KOOKS Headers on an 03????

are the gains worth the trouble as far as power & sound?

• hell yeah!!

Votes: 215 74.1%
  • hell no!!

Votes: 75 25.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nothing

nothing
Established Member
ok guys with the kooks headers...how difficult are these to install?
they claim they are much easier to install than typical 1 piece headers, my understanding is that they are in 5 pieces? and you put them back together in the collector, is this accurate and if so any problems with leaking?

no dropping the k-member or jacking the motor?

how much horsepower are these or any header good for?
how much of a sound difference should i expect.

anyone have pics of their installs?

Last edited:

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
I haven't put them in, but have read extensively on here about them and they seem to be way better than one piece headers. As far as leaking I think the on problem spot is on the passenger side rear is kinda hard to get sealed up thats all. The collectors are a slip fit style that clamp around the tubes at the base of them. Also you don't have to raise the motor or anything of that nature. Sound difference to say they will hear you comin' no doubt about that. Use the search button and that should get you going in the right direction. Otherwise bassini will kill you J/K lol

KosherCobra

Established Member
I have the BIG Kooks headers with the 3" collector. With mine I had to get a new adjustable steering shaft Mine went in from the bottom with the K-member out (As well as the motor)!!!

Check my sig, I have photos

nothing

nothing
Established Member
come on guys dont just vote....give me some details i am planning on ordering exhaust monday

KosherCobra

Established Member
I heard that the Bassani mid length work well. Probably easier to install than the long tubes. Stay away from the shorites, they are developing cracks on the welds when merging to the collector.

Can't go wrong with the Kook LT. If you lower your car go mid length.

fubu795

Banned
My buddy has Kooks long tubes, X-pipe, flowmaster 3 inch cat-back. His exhaust HANDS DOWN is the absolute loudest cobra I've ever heard. My MAC is damn close but his shit is amazing how loud it is! Guess thats what 620 RWHP and 670 RWTQ will do :) :)

King03Cobra

Established Member
I had mine installed at a shop so I don't know how hard they are to put in. The sound is outrageous, you will like them.

cobrabruce

Established Member
I put these headers on both my '99 and '03 (1 5/8" tubes, 2 1/2" exhaust). I did the '99 without dropping the K-frame. The drivers side wasn't too bad but the passenger side sucked big time. When i did the '03 I dropped the K-frame and kicked myself in the behind for not dropping it on the '99. The install went much quicker with a lot less swearing and loss of blood.

Couple of hints,
If you're getting the coated headers check to see if the coating "pooled" around the exhaust port flanges. If it is then file it down smooth and clean the debris out of the tubes. I blew mine out with compressed air, flushed them out with a garden hose, then dried them by blowing out with compressed air and letting them sit out in the sun for a couple hours. If I ever do this again I'll get the stainless steel headers.

You will never get the headers on with the starter bolted up and you will never get the starter on with the headers in place. Remove the starter, get the front two tubes hung but do not tighten, install the starter, then install the last two header tubes. Put some type of heat shield on the starter before you install the last two tubes. I used part # 14150 by Thermo Tec. It's simply a blanket that wraps around the starter. I think I got it from Jeg's. Cheap insurance for the starter. You will not want to replace it after the headers are on.

Before you drop the K-frame, (if you do), use a straight edge and get a measurement for how high the engine sits in the car. Then with the headers bolted up snug but not tight, install your X or H pipe onto the collectors and check to see if everything clears the floor boards. With the tubes a little loose you will be able to move the pipe up or down a fair amount and get the maximum amount of ground clearance. Much easier to do with the K-frame still out but you must have the engine oriented correctly, hence the measurement.

Some people claim this job can be done in like 6 hours. They have a lift, help, and a lot more tools than you or I. Expect it to take at least 10 hours if you are alone and laying on your back.

A good set of metric ratchet wrenches will make the job easier.

Some people claim you need to remove the dip stick tube. I did not.

No problem with leaks on either of my cars.

I hope I haven't discouraged you too much. I'm over 6 feet with fairly big hands and had a hell of a time reaching some of the bolts with the K-frame in place. If you or a buddy have small hands then leaving the K-frame up may be the way to go.

BCM

Established Member
One bad isssue with long tubes is that over time the joints WILL bond together, and if you ever have to do a clutch or anything with the tranny, the long tubes will be in the way. Mid-lengths or shorties would be my choice.

cobrabruce

Established Member
One bad isssue with long tubes is that over time the joints WILL bond together, and if you ever have to do a clutch or anything with the tranny, the long tubes will be in the way.
I thought that one of the advantages of Kooks headers besides being easier to install with the individual tubes was they were designed so there would be enough clearance do a clutch job without removing them.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Does Anybody with LT's Know?

I have not seen anyone with long tubes post before and after numbers. If I add more boost, either with a different blower or pulley(s), I will be considering long tubes next. Just curious if anyone has before and after HP and TQ numbers.

mkiley

i just got my stainless jdm/ kooks in. havent installed yet. 450+ rwhp cars cant go wrong w/ longtubes. id have them over shorty or mid lengths any day.

predator

Established Member
I just installed my large tube LTs, but did it while installing my MM K-member and the rest of the front suspension. It was still a challenge because each tube had to go on in a specific order to be able to get at all the bolts. On the driver's side I replaced the steering shaft so that was another factor. I could not imagine doing it with a K-member and everything else in place!

I will try to oblige you curious number seekers on the gains from stock exhaust to LTs......but I plan to also have a 3"-back exhaust connected too.

03BLKSNAKE

Established Member
I went with Bassani Mid Length, dropped K-member for installation. That is what I would vote for if it were an option above. But headers? Hell YES!!!!

nothing

nothing
Established Member
does anyone have a copy of the instructions that come with the jdm/kooks LTs that can send tem to me to look at?

thanks

OATS

Established Member
Instructions? Mine didn't come with any. Very tough install unless you drop the K and/or jack up the motor. Even then it is not easy. I wouldn't separate the tubes, I would install them as one piece. I have heard lining up all of the primaries and stuffing them into the collector can get tricky. Good luck.

nothing

nothing
Established Member
Originally posted by OATS
Instructions? Mine didn't come with any. Very tough install unless you drop the K and/or jack up the motor. Even then it is not easy. I wouldn't separate the tubes, I would install them as one piece. I have heard lining up all of the primaries and stuffing them into the collector can get tricky. Good luck.

according to the JDM website...

"Installation takes about 8 hours and requires simple hand tools. We provide complete, illustrated installation instructions so, even if you've never done it before, you can install this product with complete confidence"

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
A friend of mine had them on his KB cobra with offroad h pipe and maggie catback.
His car was obnoxiously, "hey officer arrest me" loud. Sounded mean as hell though.

nothing

nothing
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
A friend of mine had them on his KB cobra with offroad h pipe and maggie catback.
His car was obnoxiously, "hey officer arrest me" loud. Sounded mean as hell though.

i am most likely going to keep the cats

OATS

Established Member
Arrest me loud is exactly right! I had an OR/X and a Maggie system.....very loud. I would probably go with a catted h-pipe next time when doing LTs, as my system was pretty raspy in addition to the volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread