LED tail lights?

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Not to get this off topic but I'm thinking of doing another LED mod I seen somebody do on here.

Nice! More details on that one please!

I'm testing some with 96 right now and they look killer.

Can you post up some pics? My cobra is "down for the winter" so, I have some free time to do some extra mods to it.

keith89

Established Member
reviving an old thread...I noticed the kit comes with 6 bulbs and 4 resistors. Should there be 6 resistors as well? 1 for each bulb? I have autotrix sequential tails so I'm wondering if these should be hooked up any differently. Thanks

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
reviving an old thread...I noticed the kit comes with 6 bulbs and 4 resistors. Should there be 6 resistors as well? 1 for each bulb? I have autotrix sequential tails so I'm wondering if these should be hooked up any differently. Thanks

Keith,

On the 99-04 cars resistors are only needed for the turn signal bulbs. There's 2 turn signals on each side which is why we include 4 resistors in our kit. Without them the turn signal bulbs will blink really fast just like the stock ones do when one of the bulbs is out.

The LED's also don't work with sequential tail light kits. At least they don't on the 05+ cars which I'm assuming is the same for the 99-04 car.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

keith89

Established Member
Keith,

On the 99-04 cars resistors are only needed for the turn signal bulbs. There's 2 turn signals on each side which is why we include 4 resistors in our kit. Without them the turn signal bulbs will blink really fast just like the stock ones do when one of the bulbs is out.

The LED's also don't work with sequential tail light kits. At least they don't on the 05+ cars which I'm assuming is the same for the 99-04 car.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Hey Jared,

They do work with the sequentials on my 03. I installed one resistor on each side, but i think it's still blinking faster than normal. I think I need to install another one or two per side. I need to pick up some wire taps because one of the resistors didn't come with a pair. I'm just hoping I hooked them up right. I hooked them to the outside wires on the plug. I'm guessing Major is for the turn signal brightness.
Thanks,
Keith

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey Jared,

They do work with the sequentials on my 03. I installed one resistor on each side, but i think it's still blinking faster than normal. I think I need to install another one or two per side. I need to pick up some wire taps because one of the resistors didn't come with a pair. I'm just hoping I hooked them up right. I hooked them to the outside wires on the plug. I'm guessing Major is for the turn signal brightness.
Thanks,
Keith

Keith,

On the OEM setup the far left 2 bulbs and the far right 2 bulbs light up as turn signals. So you'll need a resistor on each one of them in order to stop the fast blink. I'm not sure though how the sequential harness effects that.

Jared

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm testing some with 96 right now and they look killer.

Nice! More details on that one please!

Can you post up some pics? My cobra is "down for the winter" so, I have some free time to do some extra mods to it.

Left Side contains a RED 96-LED Bulb, Middle is a RED Recon LED:

Lights on:

DSCF1835.jpg

Brakes on:

DSCF1814.jpg

Visually, the Recon bulbs barely get brighter when hitting the brakes, and it is hard to notice. Not the safest setup I don't think.

The 96LED bulbs are very bright and have a dramatic difference over the normal tail lights. Possibly too bright, but I like the effect. I am about o order a few more bulbs for more testing and better pictures.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
All of the brake lights are the same. They use a 3157 LED Bulb. On the 99-04 cars you'll need 4 resistors. One resistor per turn signal bulb. Since the 99-04 cars have 2 bulbs blink on each side when turning each of those will require a resistor to keep the bulbs from having the fast blink like you get when a turn signal bulb is out. We carry a kit which includes all 6 brake light bulbs and the 4 resistors for $124.95.

Here's a link.
Recon 99-04 Mustang Brake Light Kit (Includes 6 LED Bulbs) [264207WHX6] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs nice !!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Which sequential kit did you use? I just installed the Webelectric one myself, and I'm now considering adding the LED's too.

Lights on:

DSCF1835.jpg

Brakes on:

DSCF1814.jpg

Visually, the Recon bulbs barely get brighter when hitting the brakes, and it is hard to notice. Not the safest setup I don't think.

The 96LED bulbs are very bright and have a dramatic difference over the normal tail lights. Possibly too bright, but I like the effect. I am about o order a few more bulbs for more testing and better pictures.

i was thinking about this but i might just pass until there is a plug & play kit

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Lights on:
IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n87/oocpromo/Z%20QX4%20Component%20Pics/Ronnies%20Tail%20Lights/DSCF1835.jpg[/IMG]

Brakes on:
IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n87/oocpromo/Z%20QX4%20Component%20Pics/Ronnies%20Tail%20Lights/DSCF1814.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the pics man!
See, I'm almost wanting to put a 50% tint on my rear tail lenses, brighter LEDs would be the better route to go.

bms001

Established Member
I purchased the Recon LED bulbs from ya'll a few months back, and was wondering what kind of resistor it is that is supplied in the kit? I think one of them has gone out because one of my brake lights doesn't light up all the way anymore or they will flash. I'm looking at replacing the resistor but don't have any of the papers on them anymore and need to know what the resistance is on them. Thanks.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I purchased the Recon LED bulbs from ya'll a few months back, and was wondering what kind of resistor it is that is supplied in the kit? I think one of them has gone out because one of my brake lights doesn't light up all the way anymore or they will flash. I'm looking at replacing the resistor but don't have any of the papers on them anymore and need to know what the resistance is on them. Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend using the Recon Bulbs. In my testing, they offer very little visual difference between Tail/Brake Light brightness.

bms001

Established Member
I plan on getting something else a little down the road, but they are in the car already. I really just want to fix that one first because a random flashing or not fully lit bulb isn't exactly safe either.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks for the pics man!
See, I'm almost wanting to put a 50% tint on my rear tail lenses, brighter LEDs would be the better route to go.

This is the main reason that I would want them too - so that they still retain stock brightness, even through the tint!

Who sells those 96 LED bulbs - those are awesome, and look to be bright enough for tinted tails.

bms001

Established Member
This is the main reason that I would want them too - so that they still retain stock brightness, even through the tint!

Who sells those 96 LED bulbs - those are awesome, and look to be bright enough for tinted tails.

+1 I as well would like to know where to buy the 96 LED bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread