Lamotta Performance > Coastal Dyno

davbrucas

Banned
At least Jakes prices are better than Sams. To change my clutch, FW, TOB, retainer, and cooling mod Coastal wanted $460 ($~500 with tax). Lamotta quoted me $385 (~$410 with tax). both are two hours away. Easy choice. When asked why he was almost $100 more than Lamotta, Coasal stated that that was just their price and and they were booked for 3wks. I said fair enough. They just wont be getting my business. :pepper:

I hope I wont regret that $90! :D

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
davbrucas said:
When asked why he was almost $100 more than Lamotta, Coastal stated that that was just their price and and they were booked for 3wks. I said fair enough. They just wont be getting my business. :pepper:

Just wait and see what he charges people that went elsewhere and then want him to fix it :poke:

Gxsa140

Established Member
I would never allow Jake to touch my car..............! Lowest bidder isn't always the best bet.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
Lamotta has always done fabulous work for me. That's where I'm going as soon as my DFX 26 spline combo kit gets here from LFP.

davbrucas

Banned
a clutch swap is a straight-forward job...just time consuming doing it on jack stands. i would do it if i had the time. please explain why you wouldnt let jake touch your car? things you heard or things you have seen?

davbrucas

Banned
vetkilr said:
Just wait and see what he charges people that went elsewhere and then want him to fix it :poke:

so you think that $500 is fair for what i am having done? :bored:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I don't know Jake.. But I do know Sam, and I would trust him with my 16yr old daughter.. :-D Well maybe not with my daughter.. :D :D

But Sam is the one stop shop where you never have to guess whether the job will be done right the first time.. You get what you pay for and SAMs work is definately worth the extra change...Jared

Friendchicken

I have heard good things about Lamotta, and clutch/TOB is pretty basic work in the whole scheme of things..

How about I rotate your tires for $50? Sure the guy down the street will do it for $35, but I am VERY good at it.

davbrucas

Banned
98kobra said:
I have heard good things about Lamotta, and clutch/TOB is pretty basic work in the whole scheme of things..

How about I rotate your tires for $50? Sure the guy down the street will do it for $35, but I am VERY good at it.

deal...i am sure that since you are a nice guy it will be worth it... :eek:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I have had friends that have had work done at lamottas. They swear by jake and Jay.

However, I have read good things about sams. But since I am a 15 minute drive from lamotta's they will get my service.

Just because you've had service done by sam's doesn't give you a reason to say a stupid thing like that GSXA140. If you have a valid reason for saying that then please speak.

If not shut the hell up.

csumt76

Established Member
Clutch/TOB is just basic work... Just wait until the shop you go to doesn't get the clutch disc centered in the pressure plate and they tighten the plate until the fingers "look" even..... There are plenty of ways to fubar a clutch install.

davbrucas

Banned
csumt76 said:
Clutch/TOB is just basic work... Just wait until the shop you go to doesn't get the clutch disc centered in the pressure plate and they tighten the plate until the fingers "look" even..... There are plenty of ways to fubar a clutch install.

not likely to happen. thats what the alignment tool is for. and i am sure that this isnt jake lamottas first rodeo. good grief people...you guys always looking for an argument? :cuss: :shrug:

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
If I was in Tampa, I'd go to Coastal. But, since I'm closer to Lamotta's...that's where I go.

Between those two shops, it's not a question of who's better. It's a question of whose closer and who charges less. You'll get the same quality of work from both. Top notch.

davbrucas

Banned
StngStr said:
If I was in Tampa, I'd go to Coastal. But, since I'm closer to Lamotta's...that's where I go.

Between those two shops, it's not a question of who's better. It's a question of whose closer and who charges less. You'll get the same quality of work from both. Top notch.

amen...that was the purpose of this thread...both are ~2hrs from me and since gas is $2.91 a gallon, i need the shop that charges the least! :)

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Sounds like a small price difference to me, pissed more than that away a couple dozen times over. Also not a good idea to bag on a place because they are busy or are a bit high. More than one time the higher priced place was worth driving farther and paying more. I am speaking of personal experience. Now you FL boys are gonna have to decide which shops prosper and which ones die. Neither of these two have had much negative if any at all bad said about them. Burning bridges and all, not wise.
I know of some horrifically scummy deadbeat shops that are not worth doing any business with, supposed good reputation and all. I also know of others who are little known but solid gold for true service and ability.

Moral:Beat on the deadbeats till they are bankrupt, don't beat on any shop you are not sure are deadbeats because you may need them, support the shops that are proven gold

Last edited:

davbrucas

Banned
nobody ever called coastal a deadbeat. i am sure that they are a great shop and do quality work, but i have heard the same about lamotta as well. $90 is a lot to me. i told him that he was $100 higher and he didnt seem interested in matching the price. thats fine by me. its his business, but i will take mine elsewhere. i guess that is my peroggative eh? :) this is not a thread to bash coastal. just giving others a heads up about the pricing difference. everyone talks up coastal on here, so he is busy and doesnt have to budge on his pricing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry, but posting a "heads up" price difference for one job doesn't mean much IMO. It does, though, somewhat casts a shadow over the shop by implying they are interesting in working with the customer. No two shops are going to have identical pricing, and you have to look at the bigger picture like Postban alluded to. Service. Quality of work. Warrantee. Post-service care. Yadda. Yadda. It's old news if a shop doesn't reduce their pricing to match the competition. Happens every day but we don't post it here. Whether he is busy or not busy may not even play into it. I never shop for price, and I'm not a rich person. Service, quality of work, customer care. and availability are just as important to me as the price of the job, if not more so. I'm not defending one or both of these shops. Just pointing out why one or both might not adjust their prices and why price isn't always paramount.
:shrug:

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
davbrucas said:
At least Jakes prices are better than Sams. To change my clutch, FW, TOB, retainer, and cooling mod Coastal wanted $460 ($~500 with tax). Lamotta quoted me $385 (~$410 with tax). both are two hours away. Easy choice. When asked why he was almost $100 more than Lamotta, Coasal stated that that was just their price and and they were booked for 3wks. I said fair enough. They just wont be getting my business. :pepper:

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

postban said:
Sounds like a small price difference to me, pissed more than that away a couple dozen times over. Also not a good idea to bag on a place because they are busy or are a bit high. More than one time the higher priced place was worth driving farther and paying more. I am speaking of personal experience. Now you FL boys are gonna have to decide which shops prosper and which ones die. Neither of these two have had much negative if any at all bad said about them. Burning bridges and all, not wise.
I know of some horrifically scummy deadbeat shops that are not worth doing any business with, supposed good reputation and all. I also know of others who are little known but solid gold for true service and ability.

Moral:Beat on the deadbeats till they are bankrupt, don't beat on any shop you are not sure are deadbeats because you may need them, support the shops that are proven gold

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

davbrucas said:
everyone talks up coastal on here, so he is busy and doesnt have to budge on his pricing.

That should tell you something right there......Coastal is worth the wait!

davbrucas

Banned
you guys and your blind loyalty amaze me. what makes you think that lamotta cannot produce the same "Service. Quality of work. Warrantee. Post-service care. Yadda. Yadda?" it is pretty simple...if gas is $4 a gallon on one corner and $2.00 on another, are you gonna go to the $4/gal store just because your buddy works there and is a nice guy? it is great that you are defending Coastal. but you have no reason to defend him. they do all you have said and then some, but there is no reason to pay $90 more for the same service when they are both the same distance from my house. this is the only time i would even use a performance shop as i usually do all my own work...but i just do not have the time this month or next to get it done...taking call every 2 days with one day off per week is kicking my ass! :)

Users who are viewing this thread