Large puff of smoke on cold startup

Azsnake

Established Member
Everytime I go for a high speed run or run higher rpm's (4500+), I get a large quick puff of blueish smoke on startup the next morning. Its clearly oil burn off. If I don't get the rpm's up past 4000 on the drive, I won't get the puff the next morning. I don't think its valve seals but could it be? I've read this is pretty common on 4v's (both the seals and puff). I also don't really use any oil between changes.

Anyone else find this as normal?

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
our motors blow some coal. its common nature of the beast. my 39k motor did it, and the brand new motor thats in my car now does it. nothing to be scared of. factory oil consumption tollerance is up to 1 quart. so just make sure you check the oil

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Mine does the same thing if I take it up in the R's w/in about 5 minutes of when I shut it down. If I do go above 4-5K and then drive it around "normally" for about 5 minutes and then park it, no puff of smoke the next morning. I was thinking valve seals too.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What everyone else has said already, but it could also be a sign of your valve guides or seals going bad in the heads.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The most common cause is guide and seal wear, it is something that we get MANY heads in here for service. Just keep an eye on the oil level and you will be fine in most cases, if it really bothers you takes the heads of and we can have them picked up and rebuild them for you, the rebuild cost is $400 and includes new seals and valve job, if it needs guides (we check them when they get here) add another $350 (performance bronze guides and install)

MMR
1-877-MOD-POWR

Users who are viewing this thread