LED gauge lights

BBriBro

Established Member
LED gauge lights (new info with PICS)

I currently have the APC green bulbs from autozone, as others have tried. The color is pretty close, (much closer than the green cover over a clear bulb) but I find them to be much too dim, the center of the gauge doesn't get illuminated very well, and the factory gauges are so bright, it just doesn't blend well. So I am looking for LED replacements, some of them are super bright and you can get all sorts of colors. Does anyone have any input on LED bulbs? The prices seem to vary greatly.

Next question, what is the "color" of the factory instrument lights? Most LEDs are catagorized by their "color temperature" which correlates to the wavelength of the light expressed in nm. for example, I have seen green LEDs that are 570 nm, and also some that are 525 nm. I don't know which is more blue green, or more forest green, I am trying to figure all this out, if anyone has any experience in this matter, let me know.

Last edited:

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
The only problem with LEDS is that they are very directional. It will be hard to get the gauge to evenly illuminate.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 78mphgpr
The only problem with LEDS is that they are very directional. It will be hard to get the gauge to evenly illuminate.
Yes, I thought of that too, and some you can get with different degrees of "viewing angle" typically about 20-30 degrees, but I have seen some with 120-125 degrees, I think that would be plenty.

BBriBro

Established Member
Ok, I ordered a few different LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com, for those of you obsessed with getting the lighting just right, like me, here is what I have discovered. The green bulb cover that comes with the gauges isn't nearly "green" enough. The green bulbs that autozone sells are a nice color, but too dim. Here are the autozone bulbs.
bulbs2.JPG

I ordered 3 different LEDs, the single large LED has a special reflector/cone inside to direct light out the side, I thought this might be good for gauge lighting, but it's not very bright. The 4 and 6 LED clusters project most of their light out the front, but the lighting pattern doesn't look any different than from the standard incandescent bulbs, so those are my choice, I will post pics from inside the car soon.

bulbs.JPG

led1.JPG

led2.JPG

bulb1.JPG

bulb2.JPG

bulb3.JPG

Last edited:

lethal

Established Member
Now that the retinas of my eyes are burned out I would have to say I like the 4 led cluster. The six way seems like overkill.

Nice work, I'll be stealing this idea from you =)

John

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
Now that the retinas of my eyes are burned out I would have to say I like the 4 led cluster. The six way seems like overkill.
Well, before you order them, wait till I get some pics of them in the car. I took many many pics on the workbench, trying different shutter speeds and different background lighting trying to get them to look right. those were taken in pitch dark with the shutter open 2 seconds, so they may be a bit over exposed, but they were the best ones by the time I threw out all the ones that were out of focus. If I had more gauges laying around, I would like to take the picture of all bulbs at once, in one shot, then at least you know the expsure is the same for all, There isn't too much difference between the 4 and 6 LED cluster.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Let us know how they match the stock cluster... VERY interesting

BBriBro

Established Member
Well I've been hesitant to post this night shot for two reasons; 1st of all, I can't really get a great shot, my camera just really sucks in low light, even on a tripod, and 2nd, the LEDs just don't match the stock lighting, they are too green. The gauges look awesome during the day, (ultra lites) but at night, even with the correct color, the side lit style just leaves a lot to be desired. I wish they were back lit, or they made the Lunars in more types of gauges. The LEDs I bought are 521.8 nm, I wonder what "color" I would need to get more blueish, and maybe match the stock cluster better, the LUNARs seem actually too blue, and mine are too green.

nightshot.JPG

Last edited:

RGrossman

Established Member
I like the Phantom's with green bulbs and I like the 20PSI guage much better then the 30.

Any part number for those bulbs?

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by RGrossman
I like the Phantom's with green bulbs and I like the 20PSI guage much better then the 30.

Any part number for those bulbs?
I had the phantoms, but the white didn't look right, I think the ultra lites match better (during the day) and I like the silver bezel against my blue pod. Read above for the bulb info.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
Well I've been hesitant to post this night shot for two reasons; 1st of all, I can't really get a great shot, my camera just really sucks in low light, even on a tripod, and 2nd, the LEDs just don't match the stock lighting, they are too green. The gauges look awesome during the day, (ultra lites) but at night, even with the correct color, the side lit style just leaves a lot to be desired. I wish they were back lit, or they made the Lunars in more types of gauges. The LEDs I bought are 521.8 nm, I wonder what "color" I would need to get more blueish, and maybe match the stock cluster better, the LUNARs seem actually too blue, and mine are too green.

BBriBro,

You don't give yourself enough credit. I have Autometer Phantom Boost and Fuel pressure gauges. Originally I tried a trick I had heard of coloring the green Autometer booty with a blue marker to give you aqua. It was much to dim. After seeing your post I ordered up some single and quad LED's. I ended up going with the quad's for the better clarity & brightness. You're right they don't match completely but they are close. It is the side vs back light thing. But in my opinion the LEDs offer the best and closest lighting to stock.

Would a blue Autometer bulb cover fight over a single LED? I'd give you aqua, but again it would be dim.

Awesome install you did!!!

:coolman:

Last edited:

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Onelfastlride
BBriBro,

Originally I tried a trick I had heard of coloring the green Autometer booty with a blue marker to give you aqua..................

Would a blue Autometer bulb cover fight over a single LED? I'd give you aqua, but again it would be dim.

:coolman:
Intersesting Ideas, I guess if I had to choose, I'd take the bright light, vs a dim one with closer color, which is why I chose the LEDs, But there is always room for improvement.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, some of you really get very serious about your lighting and color matches. LOL! I went with the Lunar gauges simply because I didn't want to have to do that and wanted a gauge that was close to stock in color. I'm very happy with the Lunar gauge lighting but do wish I had wired in a dimmer so they would better match the stock cluster at night. The Lunars are brighter. It's not a big deal, though. I'm happy! :)

Onelfastlride

Established Member
BBriBro,

I like your interior. I think mine would give it a close run for the money depending on one's taste but I don't have the dash pod. All my pieces have been carbon fiber'd including the Autometer Instrument Bezel Gauge pod.

As far as gauges go, there are many other vendor's that sell Electroilluminesant gauges that would be a perfect match. But they're more costly, some don't have that features you'd want. Or there is blue markers, blue booties, all make aqua. Maybe a 4 or 6 LED bulb with a few blue'd out LEDs might give you aqua.

Again, awesome install.

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
question for BBriBro

BBriBro,
hey quick question for you. Just put the roll cage in our car. Cant use the pillar pod any longer, what brand is your pod on the dash, if you dont mind saying??

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Do u need to special order them or will AutoZone have them in stock?
Autozone doesn't have any LEDs, I ordered them from www.superbrightleds.com
Originally posted by DSF
BBriBro,
hey quick question for you. Just put the roll cage in our car. Cant use the pillar pod any longer, what brand is your pod on the dash, if you dont mind saying??
It's from autometer, black plastic.
dash_pod.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread