Legality of performing "donuts" in a public parking lot covered in snow

99blkzx2

Established Member
Hi, all.

Have a video of yours truly having a little donut fun in a public lot (no cars were present). Wondering about possible repercussions if posted for viewing pleasure online. I keep my online activities "private," but you never know who can get butthurt over this.

Lot is directly adjacent to public b-ball courts and next to some summer water park business. No cars/pedestrians/animals were either present or hurt during the shoot. I was not going over 10-15 mph, and most of it was going in circles.

Appreciate your opinions (possibly very strong ones).

Zemedici

Established Member
Shouldn't be an issue really, one thing to be having a little fun in an empty parking lot vs splitting through traffic at 110, ya know? Best be good donuts!! Let's see em!

Troponin

Established Member
What they get you for when they go after someone for that stuff is up to the officer, but can range from reckless driving, destruction of property, disorderly conduct, and possibly excessive noise.

Regardless, it's state to state and things change when you're on private property.

99blkzx2

Established Member
Shouldn't be an issue really, one thing to be having a little fun in an empty parking lot vs splitting through traffic at 110, ya know? Best be good donuts!! Let's see em!

LOL I'm no professional, but it looked decent enough. If we reach a consensus, I might post it up.

What they get you for when they go after someone for that stuff is up to the officer, but can range from reckless driving, destruction of property, disorderly conduct, and possibly excessive noise.

Regardless, it's state to state and things change when you're on private property.

I hear ya. I wasn't caught directly, but would the vid fly as "evidence?" My plates could be seen if somebody really wanted to trace it to me.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

The burden of proof is on them. They have to prove who is driving and where it was, not just who the vehicle belongs to.

Here in VA, it would be Reckless Driving, which is a jailable offense. Using posts from a public forum along with videos posted are admissible in a court of law. As long as an LEO is able to prove location of offense (common knowledge on LEO part), a reasonable time frame the offense took place, and who the driver is (public social media postings admissible), a person CAN BE charged.

That being said, UNLESS somebody REALLY endangers another person by committing these acts, it would take a hard ass LEO to bring up charges on a person for it.

99blkzx2

Established Member

Here in VA, it would be Reckless Driving, which is a jailable offense. Using posts from a public forum along with videos posted are admissible in a court of law. As long as an LEO is able to prove location of offense (common knowledge on LEO part), a reasonable time frame the offense took place, and who the driver is (public social media postings admissible), a person CAN BE charged.

That being said, UNLESS somebody REALLY endangers another person by committing these acts, it would take a hard ass LEO to bring up charges on a person for it.

VA has always had some strict laws, from what I gathered reading this forum.

This wouldn't happen to be downtown okc would it?

Nah, I am not that cool yet. It would seem like a perfect spot with ton of empty lots, though :)

Rings

Established Member
I just saw a video of a Memphis police officer doing the exact same thing.

While you can be cited for it, IF they wanted to investigate and be a hard ass...I say post it, if what youre saying is true about NO one around and such.

cbj5259

Established Member
In PA it would be considered reckless driving and trespass by motor vehicle (unless you had permission from the owner of the parking lot). As was stated above it would take a lot of digging on the part of an officer for a few traffic tickets. That being said, I would think twice about posting any illegal activities for the world to see. You never know when that stuff can come back to bite you in the ass. Once it's on the Internet it will be there forever in one form or another.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Yall must live in some real hard ass states. In GA, the trooper would ask you who taught you how to do that and then show you the proper way in his cruiser!

Users who are viewing this thread