Leave the stock lines or???.....

JP_Stang

Established Member
Hey guys,

This may be a stupid question, but when you were installing your fuel system, did you remove the stock lines or did you let them be? It looks like a task removing them because the clamps that hold them to the body are pop riveted on it looks like....

01yellercobra

Established Member
I did the Glenns set up on a buddies car. We left the stock lines in place.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Mine are in place for now.. I'm going to remove them when I get a chance.. Weight savings.. Maybe like 5lbs but 5lbs is still 5lbs hahahaha

95PGTTech

Established Member
Seriously? Have you every removed a rivet before? Use a punch, punch out the center of the rivet. Drill the rivet head out. DONE.

Some of these cars, at points, use brackets which contain the brake lines and fuel lines. At these points, replace the rivets. Otherwise, get rid of the dead, ugly weight. After you figure out how to remove the first rivet, you will kick yourself in the face. It literally takes ten seconds to remove one and looks infinitely better.

JP_Stang

Established Member
^^Dude, I build test fixtures for GE for a living and have been building cars since I can remember with my father. Don't insult my intellegence or my skill set. I know how to remove a rivet, hell I almost do it on a daily basis. To be honest, I just don't think it is worth the hassle to remove 3lbs worth of piping at this time. Plus, I don't really think anyone is going to walk up to my car, look it over and then drop down on the ground and try to squeeze their head under it looking to make sure I removed the stock lines from under the car. I may get bored one day and decide to do something like that in the future, but I just don't see the point right now. Especially since I don't have a garage, it's been over 100 degrees everyday here lately and my driveway is pebble stone concrete. It just doesn't sound very fun to me.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The stock stuff just got ripped out of out of a customers thunderbird supercoupe not too hard a job, the lines used and routing is similar,he went with twin 340's, ptfe lines. It's got a built IRS,Auto,4V,ported heads and T-Trim. Quite the Sleeper..

95PGTTech

Established Member
^^Dude, I build test fixtures for GE for a living and have been building cars since I can remember with my father. Don't insult my intellegence or my skill set. I know how to remove a rivet, hell I almost do it on a daily basis. To be honest, I just don't think it is worth the hassle to remove 3lbs worth of piping at this time. Plus, I don't really think anyone is going to walk up to my car, look it over and then drop down on the ground and try to squeeze their head under it looking to make sure I removed the stock lines from under the car. I may get bored one day and decide to do something like that in the future, but I just don't see the point right now. Especially since I don't have a garage, it's been over 100 degrees everyday here lately and my driveway is pebble stone concrete. It just doesn't sound very fun to me.

If what you say is true about your credentials, cut the time I quoted to do the job in half. Also, multiply my understanding of why the hell you're not doing it by 1000. If you have the tank down doing the fuel system anyway, removing the lines should be a matter of minutes.

Hell, you could be really lazy and get up there with an electric cutoff wheel and just start sectioning the lines and taking them out piece by piece without even removing the brackets. 10 minutes?

JP_Stang

Established Member
What is your deal man? I just told you why I didn't want to mess with it, I don't understand why your still going on about it. What I also don't get, is why do you need to be a smart ass about this? I asked what others did with theirs, I didn't ask you what do you think of me if I don't! If my reasons for not wanting to mess with it makes you that mad, you should think about why that is. Here is your answer, because they are MY reasons, not yours. I am not asking you to agree with the reasons. One thing is for damn sure, I don't have to prove myself to you! If me not wanting to do this has upset you for some reason, I apologize for that.

To Slo, 98 and Brute, thank you for not being judgemental and just answering the question for me.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I got my lines ran and tied up yesterday afternoon. I just need to sell my Walbro 255's so I can purchase the pickup tube from Glenn's. Once I get that, all I have to do is screw the lines to the pickup tube, throw the tank back up and she is ready for that long awaited tune! I can't wait to see what she does!

I left the lines there for now. When me and the wife get the chance to purchase a new home, I will remove them in the garage I will have. I also want to do a bunch of wire clean up and tucking in the engine bay, but I think I will save that chore for when I have the garage also.

I would like to thank everybody for all the advise I have gotten through my build! This is my first mod motor and I had no idea how much I would have to learn to get to this point. I will be sure to let everyone know what she puts down. I have a feeling my tuner is going to have a month wait or more....

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
^^^Thank you! I feel the same way. Like I mentioned before, I may do it one day but I am really not worried about it at all at this time. I am eventually going to have her painted and throw some CCW's on it. After I paint it, I will do it when I do my wire tuck.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I agree it's not like your car needs to shed every ounce of weight for a drag race class etc.. I'd say if you have a lift it's an easy hour job taking a few drink breaks in between, cutting wheel is a bonus too. I'm expecting 600 to the wheels for you!

JP_Stang

Established Member
Yeah, I don't even plan to have her on a track. I have lost thousands from breaking cars on the tracks and I don't care to that with this one.

I hope your right! That is what I am shooting for. I don't see why it wouldn't? I have everything I need to put that power down now. Well....I may run into needing a Thump RRR tensioner. I thought about going ahead and getting one, but there is no way in hell I can afford a new one after this fuel system purchase! I am always looking through the classifieds, keeping my eye open for one. There is one for sale right now but he doesn't know if it's the model that will fit under the Vortech bracket or not.

Users who are viewing this thread