large amount of fluid leaking rear end, HELP

03_snakebite

Established Member
hey i really need help. i added a 2.8kb back in oct. when i did this the shop replaced all the bushings with poly urithane and did an irs brace kit too. after the build i noticed a small leak from the raer diff. at the bottom so i thought it was just the diff cover seal and my shop guy reassured me that it was no big deal most cob rears leak and the leak was minimal. so i wrote it off and enjoyed the car. ( the car is a weekend toy that barely gets driven that much, prob put only 1000 miles on it since) so recently ive noticed that the leak has become more serious. the fluid pool went from about a quater to ( i took it out last nite parked it at 10pm and check it this morning at 10am) abot a foot long and 4 in wide. also i noticed that the fluid is not just at the bottom of the cover any more it seems to be coming from a higher location and running down it is on the brace that is on the cover and on the bends of my exhaust piping. from the research ive done on the forums and internet it sounds like pinion seal but idk what im looking for/at really. any one else having/had this issue? any ideas, comments, anything pls help

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
hey i really need help. i added a 2.8kb back in oct. when i did this the shop replaced all the bushings with poly urithane and did an irs brace kit too. after the build i noticed a small leak from the raer diff. at the bottom so i thought it was just the diff cover seal and my shop guy reassured me that it was no big deal most cob rears leak and the leak was minimal. so i wrote it off and enjoyed the car. ( the car is a weekend toy that barely gets driven that much, prob put only 1000 miles on it since) so recently ive noticed that the leak has become more serious. the fluid pool went from about a quater to ( i took it out last nite parked it at 10pm and check it this morning at 10am) abot a foot long and 4 in wide. also i noticed that the fluid is not just at the bottom of the cover any more it seems to be coming from a higher location and running down it is on the brace that is on the cover and on the bends of my exhaust piping. from the research ive done on the forums and internet it sounds like pinion seal but idk what im looking for/at really. any one else having/had this issue? any ideas, comments, anything pls help

First of all, if any mechanic told me a fluid leak is normal, regardless how small, I would tell him to go to hell and never go back. I had a similar issue to yours 6 months ago, but I had it fixed before it went past the "quarter size" drops. This is the deal that my shop explained to me: the sealer/adhesive that the dealer uses (and maybe your shop uses) to seal the cover to the diff, does not completely harden/bond...it's kinda rubbery, if that makes sense. Therefore, leaks can eventually emerge. My tuner showed me on my diff cover what he was talking about as you can see/feel that the adhesive that the dealer used on my diff years ago, was still quite soft/rubbery and easily came off with just a finger nail. In my case, the dealer had put soooo much of the adhesive on that it (it was all over/around the diff cover!) that lasted a few years. They put so much of it on the diff because that was the third time I had brought it back to them for the same damn leak...now I know why. I forgot the name of the bonding adhesive that my shop used, but it looked like a better product, i.e. thicker. What they do is apply it to the diff cover and let it set for a certain amount of time to slightly harden, then bolt it to the diff itself. As I said, I had this done 6 months ago and have never had one drop of a leak since. If you want, I can call my shop and ask them the name of the product they used...let me know. Also, since you lost so much fluid, I wouldn't drive your car...I hope this helps...good luck!

03_snakebite

Established Member
Yea thanks from the other post I've seen alot of people use gray lst seal (its for diesel) or some thing like that and usually let it set/harden for 24 hrs.but yea if you could find out what ur shop used that would help. When I first saw the leak gettin larger I I checked out the fluid level at the fill plug and its was still full I need to get back under and check it but def don't wana b diving it w no fluid. Thanks man

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Yea thanks from the other post I've seen alot of people use gray lst seal (its for diesel) or some thing like that and usually let it set/harden for 24 hrs.but yea if you could find out what ur shop used that would help. When I first saw the leak gettin larger I I checked out the fluid level at the fill plug and its was still full I need to get back under and check it but def don't wana b diving it w no fluid. Thanks man

Hey no problem...glad to help. I do believe the stuff they used was gray colored and quite thick, but I'll call the shop and find out for you. Given it's a holiday weekend and the shop owner may be out-of-town, I hope it's OK if I speak to him on Tuesday and let you know then...if you're going to repair this yourself this weekend and need to know right away, PM me and I'll try to contact him on his personal cell. Otherwise, I'll post the info here on Tuesday.

Ironhand

Banned
Get a hold of the sealer that the powerstroke guys use. It works very well to prevent leaks.

Trying to find exactly what it's called.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
You can also use HondaBond. I have used it a lot. It is the gray sealant that Honduh uses to seal their engines. Probably the same as the diesel sealant in a differeft tube.

03_snakebite

Established Member
So even though the leak has worsen and it seems to be coming from the top of the diff you all feel its just the seal and a new gasket n sealer will solve the issue?

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Ahhh n the garage work continues o n from what ive seen its gray rtv sealer

Sorry for the late reply. I got a hold of my shop/tuner today and he said the stuff is actually called "The Right Stuff" by Permatex...I was wrong about the color though, it's black not gray. I knew it had a catchy name because I remember when he was fixing my leak, I asked him what he uses (since he said the stuff the dealer uses isn't great) and when he said "the right stuff", I laughed and thought he was being sarcastic! Regardless, he just applied it to the cover, let it cure for about an hour, put the cover back on the diff and I never had one drop leak since. Oh, and I searched online to verify if I would remember what the canister looked like and indeed this is it: http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...uto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm

Good luck and I hope this helps! :burnout:

03_snakebite

Established Member
Sorry for the late reply. I got a hold of my shop/tuner today and he said the stuff is actually called "The Right Stuff" by Permatex...I was wrong about the color though, it's black not gray. I knew it had a catchy name because I remember when he was fixing my leak, I asked him what he uses (since he said the stuff the dealer uses isn't great) and when he said "the right stuff", I laughed and thought he was being sarcastic! Regardless, he just applied it to the cover, let it cure for about an hour, put the cover back on the diff and I never had one drop leak since. Oh, and I searched online to verify if I would remember what the canister looked like and indeed this is it: http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...uto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm

Good luck and I hope this helps! :burnout:

Thanks for the help man

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
OP please jack this car up and count how many of the cover bolts are almost finger loose. Then post up how many turns each one took to tighten them all back up.

Hose it off real good with two cans of cheap brake clean and drive it for a couple days before you take it to a DIFFERENT SHOP and drop trousers for the repair.

If the leak turns to no leak or a minor seep you will have bought yourself some valuable time to save up for some actual beneficial FTBR Derin and Aluminum bushings when the poly ones smoosh apart and a new gasket on the cover.

No laughing please until we see if this actually results in some saved money or not.:beer:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Motorcraft TA-31 or Permatex gray stuff is great. I brought my shop the ta-31 but they asked if they could use the permatex gray, as they've had great luck with it. So that's what my diff has right now.

03_snakebite

Established Member
OP please jack this car up and count how many of the cover bolts are almost finger loose. Then post up how many turns each one took to tighten them all back up.

Hose it off real good with two cans of cheap brake clean and drive it for a couple days before you take it to a DIFFERENT SHOP and drop trousers for the repair.

If the leak turns to no leak or a minor seep you will have bought yourself some valuable time to save up for some actual beneficial FTBR Derin and Aluminum bushings when the poly ones smoosh apart and a new gasket on the cover.

No laughing please until we see if this actually results in some saved money or not.:beer:
il give it a try when I get some free time crazy busy at work but when I do il post results

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

^^^^^^^^ This so true

Users who are viewing this thread