Latest news on the 2015 mustang!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member

According to Ford inside sources reporting to Edmunds.com, The 2015 Mustang is set to loose at least 400lbs off the current body weight, but that’s not all.

A 400LBS Lighter, 15 Inch Shorter 2015 Mustang

Up until now, we have only been able to speculate about the next generation S550 Mustang being a smaller, more nimble vehicle. Now we have some solid evidence to support the findings. In addition to dropping 400 pounds in curb weight, the same inside source is also reporting a smaller in length 2015 Mustang–slicing off ~15 inches from the total size. This will undoubtedly have a positive impact on the 6th generation Mustang’s gas mileage and MPG. How much it will impact fuel efficiency, is still a mystery.

How this will play out with regards to interior space is yet to be seen, but given the tight constraints of the current Mustang’s back seats, one would wonder how much more room there is to loose from the interior compartment. For those of us who keep the rear seat belts buckled year-round, the prospect of loosing a little more real estate isn’t much of a concern, especially if that means dropping 400lbs.

2015 Mustang Dimensions vs The 2014 Mustang
Width: The 2015 is said to have a “10%” (~6.5 inches) shorter in width compared to the 2014 Mustang.

2014 Mustang: 73.9 inches wide — 2015 Mustang: 67.4 inches wide

Length: The 2015: 8% (~15 inches) shorter.

2014 Mustang: 188.5 inches in length and rides on a 107.1-inch wheelbase — 2015 Mustang: 173.5 inches in overall length

Weight: 2015 is set to loose ~400lbs curb weight.

2014 Mustang: 3,617.8lbs curb weight (V8 GT with Auto transmission) — 2015 Mustang GT: 3,217lbs curb weight

Pairing Less Weight With the EcoBoost 4-Cylinder Mustang
The drop in curb weight was brought on by two developments on the automotive world–Ford’s need for a more fuel-efficient fleet of vehicles and Europe’s tight vehicle sizing constraints. Given that we’ve heard reports and we have a video of the 2015 Mustang with a turbo’d 4 cylinder under the hood, its only natural to speculate how this new “SVO” will perform.

If the Edmunds report is true and the new Mustang sheds 400lbs of weight–not including the motor–the turbo 4-cylinder would have a curb weight of around 3,000lbs and be pushing somewhere around 300-350 horsepower. Comparatively, the last 4-cylinder turbo’d Mustangs–the 1986 SVO–came in at a curb weight of 3,049lbs and had a power output of 200 hp (149 kW) @ 5000 rpm 240 lb·ft (330 N·m) @ 3200 rpm. Throw in the addition of an IRS and shorter overall length, you have one completely overhauled pony car. Look out, there might be one formidable 4-banger with Mustang logos blowing the doors off older v8s when the 2015 model year Mustangs start rolling out.

The Coyote V8 Will Return in 2015
It’s not all a loss for the die-hard V8 crowd–in addition to a turbo 4-cylinder, the 2015 Mustang will also be produced with the current Coyote motor, possibly with a bump in power to between 450-475HP. A 2015 prototype videotaped doing test runs around the Dearborn, MI area had a V8 and sounded as good as ever, producing the low, muscle car growl we’ve come to expect from the beloved Mustang. The current V6 is set to return as the base model Mustang. The turbo 4 would be the middle ground while the V8 GTs would still be the premium model.

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
A 135i kept popping into my head as I read this but I know the changes will not be that drastic to compare the two. Unless, there is for sure a SVO type Mustang. This is great news I cant wait to see the final product!

Laloosh

Established Member
I call bullshit on the weight. So ford is making a 450hp 3200lb car for 30-35 grand? Yea OK Lol.

2012GTCS

Established Member
Hm good point. 15" is alot when you measure that out of the back seat. Unless they cut in other places, like a short stubby trunk.

Now I think Im really going to start demodding my car and sell it. I think its going to look great and I want one lol

Also says 10% increase in cost...

Last edited:

nicksender

Established Member
Hm good point. 15" is alot when you measure that out of the back seat. Unless they cut in other places, like a short stubby trunk.

Now I think Im really going to start demodding my car and sell it. I think its going to look great and I want one lol

Also says 10% increase in cost...

I think that article is just a lot of loose speculations; hope I"m wrong though. I can't see how they are going to shed 400 lbs. and lop 15" off the length of the car and still have a back seat and trunk!

10% increase in cost will hurt sales no matter how advanced the car is over the outgoing model. You would be looking at close to a $35k base model, no option GT.

This car is pretty much still a ghost with very little confirmed details; no one can really confirm much other than global platform, a few engine options, and IRS. It's going to be interesting to see what plays out in the next 6 months.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I am going to remain skeptical and optimistic about the changes in the new Mustang's weight and size, but here is some food for thought.

Everyone is so worried about how light the new Camaro will be because of it being based on the lighter ATS chassis. A look at current ATS weights shows it coming in at a little over 3,300lbs for the base non-turbo 4cyl and a little under 3,500lbs for the V6 model. Light yes, but think about the additional weight of the V8 plus the beefier drivetrain needed to support that. 3,550-3,600 is realistic, so the Camaro will be close to the current Mustang weight, but I believe it might be even more (or have less base HP than the current C7 LTI) and here is why: The C7 Vette weighs in at a a hair over 3,400lbs for an optioned Z51 (although Chevy lists a base Vette at a little over 3,200lbs). This is according to recent tests.

Now, Chevy is not going to want an SS Camaro with acceleration and performance on par (or at lease pretty close) to a Z51 Vette. Thus I will be very surprised if the upcoming Camaro SS will weigh any less than3,550-3,600lbs. If it does, it will have the same HP as the current SS, which I highly doubt.

Next, the new Mustang WILL be lighter. Heck they can do that with the current chassis and just a change in metal composition. Look at the weight difference between a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv and a regular 2012 Mazda 3. It is around 200lbs and the change is mostly due to high boron steel and a lighter engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread