labor for header 10 hours!!!!!

tonythetiger

Established Member
does this sound right 10 hours to install headers thats what the local shop said. They said that the whole motor has to come out pretty much is that true or is this a job i can do in the drive way and save $600

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Depending on the shop doing the work it can take anywhere from 6-10 hours. I usually can do them between 6 and 7. If you plan on doing it yourself it will take you 15+ most likely.

I do alot of Modular 4.6 work on the side and i charge around $250-$300 to do it. Depending on the situation.

The motor doesnt have to come out, but the K member does have to be removed and the motor has to be suspended somehow.

Dave

kxorcist

I just finished doing this in my driveway, I didn't take out the k-member, but the motor does need to be jacked up. You have to remove the starter, motor mounts, remove the pinch bolt for the steering shaft and slide it up. It's a real job I'm tellin' ya.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by kxorcist
I just finished doing this in my driveway, I didn't take out the k-member, but the motor does need to be jacked up. You have to remove the starter, motor mounts, remove the pinch bolt for the steering shaft and slide it up. It's a real job I'm tellin' ya.

You can do it the way you did. i have done it like that and it SUCKS. Its MUCH easier to drop the K memeber. I bet you have alot of busted knuckles lol.

kxorcist

And scrapes and bruises and cuts. It's a real PIA, I hope to not have to do it again anytime soon. lol. And mine was a 2V to boot.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
And scrapes and bruises and cuts. It's a real PIA, I hope to not have to do it again anytime soon. lol. And mine was a 2V to boot.

Exactly the reason why i drop the K ;-)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Okay Dave, now after reading this thread you know, of course, that if I still had my Cobra I'd be asking you to install headers. :)

How have ya been?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Juiced46: Next time around I'm in your camp.

tonythetiger: http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml

The link details a K-member drop install on an '01 Bullitt. It definitely gives you a feel for what's involved.

Thats a very good detailed writeup. The only thing i do different is i do not jack up from the oil pan to support the motor like they did. I Jack up at the most forwardest (dont even know if thats a word) part of the transmission. Id be afraid to dent the pan, its only thin metal.

It also helps to have an extra set of hands when dropping the K. I usually have one person man the jack, and one person on each side of the K balancing it while its being lowered down.

Bob ive been good. Been really busy between my regular job and workin on cars @ the shop. Winter is almost here so it will be break time for that and to start saving for my next set of mods ;) You should swing by one night.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
My GAWD!!! I would pay $600 in a heartbeat to avoid all that!! That is as long as I was comfortable with the shop I hired to do the right job. And what was that big dent in one of the tubes? Is that for clearance for a control arm?

I have a question for Juiced...if you have to go to all the work of dropping the K member, couldn't you just drop the entire engine instead, bolt the headers on, and slide everything back into place as one unit? I've seen guys drop the entire assy pretty quick. Seems to me that that might be the way to go if you can get it back in with the headers attached. And also...do the Bassani mid-lengths go in any easier?

King03Cobra

Established Member
It took all day for the shop to install my LT's and they did drop the K-member to do it. They actually got the headers in pretty quick, but they had to do a lot of welding in the mid-pipe section but everything turned out real nice.

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
We did this on a lift, and left the K member in, and it took like 10 hours and a full case of beer (Pry could have taken less time if we didn't drink the full case) but it's a real PIA. Unless you have a lift, I wouldn't attempt it in the drive way.. it would think that would take like a week..

RGrossman

Established Member
I have done this install 6 times on several different cars. I always drop the kmember and put a long piece of wood under the oil pan and extend it onto the tranny and put a jack under it. Works fine. Doesnt dent the oil pan at all.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
yeah i did it in my driveway. they say the design of the JDM/kooks long tubes with the individual tubes was so that you dont have to drop the kmember, once i saw how little space there was that kmember got unbolted real quick. took about 8 hours in the driveway with some extra hands. could definitely do it quicker the 2nd time around.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by FireRed04Vert
My GAWD!!! I would pay $600 in a heartbeat to avoid all that!! That is as long as I was comfortable with the shop I hired to do the right job. And what was that big dent in one of the tubes? Is that for clearance for a control arm?

I have a question for Juiced...if you have to go to all the work of dropping the K member, couldn't you just drop the entire engine instead, bolt the headers on, and slide everything back into place as one unit? I've seen guys drop the entire assy pretty quick. Seems to me that that might be the way to go if you can get it back in with the headers attached. And also...do the Bassani mid-lengths go in any easier?

The big dent is supposed to be there depending on the brand header. It is for the steering shaft to clear it, usually BBK headers have them on there. Mid lengths dont because they wrap around teh steering shaft.

It would be more work to drop the engine. You would need to drain the fluids. Coolant hoses, fuel lines, disconnect alot of stuff. And you would still need to drop the k member anyway. So doing it like that is actually more work. Its only 2 nuts to disconnect the motor mounts from the K and 4 bolts on each side and the K comes out.

It only take about 45mins to an hour to drop the K. Its not hard at all once you've done it a few times. I have done about 10 LT midlength swaps al dropping the K. Ive done an LT install on my personal car, my 96 GT with the K in and jacking the motor up, ill never do it like that again.

Last edited:

Tide612

Banned
i didnt want the headeache so i had a shop do it. It took them 13 hours to do it and i wa there first time. They charged me 800 to do it. That cost more than the bassani headers that i bought. YA for 1400 dollars i would not put headers in again. I would apply the money towards say the KB that i am still saving for.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by Tide612
i didnt want the headeache so i had a shop do it. It took them 13 hours to do it and i wa there first time. They charged me 800 to do it. That cost more than the bassani headers that i bought. YA for 1400 dollars i would not put headers in again. I would apply the money towards say the KB that i am still saving for.

God damn. i guess im undercharging alot! Well i guess that happens when you go to a shop that hasnt done it before. Someone that knows what they are doing should be able to do it in 6-7 hours. If they have a lift even quicker.

Eagle

Established Member
My buddy and Installed his headers and dynoed it the next day, he only gained like 3-8 rwhp. That sucked, 2 days to install the headers and such a small gain.

Users who are viewing this thread