leftover 2012 or 2013

INTRCPTR

Established Member
I was thinking the exact same thing, local dealer told me they would give me a deal on their last 2012, he told me 52k

acrbill

Established Member
I would definitely go for the 2013 if the best they could do is $52k. Wait out the initial release and you can probably find a base 2013 for around or less than that.

I would rather have a base 2013 than a loaded 2012 assuming the price was the same.

BTRStang

USMC Ret.
Established Member
Get the 2013. My 2011 SVTPP is simply over-geared. The car needs 3.73's like I need a hangover. Not. Modding it and adding 100 hp to an overgeared car will just make things worse. And you'll still get to listen to the "normal" moan from the disc-type differential every time you go around a corner. Joy! I can't wait to get a Torsen....

As another poster said, by the time you get a 2012 sorted out, you'll have 10K plus into the car and your warranty will be gone. Launch control and doing 0-60 in first will make you a stoplight demon. I'm sorry, but hearing the guy next to you on the street in the 2013 GT500 engaging launch control and the motor popping against the rev limiter at the traffic light will simply freak out most challengers.

Also, being able to drop the car into second gear at highway speed and do a roll-on in second will make you tough to beat on the highway as well. With the 2013 model, Ford has finally gotten the Shelby sorted out. I thank the ZL1 Camaro for motivating that.

At the end of the day, it's only money. I grew up restoring an old muscle car because I came from humble roots and had no $$$. I always wondered who ordered my car when it was new and what adventures the car had been through. I have the yellowed and battle-scarred shift knob from my 1970 442 on my 2011 GT500 right now. It's a connection to the past.

Now that I've busted my hump for 20+ years and have the cash, I feel obligated to get these super hot cars out of the factory and onto the street. Someday, 40+ years from now when I'm gone, some young guy will be restoring my Shelby and wondering about who drove it off the showroom floor all those years ago. I literally drove mine off the showroom floor, with my wife beside me, urging me to do a burnout in the showroom....Ah, now there's a good woman!!

If we don't buy these cars today, young Americans will be stuck restoring Camrys. Somehow, that just seems wrong......

Couldn't agree more, well said.....

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I was considering a 12 with PP but the added improvements and creature comforts of the 2013 really won me over...

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
Yeah, im still going for the 13 but the dealers near me dont seem to want to play. They all suck around my town. Even some of them think they cant order one because they already ordered there allocations. "Its a Shelby sorry, we can only sell the allocations we get in. After that we cant sell anymore".......God I hate dumb dealers. The ones that actually know they can get more in are wanting a 10k dealer markup. Im NOT doing that.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Sounds like a win-win decision either way! According to the Hennessey testing over on the Camero5 forum, both the 2012 and 2013 GT500 should be capable of beating the ZL-1 anyway, so have fun deciding!

reason4treason

Established Member
I guess it depends on what you want to get. The 12's are still great cars and good deals can be had. For a 13 you are going to have to search a bit or travel for a good deal. just the way it will be for a while.

As for the mod thing, if you get it done right, or even have a svt dealer do them, you can still have a warranty. The work done on my car is STILL with my warranty. It just depends on the relationship you have with the dealer. My 08 Mustang GT was modded up. Saleen S/C Fr3 Suspension, LCA' UCA's and Side exhaust...All warranty. Now gratnted I still had some warranty left, but I was told that the warranty died with me when I traded in.

As I said, depends on your relationship with your dealer. If was me ? Hmm not sure really. I love deals, and if I could find a good good good deal on a 12, I would probably pull the trigger.

It's amazing how big of a price difference there can be among dealers, even if those dealerhips are only a few miles away. Last month I spoke of a dealership in San Jose that actually still has a new '08 KR sitting in the showroom with an $85K+ sticker still in the window. Don't know what they're asking for it, but last week they got 2 new '12s in, and each one instantly had a $14,995 markup put on the car right next to the window sticker. Meanwhile, less than 10 miles away another dealership had 2 '12s last week, each marked down at least $6K. This week, one is gone, and the second one with msrp of $53,600 is priced at $46,210. So between $15K above and $7300+ below you're talking more than $22K price difference, all things being equal.

squidward

Definitely 2013.

The only way I would settle for a 2012 is if there was a very, very compelling offer for one (well below invoice). Even if you were able to get a 2012 at invoice, that's about $6K cheaper than a 2013 MSRP, yet you're also losing out on a considerable number of improvements with the 2013 on top of the extra 100HP.

With a little negotiating, it's not too difficult to get dealerships to agree to a 2013 GT500 retail order at MSRP.

drmustang

Banned
Definitely 2013.

The only way I would settle for a 2012 is if there was a very, very compelling offer for one (well below invoice). Even if you were able to get a 2012 at invoice, that's about $6K cheaper than a 2013 MSRP, yet you're also losing out on a considerable number of improvements with the 2013 on top of the extra 100HP.

With a little negotiating, it's not too difficult to get dealerships to agree to a 2013 GT500 retail order at MSRP.

It is difficult to consider a full sticker price sale as a "Good Deal" when you see '12s discounted $7,300 and the 13s have a 5 grand price increase.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
2012, and I sell them, with a tune and minor mods, you have 650 HP, and can probably save $10,000.00 or better vs a 2013. Just my thoughts...enjoy whatever you decide on

Might be true, but that extra HP won't be under warranty. Having 650hp WITH warranty is a big deal to me.

I think the 2013-2014 will be the last of this kind of HP from mustang, the new 2015 will be a completely different design model.

Users who are viewing this thread