Key Mod

Walk2Much

Established Member
I Got tired of having a key and fob. Decided to go with a switchblade style key fob. I don't see why ford is still using keys they used back in the late 90's on one of their top of lines cars. Mine is a 09'. I hope they changed them in the later models. I would prefer to have a keyless push button start.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Walk2Much

Established Member
I went with a key-less push button start and I love it. Coordinated it with the Viper SmartStart system.

Where'd you put the start button? Replace the ignition with it? I was going to go that route with my truck but no one around my area seemed confident enough to do it, so I gave up on it.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Michael do you have any more info on this?

When you say key-less do you mean a push button start or a actually keyless start like the infinities? Using a proximity sensor in the fob used for starting

69Mach1351w

Established Member
Michael do you have any more info on this?

When you say key-less do you mean a push button start or a actually keyless start like the infinities? Using a proximity sensor in the fob used for starting

Im very interested in this as well. If similar to my '10 infiniti's proximity sensor, this would add a lot of comfort for me. I have an '11 GT500, so i could mount the push button where the 12V plug is between the AC/Heat vents.

Not sure how it would work outside though, my infiniti had a little push button built into the door handle. I assume we would still have to unlock the car with the key fob.

*Walk2much. . .They make key cases that fold for base models and other ford models other than mustang, however it doesnt look like I could find one off the bat for the GT500. Example here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Fli...Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_5265wt_956

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
this in interesting. OP Where did you get the switchblade style key from? Curious if this would work in a Cobra as well...

SVT_Troy

Established Member

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
all depends on how indepth you want to get with the install. I did one on my brothers and it took us (me) a week to get everything sorted out. Hooked up the push button start but then he wanted a key like the 11 with the buttons on the key. Took it a step further like the Acura where there is a sensor so no key in the ignition. Did have to remove the steering wheel and disamble the lock mechanism.

On the bright side you just get in, put your foot on the brake and start the car as long as it's in neutral. Down side is the steering wheel has no lock at all. Once the locking mechanism is removed there is nothing you can do to stop the wheel from turning

Walk2Much

Established Member
I only have one key/FOB right now. Why do I need at least 2? Iv'e been wanting to get a spare fob/key mad so I figured I would just do this

For some reason you need two keys to program another. ( i have the instructions. I can pm them to you if you'd like) When I got a remote start put in my f150 I also had to have two keys to program that. I think for the second key and having it programmed ran me about $75. I'm sure someone else on here knows more about than me. You should ask a locksmith about it. Probably be cheaper than going to a dealer.

Walk2Much

Established Member
all depends on how indepth you want to get with the install. I did one on my brothers and it took us (me) a week to get everything sorted out. Hooked up the push button start but then he wanted a key like the 11 with the buttons on the key. Took it a step further like the Acura where there is a sensor so no key in the ignition. Did have to remove the steering wheel and disamble the lock mechanism.

On the bright side you just get in, put your foot on the brake and start the car as long as it's in neutral. Down side is the steering wheel has no lock at all. Once the locking mechanism is removed there is nothing you can do to stop the wheel from turning

Have any pics?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
The cheaper systems use the second key in the PATS system for the auto start. Without a key the vehicle wont start. I think the halo ring is about 25 bucks and you just place the spare key inside. Since the key is chipped it basically makes the vehicle think the key is in the switch for the auto start. They have a more expensive box that was around 100 last time I did one that you can program with the key so you still have both keys in your possession.

I don't have any pics of the wiring that I did for the car but think I have a few pics of the inside of his car somewhere. Everytime at a car show other Shelby owners are fascinated at the functionality of it. Was a pain in the you know what to do. Basically had the entire wiring harness in the dash out getting everything tied in. Anyone else I wouldn't have bothered to do it but I lost the dumbest bet in the world.

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
Im very interested in this as well. If similar to my '10 infiniti's proximity sensor, this would add a lot of comfort for me. I have an '11 GT500, so i could mount the push button where the 12V plug is between the AC/Heat vents.

Not sure how it would work outside though, my infiniti had a little push button built into the door handle. I assume we would still have to unlock the car with the key fob.

*Walk2much. . .They make key cases that fold for base models and other ford models other than mustang, however it doesnt look like I could find one off the bat for the GT500. Example here:
Folding Flip BLANK REMOTE KEY FOB CASE SHELL & PAD Modified FORD 4 Buttons Key | eBay

^^It says not compatible with the Mustang.
Has anyone tried this to verify?

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
David, is there a sensor that lets the car know When someone entering the car has a key? Or can anyone in the car push the start button?

On my remote start in my truck it uses the same idea except after entering the vehicle a key must be placed in the ignition or touching the brake will disarm the remote start

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
There is a sensor that came with the system. If the key Fob is within 10 feet of the car it will work. If the key fob isn't close enough to the car then nothing happens. When you get in the car and push the button nothing happens anyway. You have to put your foot on the clutch for it to start. When the Fob is within the sensor's range and you push the button it just goes to accesory and then another push of the button goes to On. Won't start unless the clutch is pushed down.

There is no key for the car just the key FOB. Only thing the key is good for now is the glovebox and armrest. Once close to the car it unlocks the doors. When you get out and walk away the doors lock themselves. Down side is if the battery goes dead in the FOB your out of luck getting into the car if you don't have the key. He never keeps the key anymore. Just the FOB on his dog tags the he wears around his neck.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
When I was looking for some of these keyless starts, some of them required that you leave a key in the ignition on the run position. And some said to just put it in run and break the key off. Lol not really my style. Here is one I like. I don't feel like dropping this much money on it though.

Keyless Ignition RFID Push Button Start systems

I have one of these for sale if any one is interested PM me. I never got around to installing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread