LED lights retrofit/2010-2012 bulbs and harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
A few weeks ago i've purchased a set of 2011 mustang rear LED bulbs and harnesses off ebay for about $125. So after that I started working on fitting them in to my 04 tail lamps.
I started with making a set of new sleeves for the LED bulbs
For this project you need:
some minimum 1/8'' thick plastic(just about the thikness of the lamps housing) to make the sleeves
a 1' 3/4'' hole saw with guide bit(this is how big the sleeves need to be) and a 7/8'' hole saw(this is the diameter of the LED's body)
Dremel to make the shape of the LED's locking tabs.

This is what I ended up with
20150304_154050.jpg

2 made and 4 before the 7/8'' hole. Use the middle hole as a guide
20150304_153903.jpg

glued to the lamp. These need to be glued in such way that you can't see the original tabs on the lamp because the LEDs will interfere with them if you don't. You can always dremel in to the lamp to shave the tabs off, I just preferred not to do so. Also refer to pic #6 before gluing
20150307_145524.jpg

20150304_183906.jpg

Some silicone around to make sure is all sealed
20150307_172120.jpg

Now in this picture the way you see the LED's, that's basically the only way you can have them in, otherwise they will not fit. So make sure before you glue the sleeves you clock them right, so when the LEDs are locked they look like pictured. The middle one needs to have the plug towards the outside of the lamp because of the way the plug is. In ideal conditions you will have all 6 LEDS just like the silver ones for a better fit but that's what I've bought.
20150307_150208.jpg

This is all wired up with the sequencer from the Autotrix guys
20150307_154509_Copy.jpg

Now this is where is going to hurt because you need to hammer the car a bit because the far out LED would not go in and will interfere with the car's body. Use a piece of wood block or whatever you have to push back that metal just a bit.
20150314_145432_Copy.jpg

20150314_145355.jpg

I've also wired a old socket with a bulb off the original harness to use as a load for the flasher so I don't get hyper flash on the turn signal. I used one bulb per lamp, wired both filaments, wrapped them in aluminum tape and pulled them behind the driver side trunk liner. You can buy load resistors if you want instead of using bulbs.

It looks difficult but it's a 4-5 hour project and to me it was very easy. Thank you!

Here's a video I have:
[video=youtube;wwV9g7jb2nA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwV9g7jb2nA[/video]

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
the end result looks fantastic. I hope you did something to protect the metal below the dent you put in the car. I say that cause it looks like you flaked off the paint a little in that spot and it is a location that is not sealed (very likely would get humid and wet there).

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
the end result looks fantastic. I hope you did something to protect the metal below the dent you put in the car. I say that cause it looks like you flaked off the paint a little in that spot and it is a location that is not sealed (very likely would get humid and wet there).

I did not treat the area just yet because I'm planning to get a full detail and take all the light off the car and also buy a can of Duplicolor Redfire paint to refinish that spot.
The light look 1000X better in person and the project is very easy to do and it also brings the car to a more modern time ......at least that's what I think,lol :)
I am trying to see if I can rewire them somehow so I don't get sequence on the brake....just like the '10+ mustangs
Thanks for the compliment.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I'll buy fabbed sleeves if you sell them!

I wish I had more plastic around to make more. I cut mine out of an old tail lamp and also I cut out of a plastic electric box(the grey one in the picture) since it's the perfect thickness. I'll see what I can find and let you know.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
What is the benefit of this method over buying LED bulbs with built in resistors?

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Very Cool! Car sounds epic too. Whats your exhaust set up?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
What is the benefit of this method over buying LED bulbs with built in resistors?

I have not seen nicely lit taillights like the ones that OP shared. I do wonder why buy the resistors instead of a new flasher though if you were to switch over to LED taillights. I think the resistors just waste energy to make the flasher happy. A new flasher is probably just as cheap as the resistors and saves the energy.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I am trying to see if I can rewire them somehow so I don't get sequence on the brake....just like the '10+ mustangs

I absolutely love the look but like you I am not fond of the sequential function when hitting the brake pedal. Let us know if you find a work around.

SV

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member

As you can see in the video, the light is bright even with my smoked lamps. The benefit IMO, is that you don't really find a led that will last as long, be as bright and have the quality like these have.

Very Cool! Car sounds epic too. Whats your exhaust set up?

Thank you sir! Exhaust is stock manifolds, catted MagnaFlow X and borla stingers.

I have not seen nicely lit taillights like the ones that OP shared. I do wonder why buy the resistors instead of a new flasher though if you were to switch over to LED taillights. I think the resistors just waste energy to make the flasher happy. A new flasher is probably just as cheap as the resistors and saves the energy.

My option instead of wasting money on resistors,was to just wire 2 bulbs behind the trunk liner until I get a flasher for LEDs.

I absolutely love the look but like you I am not fond of the sequential function when hitting the brake pedal. Let us know if you find a work around.

SV

I sure will. I've contacted the guys at Autotrix (they are the sequential light kit makers) and Clint, I think is his name, he will ask his electronic engineer about it. I am also trying to work on it but ran out of spare time, lol.

Tractionless1

Established Member
The sequential kit I have required a wire from under the dash be run to the back to prevent the sequence on braking function. I felt it would be confusing to people following behind and opted to have them full on when braking.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Do you remember where was that wire hooked up to?

I'll check the instructions of the kit I installed. Please email me at [email protected] as I can respond there much faster than waiting for time to log on here and have time to catch up on forum postings.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you remember where was that wire hooked up to?

I'll check the instructions of the kit I installed. Please email me at [email protected] as I can respond there much faster than waiting for time to log on here and have time to catch up on forum postings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread