Kenwood OEM Integration Headunit

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Kenwood iDataLink Ford SYNC and GM OnStar Solutions - YouTube

Historically not a fuge fan of either Kenwood products or the aftermarket installs kits for 2010+ Mustangs but this was interesting. It keeps the display up top and also provides a custom screen where typical ODB2 data can be displayed along with other data like tire pressure, etc. Plus it retains Ford Sync.

If this isn't buggy as all hell I'll probably try it out. Probably won't be out for a while though.

Slegos888

Established Member
any idea if it will allow video playback while driving my kids are begging to watch spongebob on those long road trips

acrbill

Established Member
When you said it keeps the display up top I thought you meant the navi screen was up top like the OEM.

Not sure why they made a new surround only to have a trim ring around the head unit.

I will keep my extraordinarily expensive Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
When you said it keeps the display up top I thought you meant the navi screen was up top like the OEM.

My bad. I meant it doesn't place it at the bottom in front of the shifter like the other install kits.

Last edited:

mjohns930

Established Member
It seems like the head unit is really slow to load the selected screens. Maybe it is just that model but that would make for an irritating experience, especially when trying to adjust the HVAC system.

ah4449

Svt browser
Established Member
It seems like the head unit is really slow to load the selected screens. Maybe it is just that model but that would make for an irritating experience, especially when trying to adjust the HVAC system.

Agreed, was thinking the same thing...

CobraHuck

Established Member
I might consider this once they've gotten a few versions in. I don't have NAV/touch screen, just the regular SYNC but I HATE the cheap aftermarket dash kits right now. I'd hate to see the price on this tho

macbar13

Established Member
Sweet. That would be really cool if it integrates smoothly. I don't think that display in the video is the top of the line unit either. I love the tire pressures. Why doesn't our center display show tire pressure? My acura did.

Last edited:

BUCKET

Established Member
I have money...... Take it...... Give me, give me!

Read the 990 will be out next month. Anyone know when the dash kit and everything will be advailable?

kingnut

Established Member
I think its a step in the right direction. But as i stated before. I wouldnt buy this setup until kenwood/pioneer/clarion gets their head out of their asses and implements Navi HU's with android OS. It would be scalable and offer over 100k of apps. Also the speed of the android OS wont have the lag of kenwoods crappy in house java OS.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldnt buy this setup until kenwood/pioneer/clarion gets their head out of their asses and implements Navi HU's with android OS

You realize Clarion is vendor for all the OEM headunits in these cars, including Nav. Was hoping they would come out with an integrated "aftermarket" upgrade but probably some contract prohibiting that sort of thing.

Agreed, the Kenwood HU was laggy as all hell. Fortunately it's not there flagship product so there's hope.

kingnut

Established Member
what does it matter that clarion makes the OEM stereos for my mustang? i wouldnt care if JVC, pioneer, or kenwood made it. that had nothing to do with my statement. stock stereo is what it is. im talking about everyone adopting Android Operating System. as the one and only, for any and all touch screen applications.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Easy there cowboy. Was pointing out that Clarion as the OEM vendor would likely be the best choice should they come up with an appropriate NAV solution. Since they obviously know where way around the Ford electronics and programming. But no, it did not directly address your statement and was not meant as a clarification.

kingnut

Established Member
no worries, i see what your getting at. what alot of people dont understand is that when the big aftermarket companies (pioneer, kenwood/jvc, clarion, alpine, etc). start embracing a unified OS (Android). developers will start writing Apps for Ford, Chevy, ETC. what this is gonna give you is endless possibilities for car programming and upgrade functions.

Apps could be written for direct access to HVAC controls, toggle switch controls (lights, sunroof, windows, etc), turbo timers, and endless other applications. i cant wait until this happens. it shouldnt be long but im gonna guess it is gonna take a little while to work the bugs out.

also apps like torque pro are kickass. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en but they need direct connections (usb) not bluetooth. bluetooth is nice but has a higher latency than usb.

the user could do fuel mapping and other PCM controls right from the nav display. talk about badass.

Last edited:

EazyIce

Established Member
Maybe they will get really smart and make a kit that has the capability of installing a Nexus 7 or iPad mini. I would love that.

Users who are viewing this thread