Kumho V710 tread splitting

nightstalker865

Established Member
I know alot of you have had this very same issue. Has anyone heard of one letting go? I bought these used so I can't really just go back to tire rack and tell them to replace them. I have sent an email to Kumho with no reply. I doubt I will make anymore track events this year, but I do plan on making several more autox's. I think this would be alot easier on the tires since I would not be putting near the heat in it as OT. I have two of them that are split in a perfect line right across the tire. Looks like it's where the mold comes together. I am not getting any bubbling or odd wear just this split. Do you guys think they will hold together?

Eric

Cobra122

Established Member
Eric,

One of my V710's split the same way after only 7 laps @ Road Atlanta. I took pics. of the tire and sent them over to Tire Rack. Tire Rack replaced the tire and heat cycled it as well, no additional charge. Maybe you could have the person you bought the tires from submit the pic. of the split tire to Tire Rack? Tire Rack may replace it for you since Kumho is having so many issues with them.

Mike

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra122 said:
Eric,

One of my V710's split the same way after only 7 laps @ Road Atlanta. I took pics. of the tire and sent them over to Tire Rack. Tire Rack replaced the tire and heat cycled it as well, no additional charge. Maybe you could have the person you bought the tires from submit the pic. of the split tire to Tire Rack? Tire Rack may replace it for you since Kumho is having so many issues with them.

Mike

Mike:

I'm not sure when you did that but the first time it happend to me Tire-Rack took care of me as well. But then it kept happening to me and the more it happened the harder it was to get anyone to do anything about it. I just gave up on those shitty Kumho tires. I don't care how good of a grip they had.

I've switched to the Nitto NT-01's and I have been very happy with them. They grip reasonably well and last a long time!

FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Cobra122

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Mike:

I'm not sure when you did that but the first time it happend to me Tire-Rack took care of me as well. But then it kept happening to me and the more it happened the harder it was to get anyone to do anything about it. I just gave up on those shitty Kumho tires. I don't care how good of a grip they had.

I've switched to the Nitto NT-01's and I have been very happy with them. They grip reasonably well and last a long time!

FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

The tire failed during the Panoz track day @ Road Atlanta on May 6th. I received the new V710 yesterday, just in time for the SVTOA event @ Talladega tomorrow, 05/19/07.

I may switch as well if I have any more issues with the V710's, I do like the grip! I was hoping Kumho would have corrected the problem by now.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra122 said:
The tire failed during the Panoz track day @ Road Atlanta on May 6th. I received the new V710 yesterday, just in time for the SVTOA event @ Talladega tomorrow, 05/19/07.

I may switch as well if I have any more issues with the V710's, I do like the grip! I was hoping Kumho would have corrected the problem by now.

What I found is the harder the tire is pushed the more likely it is to fail. For example a Kumho at Gingerman is likely to fail with an intermediate driver. It's impossible to make it fail at a track like VIR that's easy on tires.

I saw a guy almost completely separate the tread on a V-710 at Road America in April pushing the crap out of his car in the "cheese grater" um.......... excuse me, the Carousel.

I'm done with Kumho! :fart:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I don't get it.. I literally beat the snot out of these tires, and have never seen a split or experienced one myself. I must be on my 6th or 7th set. Anyone that saw me drive at Summit Shen two weeks ago with SVTOA knows I'm not easy on tires at all. Maybe I'm just getting the luck of the draw?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TroyV said:
I don't get it.. I literally beat the snot out of these tires, and have never seen a split or experienced one myself. I must be on my 6th or 7th set. Anyone that saw me drive at Summit Shen two weeks ago with SVTOA knows I'm not easy on tires at all. Maybe I'm just getting the luck of the draw?

I did have a few of them that didn't separate! :dw:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I was doing a search on google and came across this thread. I just had 3 tires give out at Summit Shen, with SCMC, 3 weeks ago. I was using the V700s. I bought the tires off Ebay and chalked it up to having an old batch. Then last weekend at Summit with NASA a friend of mine had a brand new set of V710s develop a slice/seperation on a few of his brand new tires. I was also running a brand new set of V710s, but did not check mine yet. As soon as I was done racing TT my fabricator hooked my trailer to his truck and took the car to his shop for a cage. I was not aware of this problem with the Kumhos. I had to go 5 pages into the search to find any issues, then the next was at the ninth page. I sure hope my new tires are good. Wish i had of seen this issue before.

David Hester

Established Member
When I was just doing time trials, I ran Kumho's all the time-Ectas and Victoracers. 8 years, probably 15-16 sets. Had 3 sets split where they band terad together-thought I had run over a grating or something sharp. After I had 2 out 3 sets do it, I switched to Hoosiers.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I had wanted to buy Hankooks, but Tire Rack was out. Of course they have them 2 weeks later.

Why would Tire Rack even sell the Kumhos if this has been a long standing problem?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Doug, gonna have Carlos check them for you?
Maybe TireRack thought the problems from 2007 had been solved. There must have been some good ones between now and then. :shrug:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I couldnt justify the price of the kumhos, may as well have bought hoosiers for what the V710s now cost. Then I read that they are STILL having QC issues. Im done with Kumho. For that money Id rather buy Hoosiers that are fast as hell and wear like theyre made out of warm butter.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Must be the size you are using. I save $300 over what the Hoosiers would have cost me and saved $400 over buying from the NASA prefered vendor to qualify for the free tire if I got first place. I figures that I got 1st and with the number of racers I could have had 2 free tires.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
275/40r17s on all four.

$288 each for the V710s from Tirerack or $294 for the Hoosiers plus shipping. I chose neither.

Users who are viewing this thread