LEO's Please come in.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
Hey Guys, I have a question to ask about how you handle the job after years of service.

I will you give you a quick back ground on myself and what happened. I would at a very busy nightclub "my friends owns it and needs someone he can trust to run security" Saturday night I was standing by the bar, this punk looking kid started yelling at this gf and then smacked her in the face very hard, I herd the slap over the music. I grabbed this kid and dragged him out of the bar, put him to the ground and flagged the police over. Long story short they let him go because they didn't see him do it. His gf was no where to be found and it was just my story.

I just wanted to know how you guys feel showing up to a crime that you didn't see take place but could tell something happened but can't make an arrest. Are you guys just numb to the fact that the law protects these people?

I always wanted to be a cop, I apply'd to my local force and got a first interview. I few days after i was playing pickup hockey with some friends and i feel. Broke my elbow right in half, needless to say i will never get the chance now. But after seeing so many cops look so ran down i feel like it was a blessing.

Last edited:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Hey Guys, I have a question to ask about how you handle the job after years of service.

I will you give you a quick back ground on myself and what happened. I would at a very busy nightclub "my friends owns it and needs someone he can trust to run security" Saturday night I was standing by the bar, this punk looking kid started yelling at this gf and then smacked her in the face very hard, I herd the slap over the music. I grabbed this kid and dragged him out of the bar, put him to the ground and flagged the police over. Long story short they let him go because they didn't see him do it. His gf was no where to be found and it was just my story.

I just wanted to know how you guys feel showing up to a crime that you didn't see take place but could tell something happened but can't make an arrest. Are you guys just numb to the fact that the law protects these people?
I always wanted to be a cop, I apply'd to my local force and got a first interview. I few days after i was playing pickup hockey with some friends and i feel. Broke my elbow right in half, needless to say i will never get the chance now. But after seeing so many cops look so ran down i feel like it was a blessing.

There's 3 sides to every story. Both parties' version of what happened and then what really happened. I don't sweat it too much and rely on the physical evidence that's there or even better independent witnesses. You can also get a lot of "bad guys" to admit what they did if you just talk to them.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Officer's can't charge based on heresay, unless they have some sort of visible proof, and a complaint from the victim.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
There's 3 sides to every story. Both parties' version of what happened and then what really happened. I don't sweat it too much and rely on the physical evidence that's there or even better independent witnesses. You can also get a lot of "bad guys" to admit what they did if you just talk to them.

Officer's can't charge based on heresay, unless they have some sort of visible proof, and a complaint from the victim.

Yeah, I fully understand how the system works. I just want to know how it makes you feel when you know you want to do something about it, but you "can't"

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Yeah, I fully understand how the system works. I just want to know how it makes you feel when you know you want to do something about it, but you "can't"

Not often that I get into that situation. To me, if a victim doesn't want help (Ie the girl in your situation since she left and didn't call the police she obviously wasn't that concerned about it) or if there is no physical evidence, I don't really let it bother me.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
consider yourself blessed to be going into any other career....4 years down for me.....26 to go...

wesessiah

Established Member

Not often that I get into that situation. To me, if a victim doesn't want help (Ie the girl in your situation since she left and didn't call the police she obviously wasn't that concerned about it) or if there is no physical evidence, I don't really let it bother me.

i like when they won't show up, or "forget" what happened when court comes around. i'd say the more frustrating aspect is bad domestic situations, where the suspect is arrested, and the victim keeps forgiving and forgetting and letting them come back, then calls the police again for the same thing.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Officers that look "run down" allow themselves to get that way. In a sense.

If they don't "want" to do the job then they should find other employment, same goes if they simply "can't". Sometimes there are things in this job that really bother you, but you have to pick up the pieces and keep going. It becomes pretty clear at times who is able, and who is not able to do just that. Those that can't need to get out or get help. It becomes a bad situation for everyone when they choose to ignore these signs.

As far as those victims helping themselves go, sometimes there's nothing we can say or do to get them to take that step. They know what they have to do and chances are we won't be the first person, or last to tell them that.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Officers that look "run down" allow themselves to get that way. In a sense.

If they don't "want" to do the job then they should find other employment, same goes if they simply "can't". Sometimes there are things in this job that really bother you, but you have to pick up the pieces and keep going. It becomes pretty clear at times who is able, and who is not able to do just that. Those that can't need to get out or get help. It becomes a bad situation for everyone when they choose to ignore these signs.

As far as those victims helping themselves go, sometimes there's nothing we can say or do to get them to take that step. They know what they have to do and chances are we won't be the first person, or last to tell them that.

Agreed. Sometimes not being able to do something can be frustrating, but you either quickly learn how to deal with it or you just become angry cop. Me I always remember this " you can't save everyone". It applies to a lot of things and as humans we are all different how we deal along with those citizens we deal with, how they choose to handle things. However as a good cop, you learn to affect people's lives or make change without making an arrest.. Verbal Judo goes a long way.....having someone you trust to vent to also. Bottling it up or finding solace at the bottom of a bottle is never good, and I have seen that before.

cbj5259

Established Member
It doesn't bother me at all. If people don't want to help themselves I don't feel bad for them. I feel bad for the victims who can't do anything for themselves like kids and the elderly. A woman who is abused and then fails to stick around to tell the police her story or fails to show up for a hearing...don't feel bad for her.

Sent from my sharona

Badass_Forever

Established Member
well as a follow up question. I'm about to turn 28 and next month i will be having this plate removed from my elbow. The gym has always been a huge part of my life and i cant wait to get back into it again.

Am i to old now to even try and apply, I would say i would be ready to apply again at 30 the latest.

Is it really one of the "best" careers out there?

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
well as a follow up question. I'm about to turn 28 and next month i will be having this plate removed from my elbow. The gym has always been a huge part of my life and i cant wait to get back into it again.

Am i to old now to even try and apply, I would say i would be ready to apply again at 30 the latest.

It honestly depends. It's not for some people. You certainly wont get rich doing it; it takes a special breed.

You're nowhere near too old, as a matter of fact I wish I would have waited until I was more mature to apply (I started as a Deputy at 24 years old)

wesessiah

Established Member

some places have age restrictions... such as nc troopers must be done with the academy before their 38th birthday (if not 38, it's within a year of that in either direction.) there was a 39 year old that went through rookie school with me; he's a deputy.if you're worried about your age for yourself, some places have 20 year retirement, so that would put you at 50 in one of those places.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

This depends on what you are looking for in a career. I've been in it as a Trooper for 14 years, and I honestly wouldn't want tobe doing anything else. But it has been said before, it takes a special kind of person to be an LEO. If you are up for dealing with society's shitheads and idiots, being cursed at everyday for your job, being told to go get a real job, asked the most ridiculous questions ever, see stuff that no other person would ever want to see, have people constantly accuse of being a "dirty cop" because of some other bad apple they previously dealt with, and have people argue with you on a public forum becasue they don't like hearing the truth about the laws, then being an LEO could be for you!

But yes, if being an LEO is truly a calling for you, then it is the best career ever.

JST A HDA

Established Member

A lot of departments I have looked into have the cut off date in the late 30's if I remember correctly. I havent applied to any in awhile since getting on with a department here in Ohio but no you almost being 28 isnt going to keep you from getting a LEO job. I am 28 now and was finally picked up in Feb of this year. My father who is a LEO in Colo Spgs since 91 told me that the average age they hire is 27/28 for some reason but is prob b/c of college b/c they require at least 60 credit hours of college to apply.

Users who are viewing this thread