Leaving my whipple for TT

GodStang

Established Member
I had a hunch about the intercooler. It was mentioned in the past. Guy I knew had one made a while back. 3.4 whipple setup. Didnt gain anything. My tuner said he spent a decent coin on it and no improvements. Not sure what the flow rate was.

Just because he had one made does not mean it flowed better. A custom one could flow worse if not made right. Also our lower intake may not allow more air flow even with the improved intercooler. Also depends on boost and many other things. The GT500 guys have gains from cooler temps and more air flow going to the Ford racing one or the Kenne Bell one.

stangfreak

Established Member
Totally agree. I just remembered talking to the guy a while back and said the company that made the intercooler was supposed to outflow the stock one and make more power with cooler temps. I wish I remembered who did it. could be it was made wrong like you said.

It was funny you mentioned the intercooler bc we were talking about options to make my car faster. It seems everytime I do something the car makes less and less power. so we were going through the whole list. In the end, it was the turbo route. I would love a 900rwhp twinscrew cobra. But it won't happen unless I swap out the motor and do something crazy. But then I can't pass emissions in NY

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Totally agree. I just remembered talking to the guy a while back and said the company that made the intercooler was supposed to outflow the stock one and make more power with cooler temps. I wish I remembered who did it. could be it was made wrong like you said.

It was funny you mentioned the intercooler bc we were talking about options to make my car faster. It seems everytime I do something the car makes less and less power. so we were going through the whole list. In the end, it was the turbo route. I would love a 900rwhp twinscrew cobra. But it won't happen unless I swap out the motor and do something crazy. But then I can't pass emissions in NY

A good friend of mine runs his own dyno tuning shop and has had so many different cobras in there that it's crazy. The only one with a twin screw to make 900+ wheel had a fully built motor. It had custom cams, stage 3 ported heads, and slightly higher compression. I think the guy said that he had like 13k in the longblock. It was set up for a turbo, but he hadn't changed over yet. It had a 2.9 whipple and made 915 wheel. The next highest was a 2.9 car on 25lbs with stage 2 comp cams and a stock shortblock. It made 820 wheel. Both cars on e85. If you want crazy power its turbo or nothing. Dont get me wrong, 800 wheel is a lot of power, but it isn't the 1000+ that everyone seems to want these days.

stangfreak

Established Member
A good friend of mine runs his own dyno tuning shop and has had so many different cobras in there that it's crazy. The only one with a twin screw to make 900+ wheel had a fully built motor. It had custom cams, stage 3 ported heads, and slightly higher compression. I think the guy said that he had like 13k in the longblock. It was set up for a turbo, but he hadn't changed over yet. It had a 2.9 whipple and made 915 wheel. The next highest was a 2.9 car on 25lbs with stage 2 comp cams and a stock shortblock. It made 820 wheel. Both cars on e85. If you want crazy power its turbo or nothing. Dont get me wrong, 800 wheel is a lot of power, but it isn't the 1000+ that everyone seems to want these days.

Hands down turbo is the way to go. If you have access to e85, the high compression motor is the way to go. Even stick with a big blower. I don't know what I want to do. I am just going to focus on my 6R80 swap for now. Play around with a 600+rwhp 6 speed automatic cobra. I am sure it will be fast on the street

Zemedici

Established Member

This so much. There’s plenty of ways to make power efficiently, just depends on budget and how you want power to come on.

I hear PD blower and nitrous is pretty potent too....

elcobrita

Established Member
This so much. There’s plenty of ways to make power efficiently, just depends on budget and how you want power to come on.

I hear PD blower and nitrous is pretty potent too....

I always wondered why we don't see a lot more twin screw/ nitrous Terminators.

That's what Hellcats and c6 ZR1s do. They only make low 800s on boltons but then dump a shot of nitrous and 1k plus hp is easily attainable. And they are very competitive on the streets these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zemedici

Established Member
I always wondered why we don't see a lot more twin screw/ nitrous Terminators.

That's what Hellcats and c6 ZR1s do. They only make low 800s on boltons but then dump a shot of nitrous and 1k plus hp is easily attainable. And they are very competitive on the streets these days.

Tuning a PD / Nitrous car is tricky, and requires a good bit of dialing in on the dyno. And since everyone nowadays is all about 'HOW CHEAP CAN I GET IT?!'

So, needless to say....not a lot of correctly running combos out there.

stangfreak

Established Member
Two power adders is kinda iffy. For what I use my car for, I don't want to run nitrous. I need power on tap when I am driving around. If I brought my car to the track or had races setup, yea I would spray. But just cruising around, Id rather have one power adder where its always there.

My good friend venomous03cobra had a ported eaton with spray, a 60 shot, and ran 10.30's back to back to back. Hot lapping lol. full weight stock suspension cobra and even had his power tools and spare tire in the trunk. But the man can drive. The combo works amazingly.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_5449.JPG

CGFAB does great work. I made it harder than it needed to be because I wanted NRE turbos and that causes fitment issues(damn the turbos are huge for 61mm)

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

elcobrita

Established Member
Two power adders is kinda iffy. For what I use my car for, I don't want to run nitrous. I need power on tap when I am driving around. If I brought my car to the track or had races setup, yea I would spray. But just cruising around, Id rather have one power adder where its always there.

My good friend venomous03cobra had a ported eaton with spray, a 60 shot, and ran 10.30's back to back to back. Hot lapping lol. full weight stock suspension cobra and even had his power tools and spare tire in the trunk. But the man can drive. The combo works amazingly.

I take it your buddy did it with a simple nozzle setup into the intake tube too. You can get pretty high tech stuff now with nitrous setups nowadays.

A 2.6 TVS with a 200 shot through a spray bar would be pretty interesting to see. That tq hit would be through the roof.

stangfreak

Established Member
I take it your buddy did it with a simple nozzle setup into the intake tube too. You can get pretty high tech stuff now with nitrous setups nowadays.

A 2.6 TVS with a 200 shot through a spray bar would be pretty interesting to see. That tq hit would be through the roof.

yes john I believe sprayed it post maf right into the intake tube. No tuning issues, nothing. we went to atco for a track rental, and venomous john hot lapped the car three times haha. 10.30, 10.32 and 10.3x .

The man can drive though. Lots of videos got removed but this one is left. This is when brian from APTEN was making the ported eatons. way before steig. They were the triangle ports that were known to run hard. so this was shot maybe in 04? To my knowledge this was without spray. with the 60 shot he was trapping 135

MG0h3

Established Member

Whats up Adrian. You still going Gen3 2.9 or what?

elcobrita

Established Member
Whats up Adrian. You still going Gen3 2.9 or what?

I was but when the TVS 2650 for the Terminator was announced I decided to wait and see the results on that first.

Anything over 800 on a stock topend Terminator by the new TVS, that's the route in going.

MG0h3

Established Member
I was but when the TVS 2650 for the Terminator was announced I decided to wait and see the results on that first.

Anything over 800 on a stock topend Terminator by the new TVS, that's the route in going.

Nice kinda holding out for the same. Unless I go turbo.

Hey do you notice worse traction here when its all windy? I've never been here this time of year and I'd expect to do better in the heat but I'm breaking loose if I stab third on the freeway on my DR.

elcobrita

Established Member
Nice kinda holding out for the same. Unless I go turbo.

Hey do you notice worse traction here when its all windy? I've never been here this time of year and I'd expect to do better in the heat but I'm breaking loose if I stab third on the freeway on my DR.

Oh yea man. That's the downside of living in a hot desert is all the dirt on the roads in the windy season. At least we don't get undriveable winters lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
call me crazy but if I didnt have to pass emissions id coyote swap my cobra.
If it's done right it should pass emissions. I knew a guy years ago that dropped a 302 into an LTD sedan. He had to take it to a referee station, but it got signed off and passed emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread