Leakdown result too high?

87PONYGT

Established Member
I did a leakdown on my motor the other day and was kinda surprised at the results.

1. 27% 5. 17%
2. 27% 6. 30%
3. 12% 7. 30%
4. 30% 8. 17%

My test was done on a cold motor which I know will make the numbers lower but I thought these were kinda high even being cold. My short block (363 stroker) was a fresh build and only has 2 maybe 3000km's on it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Lawrence

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Where was the leak? Did you listen for where the air was escaping from? Rings or valves? Those numbers all seem high..typically you want numbers below 15%. Are you sure you had a good seal with the tester?

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Ouch..I guess I'd try testing it warm, see if it gets much better. Make sure you aren't leaking around the O-ring for the tester, I think we've all had that happen.

87PONYGT

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it wasn't leaking from the o ring, I tested that cylinder 4 times just to be sure.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I had almost same results, it was bad rings and bad exaust valves on my heads anything over 15-30% leak is really bad and I had 25-60% leak sucks I feel the pain time for a rebuild!!

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
20-30% on a cold motor is typically within normal range on any gauge.

I'll take your word for it there, I've never done it on a cold engine before. I was always advised to do it warm. I'd expect the numbers to be higher cold, but that much?

If under 15% is what you want warm, and 20-30% is normal cold, that means the leakage can be up to triple when cold? No offense intended, I'm asking.

Users who are viewing this thread