L&M throttle body results

Joshua484

Established Member
I'd believe it on a pullied GT500 where inlet restrictions matter more.
Less inlet restriction means more RWHP.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
If it really makes that much HP. Then why not have a independent test done ? BBK did at MMFF mag. Now everyone knows what there getting and how much HP a BBK T/body makes. Because as you can see most don't believe this test. I don't and never will till some unbiased testing is done.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
if it really makes that much hp. Then why not have a independent test done ? Bbk did at mmff mag. Now everyone knows what there getting and how much hp a bbk t/body makes. Because as you can see most don't believe this test. I don't and never will till some unbiased testing is done.

+1

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd believe it on a Whipple/KB car or at least one with an upper and lower pulley GT500 where inlet restrictions matter more.
Less inlet restriction means more RWHP.

Fixed

hydro

Established Member
L&M TB Test Article by MM&FF Magazine

If it really makes that much HP. Then why not have a independent test done ? BBK did at MMFF mag. Now everyone knows what there getting and how much HP a BBK T/body makes. Because as you can see most don't believe this test. I don't and never will till some unbiased testing is done.

Unbiased testing was done L&M 66MM TB & L&M 72MM TB's compared to the CJ 65MM TB about two weeks ago by MM&FF Magazine.When the Mag is available the results are for all to see.The superchager used was the 2.9 Whipple with Crusher Intake.Car supplied by Downs Ford Motorsports.The CJ 65MM TB was about 20rwhp over the Stock TB read what the L&M vs the CJ 65 results were.Regardless what others may say what was also found was that "No Tune Was Needed".hydro

Last edited:

kent1

Established Member
Unbiased testing was done L&M 66MM TB & L&M 72MM TB's compared to the CJ 65MM TB about two weeks ago by MM&FF Magazine.When the Mag is available the results are for all to see.The superchager used was the 2.9 Whipple with Crusher Intake.Car supplied by Downs Ford Motorsports.The CJ 65MM TB was about 20rwhp over the Stock TB read what the L&M vs the CJ 65 results were.Regardless what others may say what was found was that "No Tune Was Needed".hydro

What are performance mods to your car if you don't mind! Your assistance is appreciated.

hydro

Established Member
What are performance mods to your car if you don't mind! Your assistance is appreciated.

My Mods as follows:
2007 Shelby GT500, Blueprinted Aluminum Ford GT Block,Diamond Pistons,Custom Cams,Beehive valve springs,Titanium Retainers,CNC'd ported Heads,Manley Pro I Beam rods,Lowered rear 1.5",Panhard Bar,Whipple 123mm CAI, L&M High flow Plenum & L&M High Flow 72MM Throttle Body,80lb injectors,upper 2.6 and lower 10% Pulley,ARH Long Tubes no cats,Borla Mufflers,3.73,305-18-35 M/T drag radials,UCA,LCA,Dynotech DR,AFCO Heat Exchanger,Large 96 Oz Capacity S/C Intercooler Tank,Self ported TVS S/C,Homelink,HID Headlights.Car has not yet been Dynoed with this new combination.hydro

Last edited:

GreggsSVT

Established Member
That's very impressive. I'm surprised it was so much. I've read around 20rwhp or so, but 50? WOW! Anyone else have some other numbers that corroborate these gains? If so, I'm definitely putting this on my wish list.

I got 20whp with TB & elbow. IMO I guess it all depends how you strap the car down on the dyno.

ytix

Banned
hydro, where have you been? 2010 Grabber Blue Shelby , Bloomy63, fasteddy and BEEKAY GT500 have posted L&M related problems with their tunes to the following thread over at TS:
teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58925-throttle-issue/

Even chief L&M zombie 68fastback has softened his 'no tune needed' mantra.

sprint200

Established Member
hydro, where have you been? 2010 Grabber Blue Shelby , Bloomy63, fasteddy and BEEKAY GT500 have posted L&M related problems with their tunes to the following thread over at TS:
teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58925-throttle-issue/

Even chief L&M zombie 68fastback has softened his 'no tune needed' mantra.

As an experiment, I borrowed an L&M TB for the Mid-America Meet last month to see what difference it would make, SOTP-wise, on a car with my set-up. I have a 2007 GT500 with a ported OE blower and elbow, 2.65" upper pulley, C&L CAI, VMP 91 oct tune, Lethal O/R x-pipe, & a 3.73 TruTrac.

I installed the TB and the car would run okay at WOT, but as soon as it went to idle speed or I tried low speed (parking lot) maneuvers it would go into limp mode. The 2007 tunes had very tight parameters for the TB positioning and the difference in the amount of air flow vs. rpm vs. fuel input was all screwed up. Had to call Lund and cut/paste that section of the tune into mine just to get the car to run properly. I was still never happy about how slowly it returned to idle speeds after lifting off the peddle.

So the "No Tune Needed" sh*t is just that.....SH*T!

That being said, I saw 3 psi more boost than with the stock TB! So I am not nearly as skeptical about the OP's claims. As others have said, it just depends on how restricted the system is to begin with.:beer:

tktlwyr

Established Member
The problem is that even with the tuner making no throttle body related changes, the base SCT software does. I had issues with my '10, but as soon as we changed the throttle body parameters to stock Ford per BlackShelby's recommendation, the problems went away.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
As an experiment, I borrowed an L&M TB for the Mid-America Meet last month to see what difference it would make, SOTP-wise, on a car with my set-up. I have a 2007 GT500 with a ported OE blower and elbow, 2.65" upper pulley, C&L CAI, VMP 91 oct tune, Lethal O/R x-pipe, & a 3.73 TruTrac.

I installed the TB and the car would run okay at WOT, but as soon as it went to idle speed or I tried low speed (parking lot) maneuvers it would go into limp mode. The 2007 tunes had very tight parameters for the TB positioning and the difference in the amount of air flow vs. rpm vs. fuel input was all screwed up. Had to call Lund and cut/paste that section of the tune into mine just to get the car to run properly. I was still never happy about how slowly it returned to idle speeds after lifting off the peddle.

So the "No Tune Needed" sh*t is just that.....SH*T!

That being said, I saw 3 psi more boost than with the stock TB! So I am not nearly as skeptical about the OP's claims. As others have said, it just depends on how restricted the system is to begin with.:beer:

I've been there, done that with the L&M. I run one and it does give me about 13-15 rwhp on a good day with the L&M plenum and we reamed the blower inlet.

As for the tune. I have NO idea what cars they're running these on, but in my particular case it was fine WOT, but hunted like Elmer Fudd when it idled.

Mine definitely needed dashpot adjustment plus I had to jack around with the voltage to get it right. Had to do the same thing when I pulled the battery a couple of times, even though the same performance tune was reloaded.

There clearly must be some cars that have a wider parameter for self adjustment. Mine isn't one of them.

I wouldn't fail to recommend the throttle body, but I'd take the claims of "no tune needed" with a grain of salt. Buy it for the performance, not the claim.

bj

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
So Jeff, as soon as you removed the L&M and put your original TB back on did those issues go away?

Tob

sprint200

Established Member
So Jeff, as soon as you removed the L&M and put your original TB back on did those issues go away?

Tob

Tob,

Yeah, I put the OE TB back on and the VMP tune back in and everything was back to normal.............oh, and that extra horsepower was gone too:whine:

which is why I had been thinking about that CJ65 TB (which would also require a modification to the tune for the same reasons).

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I got a pretty good price quoted to me on the 725hp Whipple/FRPP kit btw...:banana:

kent1

Established Member
My Mods as follows:
2007 Shelby GT500, Blueprinted Aluminum Ford GT Block,Diamond Pistons,Custom Cams,Beehive valve springs,Titanium Retainers,CNC'd ported Heads,Manley Pro I Beam rods,Lowered rear 1.5",Panhard Bar,Whipple 123mm CAI, L&M High flow Plenum & L&M High Flow 72MM Throttle Body,80lb injectors,upper 2.6 and lower 10% Pulley,ARH Long Tubes no cats,Borla Mufflers,3.73,305-18-35 M/T drag radials,UCA,LCA,Dynotech DR,AFCO Heat Exchanger,Large 96 Oz Capacity S/C Intercooler Tank,Self ported TVS S/C,Homelink,HID Headlights.Car has not yet been Dynoed with this new combination.hydro

Nice setup indeed. Thanks for the info.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
well i can say one thing that the CJ 63.5mm on my setup did not need a retune. but that may be do to the TB calibration still being ford stock. there was a def. SOTP feel. but im sure its not as much as the L&M with a retune

Seahorse

Established Member
While I got nowhere near the gains some have said they've seen, I can honestly say my L&M runs perfectly without a re-tune. Now I have just a mild stage II setup, so no surprise really in not seeing huge gains, but again it does at least run fine on the stock TB parameters.

Users who are viewing this thread