Leave Texas for Seattle bad idea?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I'm really bored with living in Houston and Seattle has been a great time each time I've visited. Houston is nothing but concrete and office buildings while Seattle actually has a pretty happening downtown. I'm not lacking for a good career here, but I feel like I'm not really living my life to the fullest in Houston.

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
What does that even mean?

Not enough bars?

Evaluate your own habits first other wise you may just fall into the same rut in a different city.

I've never been to Houston but I'm told it's the cultural center of Texas. Sports, museums, clubs, rodeos, etc. You are also near Galveston and Corpus Christi. Big Bend is not to far away either (for Texas).

You can't use trips as a barometer for how fun a city is either. I always have a good time in Chicago, Miami and New Orleans - doesn't mean if want to live there.

So before moving, dig down deep without any bias and list out what you don't like about Houston and what Seattle will do to change that.

Be realistic too. Chicago would totally rock if I moved into an awesome town house located in Lincoln Park, lived two blocks from work and had Bulls season tickets... but I don't have that type of money and never will.

If you find yourself going "the women suck, I don't have any friends and I spend my days watching Netflix with a dead end job".... Life will be that way in Seattle as well.

Last edited:

jimmy77

Established Member
Ever have Moss grow in you're armpits? Like to spend large amounts of time sitting in traffic? Move to Austin...and keep the sunshine:)

Katy TX5.0

Established Member

Not enough bars?

Evaluate your own habits first other wise you may just fall into the same rut in a different city.

I've never been to Houston but I'm told it's the cultural center of Texas. Sports, museums, clubs, rodeos, etc. You are also near Galveston and Corpus Christi. Big Bend is not to far away either (for Texas).

You can't use trips as a barometer for how fun a city is either. I always have a good time in Chicago, Miami and New Orleans - doesn't mean if want to live there.

So before moving, dig down deep without any bias and list out what you don't like about Houston and what Seattle will do to change that.

Be realistic too. Chicago would totally rock if I moved into an awesome town house located in Lincoln Park, lived two blocks from work and had Bulls season tickets... but I don't have that type of money and never will.

If you find yourself going "the women suck, I don't have any friends and I spend my days watching Netflix with a dead end job".... Life will be that way in Seattle as well.

That last part is funny but not the case for me.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Washington is awesome, and Im not even talking about downtown Seattle. Seattle is cool and all but there is way more to do outside of it. I dont know how expensive Houston is but just know that Western Washington is one of the top 5 most expensive places to live in the US. If you have a good career though you should be fine.

Seattle is exploding though with a tech boom. They are bringing cranes in from all over, including Canada because of the amount of new building going on downtown.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I did the same thing you're looking to do with Arizona. I visited often and loved it, so I moved. Ended up not being the piece of pie I had envisioned. I still love to visit, but wouldn't care to live there over where I'm currently at.

As some mentioned already, I moved back and just evaluated why the heck I was bored in the first place.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member

Not enough bars?

Houston is the asshole of Texas. It's aweful. Extremely hot and humid. Worst traffic in the state.

Austin has better culture if that is what you are into. Austin is more like Cali/Seattle with the vibe and politics, it's not like the rest of Texas. The property values are through the roof there too.

DFW is far superior to either of those places. Best home values in the country, fastest growing economy in the country too. Plus, we have the fastest street cars in Texas. :D

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Ever have Moss grow in you're armpits? Like to spend large amounts of time sitting in traffic? Move to Austin...and keep the sunshine:)

Please no. Way too many people here on the crappy road infrastructure as it is. I wish 1/2 of them here would move away...

Machdup1

Established Member
What you get out of a move is all about your expectations and how you adapt.

If you move and change yourself to fit the area, the move will be good.

If you don't change, you will just be the old unhappy you in a new place.

If you don't like the area you live in, I would move after thinking through financial implications of the decision. Life is too short.

Of course you could always change without moving.

oldmodman

Established Member
Washington State.

Lots of damp, clammy weather.

Too many coffee shops.

Too many angry leftists.

Want to do a little speeding? Forget it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I was going to say, doesn't it rain a lot in Seattle? I get pissed here in S Louisiana when it rains nearly every weekend. But shining this weekend. Where I live I'm 30 minutes from Baton Rouge, 40 minutes to New Orleans. A little drive to the Gulfcoast beaches. Can't get much better. And it's cheap to live here.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's been in the high 60s and 70s here the past 3mo. It's 80 right now and supposed to be 85 tomorrow. Definitely was a mild winter and spring for us but it has been awesome. The car scene here has exploded again because of it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

nxhappy

Established Member
why would anyone EVER want to leave Texas ??? Just sayin'.

starnsey

Established Member
Houston is the asshole of Texas. It's aweful. Extremely hot and humid. Worst traffic in the state.

Austin has better culture if that is what you are into. Austin is more like Cali/Seattle with the vibe and politics, it's not like the rest of Texas. The property values are through the roof there too.

DFW is far superior to either of those places. Best home values in the country, fastest growing economy in the country too. Plus, we have the fastest street cars in Texas. :D

Meh, I dig Houston over Dallas. Spent two and a half years in Lewisville. Driving to Gainesville to work every day may have had something to do with me not being a huge fan of DFW. Well...that and the tornadoes. Hurricanes are much more manageable.

CallMeWonder

Established Member
The rain isnt bad in terms of the amount of rain we get. but it seems like here it will drizzle for days at a time, gets really annoying actually. The past few years have actually been the driest we've had in decades. Overall, I like it here

MG0h3

Established Member
Washington State.

Lots of damp, clammy weather.

Too many coffee shops.

Too many angry leftists.

Want to do a little speeding? Forget it.

Youre from LA and youre bagging WA state?

There may be a bunch of hippies but good, down to earth people far outweigh them. Get a little bit outside of Seattle and there are farms and ranches all over.

It may be wet there but its not hot enough to be what I consider clammy/humid. Socal was worse. South Texas worse yet.

Oh and WA state seems to smell better than any part of CA or TX Ive been in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread