that chooses to get a reflash. The reason for the reflash is because of the stalling. KB is not at fault for the stall. If you choose to get the reflash, you might have to pay for a reburn on your chip, thats just how it goes.

Again, I don't know what other shops are doing about this. I could be wrong, but I don't think many shops will be willing to give out free reburns because of Ford's mess up.

But I do agree that KB shouldn't charge you for sending them your computer so they can get the new code.

Last edited:

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
From what the Ford folks have told me, the computer code WILL NOT change to AMZ1. Mine is still YDH1 after the flash and, the way it was explained to me is that chip manufacturers should not be messing with that portion of the EEC code (illegal just like the 4 bank chips) so you should be fine.

In regards to the computer code, I was told that YDH1 is the last 03 computer version and the re-flash is more like a patch rather than a wholesale version change so the computer code does NOT change. If you are at YDH0, they would probably bump you up to YDH1 and also add the "patch" to fix the stall. Any PCM you buy for the 03 Cobra will carry the code YDH1 and will include the stall fix. As far as I know, AMZ1 is specific for the 04 and may not even work with an 03 due to the different emmissions equipment and such. I can't confirm that last statement but it wouldn't surprise me. Anybody who works for Ford able to confirm that? If I am wrong, I apologize, I am just relaying what the Ford tech who re-flashed my car told me...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 1CEBITN
From what the Ford folks have told me, the computer code WILL NOT change to AMZ1. Mine is still YDH1 after the flash and, the way it was explained to me is that chip manufacturers should not be messing with that portion of the EEC code (illegal just like the 4 bank chips) so you should be fine.

In regards to the computer code, I was told that YDH1 is the last 03 computer version and the re-flash is more like a patch rather than a wholesale version change so the computer code does NOT change. If you are at YDH0, they would probably bump you up to YDH1 and also add the "patch" to fix the stall. Any PCM you buy for the 03 Cobra will carry the code YDH1 and will include the stall fix. As far as I know, AMZ1 is specific for the 04 and may not even work with an 03 due to the different emmissions equipment and such. I can't confirm that last statement but it wouldn't surprise me. Anybody who works for Ford able to confirm that? If I am wrong, I apologize, I am just relaying what the Ford tech who re-flashed my car told me...
Hmmm. What your posting makes sense. It was also my understanding that the flash was a patch and not a complete new set of code. Maybe I'll have my dealer check for me. I'll report back tomorrow what he tells me.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
My question is why are people with mods as serious as a Kenne Bell getting the Ford reflash anyway...

f2fast4u

Established Member
Thanks for the updates. I'm just not pleased that KB wants me to send them my computer... and if something happens bad to it while they have it, who is responsible? How do I even know if it's mine they send back? I didn't send mine in when I bought almost $4,000 worth of stuff from them 6 months ago. My computer code is YDH1.

True service would be they'd charge me for a new chip that is current, then refund my money (or most of it) when I send the other one back - that way the car is not side lined for two weeks.

Sly - reflash to fix the stall that is inherient in the car, mods or no mods.

Last edited:

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Sounds like they really want to use you for a ginny pig. Obviously they have not done it for anyone else yet or they wouldn't need your EEC. They should be doing it for free so they can fix other customer's at a charge. You would be doing them a favor by letting them experiment on your car so you should get the whole thing free. Run that by them...

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
f2fast4u does your car stall with the KB on it? After I installed the KB and correctly set my idle and TPS my car doesn't ever even think about stalling.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I was told that YDH1 is the last 03 computer version and the re-flash is more like a patch rather than a wholesale version change so the computer code does NOT change
:??: Well I don't know then because the performance shop I talked to said it will definately change the computer code. :shrug:

Thats exactly the reason why I have not taken the car in for the reflash. I don't want to have to send the chip out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by KevinJKD
:??: Well I don't know then because the performance shop I talked to said it will definately change the computer code. :shrug:

Thats exactly the reason why I have not taken the car in for the reflash. I don't want to have to send the chip out.
You could very well be right Kevin. And that's why I, too, haven't taken my car in yet. I won't until I absolutely know what's being changed and whether or not I need a chip reburn.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You think the Ford reflash to fix the stall will be relevant to a KB modified car?

I don't think it will.

Honestly, I believe most people that have the stall really have their manual base idle set incorrectly. Not the computer one but the physical idle adjustment that can be made by unplugging the computer idle and taping off the holes.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
My reflash experience:
1)I removed the Predator tune and returned the PCM back to the OE burn before going to get the re-flash.
2)installed the new re-flash from Ford, no problems.
3)tried to re-install Predator tune..."vehicle not found" in data base and would not install. (also tried with a recent run 04 Predator unit)
4)currently driving with OE re-flash program installed and patiently waiting for Diablo to crack the re-flash code.

The good news is that the idle is very stable and noticably smoother.

Shawn at SoCal Diablo worked with me through out this ordeal and has been very helpful...he feels it will take a few weeks to get the new code.

I have to assume that those that run a chip will have a similar experience with the re-burn. :beer:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
You think the Ford reflash to fix the stall will be relevant to a KB modified car?
Should it? I would think that if the car stalled with the eaton, it would stall with the KB (with all else being equal) because is has to do with the rolling idle correct? On that note, that means the fix should be the same for an eaton or KB cobra.

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I had called KB to ask about getting a new plenum for an Oval TB instead of the stock TB I have now, I was told i would have to ship the blower back because in order to seal it properly, They had to do it.......

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I think I am gonna get screwed with my Predator. I took my car in for tick coming back after first head replacement and forgot to reflash my computer to stock. I am just using the Performance Tune (it idles better and disables O2 sensors) but what happens if they decide to flash my computer with the newest fix and I have not set it back before hand. I know my car will be fine but what is the predator gonna think. Stupid me.

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by Johnny Random
I think I am gonna get screwed with my Predator. I took my car in for tick coming back after first head replacement and forgot to reflash my computer to stock. I am just using the Performance Tune (it idles better and disables O2 sensors) but what happens if they decide to flash my computer with the newest fix and I have not set it back before hand. I know my car will be fine but what is the predator gonna think. Stupid me.

First, they should tell you if they flash it. Second, if they do, keep out of boost and arrange with Diablo (or whomever you bought your Predator through) to reset it back to factory.

You'll be good as gold.

John

f2fast4u

Established Member
Well, the last email from Ken at KB said they have now decided to do the chip for no charge - for me. I just talked to my Ford dealer, he is going to research the SSM-17542 and call me back. He said bring him the car, he will remove the chip, flash the EEC, remove the EEC and give it all to me for shipment to KB, plus I can leave the car with the dealership and they will re-install the EEC and the chip for me when I bring it back in - now that is service! I'll keep you posted...

Users who are viewing this thread