knee replacements

wally9404

Established Member
december the sixth i go in to have both knees replaced.im freaking out already . i have heard if you only do one ,you never want to have the other one done,because the pain is unbearable, so i figured i do both at once.has anyone here went thru this procedure? how bad was it? how long before you were 100%

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
I heard the same thing about getting a bunyon(sp?) taken off. In may I have to get both bunyons removed and then have the things implanted in the bottom of my feet to give me an arch. Yeah my feet are ****ed up.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I have never heard anyone say that. If you get both done at the same time, how do you do rehab without at least one leg to stand on? Is this something you are pushing or is your doctor advising it?

I have 2 relatives that just got out of knee replacement surgery in the last week... my mom and my uncle.

One week after, my mom is doing great and has had very little discomfort during the entire process. She did a lot of exercises and stretching BEFORE and it's paying off now.

My uncle is having a harder time. His knee probably hasn't been straight in over 5 years and he's somewhat out-of-shape...so his ligaments are being bent in ways they haven't been for a long time. He's definitely having a tougher time of it. I'm not sure he did any physical threrapy before.

wally9404

Established Member
like i said;i probaly wouldnt go back for the second one the doctor said; lets do it! surgery will take about three hours. i can hardly wait to get it over with,no more knee problems, its going to be worth it.

2003 Silver

Banned
wally9404 said:
like i said;i probaly wouldnt go back for the second one the doctor said; lets do it! surgery will take about three hours. i can hardly wait to get it over with,no more knee problems, its going to be worth it.

How long are they good for....I now hips are good for 10-12 yrs? My uncle had both hips replaced (separate times) and he did exercises out the ass before the operation and it really speeded up his recovery time etc.

wally9404

Established Member
doctor drained mine today and then a shot of prednisone. i never even asked how long they were good for ,but i have heard ten to fifteen years.

I do workers' compensation claims and see many knee replacements.

You will be fine if you do exactly what the doctor says, work hard on therapy and strenghning and not be a wuss about it because it is going to be painful.

:beer:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
wally9404 said:
december the sixth i go in to have both knees replaced.im freaking out already . i have heard if you only do one ,you never want to have the other one done,because the pain is unbearable, so i figured i do both at once.has anyone here went thru this procedure? how bad was it? how long before you were 100%

Wally one of my close friends is an Orthopedic Surgeon and when I was still in practice I used to drain and shoot a lot of knees. I also used Hyalgan to help stay off surgery for a while for patients.

Doing both knees at once isnt usually recommended according to my buddy. But he does do both at once in cases like yours. If you get a good titanium knee replacement they are now good for 25+ years. The older replacements usually needed to be redone every 15 years.

Yes indeed you will feel like a new man. The pain will be worth it. Just make sure you do your leg exercises while healing to prevent DVT.

Good Luck

oldmodman

Established Member
And don't be afraid to use all the painkillers that you need to be comfortable.
And if you need more DEMAND them. Also make sure before going into the hospital that it has the "on demand" post surgery IV painkillers. I have had back surgery twice. Once where you had to buzz for the nurse then wait forever for pain meds. Then you are given it after the previous dose has totally worn off. In the second hospital I had the "push the button when you feel like you need it system". You actually use less drugs since you can self medicate at the first sign of discomfort, instead of after it hurts so bad you just want to chew your own leg off. Or maybe I'm just a wuss :-D

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I hate to say this but you're better off not operating on your knees.

Take this for a grain of salt but here's my story:

Back in high school I was an all American guard who tore cartilage in my right knee my Junior year. Like everyone else I was focused on getting back into the game ASAP. So, they operated on my knee and in 3 weeks I was back in the game.

Unfortunately, I was out long enough to be replaced for the remainder of the season. My senior year I "tore" it again during track season and decided to wait it out.

This was a good choice. At that time I doubled my cycling regimend and wound up getting a stronger, better knee for nearly 10 years. No surgery.

In January of 2004, I was thrown from a snowmobile nearly 15 feet and landed right on the same knee. I didn't know I tore it again until March when the knee would lock up during sleep and while sitting. Sometimes it was so bad I couldn't walk 10 feet without severe pain.

I went to the surgeon and he said I needed surgery right away. I declined. Instead I focused on knee exercises, rest, cycling and swimming. By July I was running 4 miles again with NO PAIN.

I pulled my knee again recently when I was working on the yard, but fortunately within 2 weeks I'm back in the saddle again.

I know this sounds like a ploy, but let me assure you, your body does an amazing job of healing itself. Be patient, and try to get yourself back on your knees using old fashioned rest and exercise.

It worked for me. :thumbsup:

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I had knee surgery on both kenees one week apart. It's not replacement now but you're still flat on your a$$. I didn't have a choice, the left knee locked up on a monday- surgery that friday, the following tuesday the right one done the same. The doc done that one thursday. My problem is I have gout that wasn't under control at the time. I' m the worst case my 60 year old doc has seen for my age [32]. You can do both but I would stagger them at least a week so your not completely down. The therapy will be leg lifts of various styles and an exercise bike. They raise the seat high until you can peddle around a complete rotation. Once you get going they will lower it little by little to make you bend the knee more. I've had a total of 3 surgeries to clean up the joint and smooth it out. If you're really wondering if you need it get a 2nd opinion. I was off work for 3 weeks, I might could have done it in 2 it I had a sit down job. Please message me later if you get it done. My doc is threatening me with the same deal in a few years if I'm not lucky. He's been giving me Supartz[sp] injections to help out. It's made from chicken cartilage.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I just injured my knee at work and went to get it checked and its fine (thank god). I have some fluid secretion and they asked if I wanted it all drained or to check to see if I had caused irreparable damage to anything but I'd rather let it heal on its own (being as I'm only 21 I think I'll be ok). This kind of shit scares the hell out of me tho, I don't care what kind of replacements are available they're not the same as the original equipment :-D

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
05 Roush said:
I hate to say this but you're better off not operating on your knees.

Take this for a grain of salt but here's my story:

Back in high school I was an all American guard who tore cartilage in my right knee my Junior year. Like everyone else I was focused on getting back into the game ASAP. So, they operated on my knee and in 3 weeks I was back in the game.

Unfortunately, I was out long enough to be replaced for the remainder of the season. My senior year I "tore" it again during track season and decided to wait it out.

This was a good choice. At that time I doubled my cycling regimend and wound up getting a stronger, better knee for nearly 10 years. No surgery.

In January of 2004, I was thrown from a snowmobile nearly 15 feet and landed right on the same knee. I didn't know I tore it again until March when the knee would lock up during sleep and while sitting. Sometimes it was so bad I couldn't walk 10 feet without severe pain.

I went to the surgeon and he said I needed surgery right away. I declined. Instead I focused on knee exercises, rest, cycling and swimming. By July I was running 4 miles again with NO PAIN.

I pulled my knee again recently when I was working on the yard, but fortunately within 2 weeks I'm back in the saddle again.

I know this sounds like a ploy, but let me assure you, your body does an amazing job of healing itself. Be patient, and try to get yourself back on your knees using old fashioned rest and exercise.

It worked for me. :thumbsup:

That is a nice story but what you are not understanding is that he doesnt have a condition that will heal. He has a degenerative joint disease that has made the joint useless and painful. These are not stability issues caused by torn ligaments or tendon that need repairing. He is a 60 year old man that has worn out knees. The pain and loss of mobility from that condition is significant. It will never heal itself and no amount of rehab will improve his situation.

He needs knee replacement. They totally replace the entire knee joint.

wally9404

Established Member
thats the truth! bone on bone is what i have now. ill be 65 tuesday and 45 of those years were construction.if any of you younger guys out there are working in the construction field buy yourself some knee pads,and use them everytime your going to be on your knees for awhile.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
My mom had some sort of freak reaction to her knee replacement. A couple of weeks after the surgery her leg was swolen and felt like it was burning. I told her it was infected and she needed to go to the doctor. She ended up going about midnight or so and it ended up she had cellulitis. That, along with built up scar tissue from not exercising it, causes to this day pain for her.

Users who are viewing this thread