Kooks Longtubes w/ Catted X Setups

paulyboy928

Established Member
Haven't been able to find what i'm looking for so figured I'd make a new thread.

Who on here is running Kooks LT's with a catted x-pipe? Doesn't seem that many people run this but maybe I'm wrong.

Just trying to get some ideas so post away!

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I plan on going this route, but have some thoughts on the Kooks headers...

We installed a set of 1 3/4 on a buddy's 16' GT over the weekend and I must say that I'm impressed with the fit and finish of these headers.

1. It's tight as hell in a 16'. Even more so than the 11-14. Kooks mounting points are all open at the end, which allowed us to use the studs instead of installing the stage 8 bolts that came with it. Why is this interesting? Because, the studs and nuts have an extra level of resistance on the threads, where as, even though you have the extra lock washer on the bolts, I've had stage 8's back out ever so slightly and give me exhaust leaks.

2. The kit came with everything we needed and fit perfectly. Cleared everything really well and really wasn't too horrific to install. We found uninstalling and re-installing the motor mounts to reach both top and bottom bolts made a huge difference in ease and time to install.

3. They look sharp and feel how they cost, expensive.

We had a lift and it took 8 hours on the 16'. I suspect it would be similar on an 11-14 for the install, but the sound is really good. I am planning on going this route as part of my build as well.

paulyboy928

Established Member
I plan on going this route, but have some thoughts on the Kooks headers...

We installed a set of 1 3/4 on a buddy's 16' GT over the weekend and I must say that I'm impressed with the fit and finish of these headers.

1. It's tight as hell in a 16'. Even more so than the 11-14. Kooks mounting points are all open at the end, which allowed us to use the studs instead of installing the stage 8 bolts that came with it. Why is this interesting? Because, the studs and nuts have an extra level of resistance on the threads, where as, even though you have the extra lock washer on the bolts, I've had stage 8's back out ever so slightly and give me exhaust leaks.

2. The kit came with everything we needed and fit perfectly. Cleared everything really well and really wasn't too horrific to install. We found uninstalling and re-installing the motor mounts to reach both top and bottom bolts made a huge difference in ease and time to install.

3. They look sharp and feel how they cost, expensive.

We had a lift and it took 8 hours on the 16'. I suspect it would be similar on an 11-14 for the install, but the sound is really good. I am planning on going this route as part of my build as well.
Good info to know!

I wonder how the kooks axle backs sound and if they drone with the LTs, catted x and stock oaps

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
2011 - Kooks 1 3/4" with " green " catted X pipe & stock mufflers.

2014 - Kooks 1 7/8" with " green " catted X pipe & stock mufflers.

I run Kooks because their " green " cats will pass N.J. inspection.

fishpick

Established Member
@1 Alibi 2 - i was looking at these (in NY)- do you know what's the actual difference between the high flow and the "green" high flow... aside from marketing?

Users who are viewing this thread