LANCER EVO. TRIED ME..

TURTLE

Established Member
So what a way to start my day. I am sitting at a light when i see this Damn Lancer Evo. I have heard about this matchbox, but till this morning never run one. Let me start by saying i am bone stock. Of course we get the light and i hear him getting ready to launch his $h!t. So dumb butt me I am like screw it and just decide to roll out instead of launchin it. Little did i know He has exhaust and def. a chip at the least. He jumps out a car on me and i am like what the $h!t. I could hear him changin gears and with each shift he is puffin black smoke. I started runnin him down and he lets out at 60mph. I just got into 2nd and was ready for the bye bye wave when he lets out of it. He knew what was coming. Anyhow I will def. give him the get go he got me good, but our cars pull alot harder then those evo's. I usually see the same cars on the way to work and am likely to run this thing again. I know its always a next time, but nextime he is going to be embarrassed. Word of advise....NO MERCY ON RICERS ANYMORE...ITS WAR!!!!!!!!!1111

mosconiac

Established Member
I've said it once, I'll say it again...SHOW NO MERCY. :)

Seriously, why give them ANY ammo? Shut 'em down HARD. Besides, its fun watching their eyes get big as you walk 'em so easily. ;)

Orange Poison

Established Member
yeah....I know what you mean. Take 'em out. I talked to a guy last weekend with a brand new WRX STI and he thought this car was the God end of all things. Come on man!

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Last month motor trend (I think) said in an article (might be a long term report) that while driving their evo they beat an 03 cobra. Fuel to the fire, eh?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Sonic 03 Cobra
Last month motor trend (I think) said in an article (might be a long term report) that while driving their evo they beat an 03 cobra. Fuel to the fire, eh?
And it probably had Traction Contol 'on'.
:lol:

jeffsavage

Established Member

Everything I have read so far, says the WRX STi and the Lancer EVO are just as fast or better 0-60 then the Cobra, and the Cobra only slightly will beat them in the 1/4. That would mean with differering driving skills and techniques it is a wash. So watch out for them, unless your Cobra is modded...

Silver 03 Cobra

When MT did a comparo a month or two ago with 10 cars including a lot of European exotics with the 03 Cobra, the Z06 and the Evo, the Evo did better than the 03 Cobra due to handling and braking and did very well for the whole comparo. The Evo recorded a better 0-60 but was a little slower in the 1/4 on ET but really lost on trap speed. If you are stock it will be close. When I'm beside one I'll have to let him have his day because I won't race and 7 out of 10 Evo drivers will be some smart ass punk. It'll be some serious pain turning my back.

03DSGSVT

Established Member
I too read the article in MT on the Evo, and it said the same thing, that they beat an 03' Cobra by a couple of tenths in 0-60.
Funny thing is, they have a list of all the cars they test over the year in the back, and guess what?

The Cobra had better times all around!! :rollseyes

I consider magazines a guideline for times, and not the end all be all, I mean especially when they contradict themselves, you HAVE to take them with a grain of salt...

Wild Bill

Established Member
I have learned a while ago never to go easy on anybody.The one time you do is the one time you will loose.You never know what somebody has untill you run them.You live...you learn.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DSGSVT
I too read the article in MT on the Evo, and it said the same thing, that they beat an 03' Cobra by a couple of tenths in 0-60.
Funny thing is, they have a list of all the cars they test over the year in the back, and guess what?

The Cobra had better times all around!! :rollseyes

I consider magazines a guideline for times, and not the end all be all, I mean especially when they contradict themselves, you HAVE to take them with a grain of salt...

The one I'm referring to was a street race they were talking about. It said they "blew the doors off of a 03 Cobra." The Evo may be AS fast, but definantly not blow the doors off a cobra fast. Especially not the stock ones they're toting around.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member

Ah, the benefits of AWD. You can kill them from a roll though. I used to waste WRX's from a roll all the time in my old 99 GT. Not sure if I could smoke the STi's though.:uh oh:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I was waiting for the first post of an EVO or STi encounter, as I read the articles on spanking the Cobra too. Hey, if I didn't need an SUV I'd seriously consider an EVO for the daily driver. Stock for Stock it'll probably come down to driver, but I bet it won't be long before the C5 guys start telling EVO stories too. The STi & EVO have been referred to as the modern pony-car war cars - & it's not a crazy analogy. For $30K, 30+mpg, 4 doors, AWD, all season ability and close to 13.0 times stock & faster 0-60 than a Cobra - wait til they chip-up a few psi, etc. But then again, you can make a pinto faster for less. It's a no win, like fighting a little guy, if he has a black belt & kiks your arse he says he beat up a big guy woohoo, if you win the fight, everyone says, well you should have, you're bigger than him & he was brave for trying. To me these guys aren't worth the gas or risk on the street (win or lose), vettes and porsches are fun step with (win or lose). IMHO.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
I have learned a while ago never to go easy on anybody.The one time you do is the one time you will loose.You never know what somebody has untill you run them.You live...you learn.

So true. Got revved at a roll by a Miata and didn't even bother downshifting. Got completely wasted. :(
Went again from like 4K in 2nd and got walked. Went from a stop and got walked again. Couldn't believe it.
Turns out he had a 3 stage turbo pushing 18 lbs and runs 120+ in the 1/4.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
The only way he got you was by launching his crap out that hard...

Keep in Mind.. MOTOR TREND was launching their evo at 5500RPMS!!! with 4wheel drive!! How long do you think that tranny/xfercase/diff will hold up? Not long at 5500 rpm launces... Whooptee dooo, You can still run him down after he tears the f' out of his car...

F--K em...

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Daffy
I was waiting for the first post of an EVO or STi encounter, as I read the articles on spanking the Cobra too.....Stock for Stock it'll probably come down to driver, but I bet it won't be long before the C5 guys start telling EVO stories too. The STi & EVO have been referred to as the modern pony-car war cars - & it's not a crazy analogy.

You can't be serious :dw: I posted on racing the EVO weeks ago and I'm sorry but they're slugs IMO. The best they could muster at the track was a 13.7. I beat one handily even though I missed 2nd and third and got out the throttle b/c I hit oil on the track. I even gave a local the timeslip from my head to head with an EVO so he could shove it down the throat of the EVO owner. Seems he's been running around town claiming to run 12's. Their trannies are weak and cannot withstand repeated hard launches. Additionaly they are designed to inhibit a true AWD launch. Attempts to do so rapidly lead to failure and Mitsu techs have been spied taking photos at the track so their warranty woes will be 10X worse than ours. Bottom line they're not a threat to us or the vettes.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
You can't be serious :dw: I posted on racing the EVO weeks ago and I'm sorry but they're slugs IMO. The best they could muster at the track was a 13.7. I beat one handily even though I missed 2nd and third and got out the throttle b/c I hit oil on the track. I even gave a local the timeslip from my head to head with an EVO so he could shove it down the throat of the EVO owner. Seems he's been running around town claiming to run 12's. Their trannies are weak and cannot withstand repeated hard launches. Additionaly they are designed to inhibit a true AWD launch. Attempts to do so rapidly lead to failure and Mitsu techs have been spied taking photos at the track so their warranty woes will be 10X worse than ours. Bottom line they're not a threat to us or the vettes.

My sentiments exactly.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
the ricer probably quit so he could accuse you of pulling a ricer fly-by instead of taking the loss.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
those wrx's and evo's blast out of the whole b/c of all wheel drive, but it suffers on the top end b/c of drag from the awd system. my point: don't even try to out take them coming out the hole. concentrate on pulling them in as quick as possible. the evo comes from the factory running 19#s of boost. i beat a stock evo in my 99 svt. of course he got me off the line but his top end sucked balls. 03 owners you have nothing to worry about a modded evo, just change the pulley for more boost. of course the evo will turn the boost up too, but you'll have a wayyyyyyyy better top end.

Users who are viewing this thread