Kind of a dumb question

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
When I did a 5 lug conversion on my 87. I swapped the whole rear end from a 95 GT. is the 95 gt rear end any better than the 87 or did i downgrade? assuming both are stock. Will I have any problems?

lxsteed

Established Member
Thats the easiest way to do it, its not a downgrade. You're wheels will sit out a litter futher, but in my opinion it looks much better. Did you end up with the same gearing?

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
I dont know what gears either one has. I've never checked and don't really know how to. I'm a newbie at gears. I read an article once on how to check. I'll try it one day. The 95gt rear end might have upgraded gears since one of the previous owners modified the car alot (trickflow intake, msd blaster, bored to 306, etc).

I like the fact that it'll make the rims stick out more. I put 17x8 Mach 1 rims on it for now and they're still tucked in quit a bit. I'm guessing it'd make 9 or 10 rims stick out flush with the fender which I want anyway. I prefer my rear rims not to be tucked in.

Last edited:

Jfoster

Established Member
The SN95 width will make many 9 and most 10inch wheels stick out too much unless you get custom backspacing (7.00"ish for a 10")

Last edited:

jamessims

Established Member
I have a 91notch with a lincoln rear end everyone know they are wider does anyone know what custom back spacing for the rim i will need to make a wider tire look good in the back

Jfoster

Established Member
They're all a little different but in my case, a stock rear width fox with a 6.5"bs brought the inside of the wheel as close as you'd probably want it on the inside. That should work for a 9.5-10" wheel. On anything wider, you just need to add that additional width to the BS of your wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread