Koni Strut Question

zw470

Established Member
I was researching various lowering springs for my car and came across a comment on another forum that indicated the Koni struts (both the Yellows and Oranges) for our cars lower the front-end an additional 1/4" on top of whatever lowering springs you install. Any truth to this statement? And do any other manufacturers have struts with this "feature"?

Hani

Established Member
05-10 Koni struts are shorter than the 11-14 Koni's by 1/4" as far as I remember.

People use the 05-10 struts in the 11-14 cars in order to use the GT500 strut mounts which are better than the factory ones on the 11-14 cars.

AKDMB

Established Member
Pretty sure all 05-10 struts are shorter, but I can't confirm this for sure.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
Pretty sure all 05-10 struts are shorter, but I can't confirm this for sure.

The spring is what determines the height of the car, a shorter strut wouldn't. Now a strut that has a lower spring perch (IE the spring sits lower) would. Koni's have a lower spring perch than most other brands, which makes the front of the car sit a little lower than advertised with most aftermarket springs.

khaine14.jpg

khaine15.jpg

You can see some of the rake from the second pic... This is on BMR springs and Koni Yellows.

Last edited:

zw470

Established Member
Yeah the additional rake is what I want to avoid :nonono: Does this affect only the 05-10 or the 11-14s as well? What about Yellows vs Oranges?

JTS_7

Established Member
BMR Drag springs will give you a slight raked look no matter what, not sure about their handling springs. Slightly more rake if you use 05-10 struts( orange or yellow) with gt500 mounts on a 11-14 car as the front will sit lower.

If you use 11-14 orange or yellows using stock 11-14 mount with lets say Eibach Sportlines the car should sit pretty much level all the way around.

I did not notice my car sitting any lower in the front with Koni yellows vs a stock strut, both using BMR drag springs.

Last edited:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I'll add the obligatory, if you 11-14 struts and reuse your stock mounts be very careful with them as they separate easily and send bearings everywhere.

zw470

Established Member
Based an you guys' help I'm pretty sure I'll Be going with the 11-14 Koni Oranges, H&R Super Sport springs, a BMR adj panhard bar and some kind of camber plates. Any particular reason you recommend those brands over others?

Users who are viewing this thread