Killer Chiller GT500!

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
So when it's all said and done, what will the drag set up run me and will there be a group buy? I'm nervous about finding someone to tackle this install but I'm sure I can find someone.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It's not difficult. You just need to find someone who can purge your A/C system of its refrigerant (the legal way.) It took me a couple days to do the install, but that was because I was scared out of my pants and had to find a radiator shop to purge the system. If I had to do it again, I could get it done probably in less than 3 hours. And that's still on the long side. The most annoying part, really, is taking the front fascia off.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
It's not difficult. You just need to find someone who can purge your A/C system of its refrigerant (the legal way.) It took me a couple days to do the install, but that was because I was scared out of my pants and had to find a radiator shop to purge the system. If I had to do it again, I could get it done probably in less than 3 hours. And that's still on the long side. The most annoying part, really, is taking the front fascia off.

I'm disabled, bad back, so I'd have to find someone to tackle it

J.Kincaid

Established Member
we made a system similar to this years ago for the terminator and lightnings. they work incredibly well and after my last track day and my 3x coolant res warping on me i was thinking i really needed to get one in my gt500. i had one of these in my pullied terminator (our system) and it was just insane at how well it worked. so i cant recommend a system like this enough. we stopped making them as they were too much of a hassle for us to deal with. i still have some parts for a system but i may be interested in grabbing one of these KC instead. i really like the flip switch idea for no condensation for track usage. great idea. :beer:

joe, do you have to cut lines or any part of the car? i know the earliest KC systems you had to but i thought i had heard that you changed that.

besides everything joe said in his reply, the MAJOR thing here is "always on". unless youre drag racing at the track, you cant keep adding ice etc... plus that takes a while. when i had my system in my truck, i took it to a drag strip. i made back to back passes (private track day, no waiting) non-stop. by the time i got back in line, the coolant was very cold again. meanwhile other cobra/lightning guys were in the pits putting bags of ice on their blowers and waiting around for them too cool down.

even at wot back to back, the coolant never got HOT. once you let off the accelerator it starts kicking in immediately and cooling the fluid down again. i made multiple passes up and down the street at a dyno day then immediately popped my hood and i could lay my hand directly on my eaton. it was barely warm. try doing that without this system lol.

Yep and the system works even better on the street because the condenser sees more air flow due to the forward motion. As to your question about these kits. Most are now bolt on kits, except for the GT500. We offer that kit with the lines already done, or a splicer kit for the high and the low side hoses. We use Aeroquip EZ clip splicer system. I like it because it's a better connection then OEM, and it's so easy the customer can do it themselves.

What water pump are you running? If it's the stock 07-12 Bosch you will see much better results running the 13' GT500 pump.

Now that we have the aux tank installed I think we'll be switching over to the better pump, and see if there's an improvement to be logged.

I agree on the ice thing, it is a pita to drain and fill etc. it's like comparing a blower to nitrous, the blower is always there, the nitrous you have to fill bottles, open bottles etc. it's convenience your paying extra for. A bag of ice is 2 bucks versus the KC system and install. I do like the drag set up and I'm considering it depending on pricing and ease of install. I also realize their test car is making more boost than mine, I make 17lbs of boost so obviously their car is making more heat. Like I said I wasn't knocking it I was just expecting lower temps. I'd like to see results from a 1/4 mile pass with the drag set up.

Again those temps are pretty good when you consider that with the stock setup we were seeing 164 degrees going thru the traps, and that was on an evening that was 10 degrees cooler. We'll be going back out to the track with the the auxiliary tank installed, and that should show even lower temps. When you're running just over a gallon, you have to be short with your burnout or you'll heat your cold fluid up more than you want. So with extra fluid on tap you can do a longer burnout and not be so stingy.

How many RPM is the blower turning? Or what is the upper pulley DIA, lower pulley DIA and engine RPM? Which TVS is it?

We're running the gen-2 VMP TVS with a 2.4 upper, and a 15% overdrive ballancer. It's pullied for 23.5 lbs. because of our DA out here it only sees 19-20 psi, but it still makes the heat of a 23.5 lbs setup.

Can the A/C pump survive being on all the time and being spun up to 7K? It would be really cool (pun intended) if it could be operational at all times.

Unfortunate the compressor is only designed to operate at low to mid RPMs. It will come apart at the higher RPMs. that's why it's a good idea to add more fluid capacity, so when the compressor disengages you'll have plenty of cold fluid in reserve.

So when it's all said and done, what will the drag set up run me and will there be a group buy? I'm nervous about finding someone to tackle this install but I'm sure I can find someone.

We're gonna sale the drag setup for the regular kit price just for this sale, and this sale only...I want people to see the advantages of this setup.

Last edited:

J.Kincaid

Established Member

New aux tank insulated and installed...it'll add just over gallon of fluid, making it a total of 2.25 gallons of IC fluid...we're insulating the top expansion tank as well.

railroad

Established Member
I hope the 13/14 GT500s are on the calendar for a sale. I have not heard any down sides to this product and am excited to put one on.

que4dog

Established Member
...We're gonna sale the drag setup for the regular kit price just for this sale, and this sale only...I want people to see the advantages of this setup.

Will you give a special price for the drag kit for us that purchased the kit already during this sale?

J.Kincaid

Established Member
Will you give a special price for the drag kit for us that purchased the kit already during this sale?

I think we can definitely work something out for you. We're going to do a GB for the 10-14 GT500 kits now, and offer the drag setup for free, if we can get 10 people signed up for the regular kit.

I think those that already have our kit, we could knock 50 bucks off the drag option so instead of $200.00 it would be $150.00.

J.Kincaid

Established Member
What is the group buy price?

We're going to offer up the base kit for $650.00, and the drag kit for $750.00 That's $100.00 off on the base kit and $200.00 off on the drag kit.

How about 07' to 09'?

I'm making some changes to the 07-09 GT500 kit, and should have it ready in about 30 days. You can still get in on the GB, but I'd wait till the new setup comes out. We're making improvements to the 07-09 kit.

J.Kincaid

Established Member
I hope the 13/14 GT500s are on the calendar for a sale. I have not heard any down sides to this product and am excited to put one on.

We're going to do a group buy for the 10-14 now, and after we finish up with the changes on the 7-9 kit, we'll do another GB for them.

Can you still run the bigger roush reservoir 3x capacity tank with your new aux tank?

Yes you can. You can run about 3.5 gallons total, before it starts taking too long to chill down.

Is there a discount code? How do we take advantage of this GB?

I'll post up a group buy sale this Thursday or Friday.

Are the 11 and up kits getting reworked to? I'd like to get in on the group buy let me know how.

Only the 7-9 GT500... we're making some changes to that kit, and it should be ready to go in about 3 weeks.

J.Kincaid

Established Member
New Track temps!

[youtube_browser]zadnsPAcvNE[/youtube_browser]

So we went back out to the track this last weekend with the addition of the new aux tank. We now have a total of 2.25 gallons of IC fluid. We found that if you let it idle too long the downstream temps will be a little higher due to elevated intake temps. First run saw 105 degrees going thru the traps, and on the second run we shortened the chill down time, and we saw 96 degrees going thru the traps!

We saw a best of 124 mph on our outing.

Overall drop in IAT-2 temps was over 65 degrees, and we picked up 5 mph thru the 1320.

If we get 10 people signed up we'll do the 10-14 kits for $100.00 off, and $200.00 off on the drag setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread